[Root][TWRP][COTR][BOOTLOADERS]Kindle Fire Utility v0.9.9 (4/5/13) [1st Gen Only!]

Search This thread

Gremlin180

Oct 20, 2020
kindle mess

Hi, there, sorry to resurrect this tread.

newbie trying to sort a kindle fire first gen, but its shows its running 7.5.1.

Currently its playing up and sometime going into a boot loop, having reset the kindle like 500times it will sometime crash. Something is very wrong. This is happening mainly when i try and open the app store, as nothing shows up and reverts back to the main screen. Currently i am trying to install twrp to maybe try and rescue the tablet, but with little or no success as it crashes every now and again.
I managed to root it, but thats as far as i got.

I am now fed up with amazon and want to turn it into an android tablet.

Running on pc with win 10 or a linux mint machine, on win 10 it will not recognise the boot options, will try what i read here and disable the software signing thingy.

Anything else i should do?? before i turn this thing into a paperweight!

Thanks and regards Patrick

Reactions: Azukegi

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor / XDA Welcome Team
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
Hi, there, sorry to resurrect this tread.

newbie trying to sort a kindle fire first gen, but its shows its running 7.5.1.

Currently its playing up and sometime going into a boot loop, having reset the kindle like 500times it will sometime crash. Something is very wrong. This is happening mainly when i try and open the app store, as nothing shows up and reverts back to the main screen. Currently i am trying to install twrp to maybe try and rescue the tablet, but with little or no success as it crashes every now and again.
I managed to root it, but thats as far as i got.

I am now fed up with amazon and want to turn it into an android tablet.

Running on pc with win 10 or a linux mint machine, on win 10 it will not recognise the boot options, will try what i read here and disable the software signing thingy.

Anything else i should do?? before i turn this thing into a paperweight!

Thanks and regards Patrick
7.5.1 is not a first gen
KFU could brick it
Fire Index: Which Amazon (Kindle) Fire Do I have?

Sent from my payton_sprout using XDA Labs

Gremlin180

Oct 20, 2020
7.5.1 is not a first gen
KFU could brick it
Fire Index: Which Amazon (Kindle) Fire Do I have?

Sent from my payton_sprout using XDA Labs

Hi, thanks for the reply, ok learning curve for me.

so its a Tate kindle fire HD.

Since my post yesterday the tablet seems to have settled down and is stable, only changes i made were poking around all the system folders in android studio. moved some downloaded apks to the downloads folder ready to fire flash and install twrp.

So far i have failed again as the darn es explorer wants me to pay to install apks! anyway, let me go to the appropriate section here at xda and see what i can find to at least a way to install google play store.

Regards Patrick

Krzyjstr13

Nov 7, 2020
Hey all.
I just uncovered my 1st Gen. Kindle Fire and I thought it would be a fun little project to try and root it and install a stock Android OS on it.

Anyway, it's running 6.3.4 and I downloaded KFU on my WIndows 10 PC, successfully ran the "install_drivers.bat." So when I open up KFU it says "ADB Status: Online" but "Boot Status: Unknown." I went ahead and ran Option 2) "Install Permanent Root with Superuser" anyway, but it just stops and says this:

Fastboot uses a different device than ADB.

You should check device manager for "Kindle" or "Amazon"
If you see it, rerun the driver installer that came packaged with KFU.

Installing FFF...
< waiting for device >

I have rerun the driver install twice, and I still get the same message. I don't know why it keeps getting stuck, but I've kind of run out of ideas so I decided to come here and see if anyone could offer any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor / XDA Welcome Team
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
Hey all.
I just uncovered my 1st Gen. Kindle Fire and I thought it would be a fun little project to try and root it and install a stock Android OS on it.

Anyway, it's running 6.3.4 and I downloaded KFU on my WIndows 10 PC, successfully ran the "install_drivers.bat." So when I open up KFU it says "ADB Status: Online" but "Boot Status: Unknown." I went ahead and ran Option 2) "Install Permanent Root with Superuser" anyway, but it just stops and says this:

Fastboot uses a different device than ADB.

You should check device manager for "Kindle" or "Amazon"
If you see it, rerun the driver installer that came packaged with KFU.

Installing FFF...
< waiting for device >

I have rerun the driver install twice, and I still get the same message. I don't know why it keeps getting stuck, but I've kind of run out of ideas so I decided to come here and see if anyone could offer any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

KFU doesn't work with 6.3.4
[How To][Root] Kindle Fire 1 update 6.3.4 [2014]

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

raclapp

Dec 6, 2019
Amazon 4th gen hdx root issue

Anyone know if anything available for 4th gen fire hdx? Tired of updates ruining it and want to root. It is os 5

Xag803

Jan 1, 2021
Question: I have a kindle gen 7 (2017). Would this work on it or would I need a different tool? If I would need a different tool, could I get a link to one that I can use?

Last edited:

robocyo

Jan 19, 2023
if anybodys still there i keep getting

twrp.img is missing.
So we will download it for you!

2 [main] cat 13264 find_fast_cwd: WARNING: Couldn't compute FAST_CWD pointer. Please report this problem to
the public mailing list cygwin@cygwin.com
wget: missing URL
Usage: wget [OPTION]... ... Try `wget --help' for more options. Download successful.

and then

couldn't write bp1, panic!

The kindle has been told to reboot in Fastboot Mode. and it doesnt reeboot into fast mode

< waiting for device > and it waits forever

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    WARNING: The following files ONLY work for the Original KF. Running this on a 2nd Generation KF will brick the device.

From Original thread:

Hi all, some of you may have seen my utility over in the de-bricking thread. My goal at this point is to try and make lives easier for everyone I can.

So what I have done is created a script that can be used to handle a lot of common things people may want, and I will continue to add things people request that I think would be easy, and beneficial. I just wanted to make this situation easier for the average person.

You will see how the tool detects you at the default screen, and can refresh it by hitting 0 at any menu to have it refresh ADB/Fastboot and see what mode the kindle is in.

Currently the tool comes packaged with the drivers required to operate ADB and Fastboot.

Please note: If your device can't be seen in fastboot mode, please make sure to install the drivers packaged with this, as it will show up afterwards. You can use the install_drivers.bat with the device plugged in for this.

Usage should be straight forward for the tool. If you are having issues with something, this tool has a good chance of getting you back on track.

Rooting has been tested with the latest update (6.3.2) and it works 100%. Be sure to have your device booted up in normal mode before running the root.

Features:
    • Automatic elevation to root for tool operations.
    • Full root install.
    • Auto detect current bootmode.
    • Auto Detect ADB/Fastboot Online/Offline.
    • Auto download update.zip from Amazon.
    • Auto download and install TWRP Recovery.
    • Auto download and install COTR Recovery.
    • Auto download and install FFF Bootloader.
    • Manage current bootmodes.
    • Manage Read/Write.
    • Install GoogleApps/Market/GoLauncherEX.
    • Lock/Unlock the Wallpaper from being changed.
      As of 3/16/2013:
    • Doesn't support CWM for now bad DL link and seems there is no updated, stable version.
    • Automated Dual-Boot installation and Un-Dual Boot
    • Choose Amazon Firmware to update to
    • More to come... This needs a bit of a code re-write from the things I added. Expect it to be updated soon.
    Please feel free to contact me if I should add even more features to this :)

Here are some screen-shots:

More to come...

Please leave a message if this tool does not help you, malfunctions, or just to say thank you, or request more features!

Don't forget to donate to teamwin for their awesome recovery system over at: Team Win Website

Current Downloads:

v0.9.9 Download

Older Downloads:

v0.9.8 Download

Changelog:
    Code:
    4/5/13: v0.9.9 now has an option to install COTR recovery. 
    Squashed a few bugs including the superuser.apk not 
    installing bug.

3/17/13: v0.9.8+ includes even more bug fixes from v0.9.8 
    and now implements the dual boot feature. 
    Please read the README.txt inside the zip.

3/16/13: A few major code bugs fixed. Removed DL link for v0.9.7 
    because of these bugs. 100% tested and working with everything.

3/15/13: Initial upload... v0.9.7

Credits: VashyPooh for script and permission to maintain.

Initial work by ubeezee & yareally on there forum thread.
    Full revert based off method from Clavin, "tweaked" by Vashypooh.
    Full credit of TWRP goes to Team Win for releasing an awesome tool! Good job guys.
    I checked with Dees_Troy prior to integrating TWRP install into the tool, and he was alright with it. If this changes, it will be changed or completely removed per their request.
    rooobbbbb on XDA for the Wallpaper Lock trick.
    Jolleyboy/Bandage on XDA for Android Market guide/ Android Apps.
    Sync settings found by Abramel @ XDA.
    Zeb for testing 0.9.4!

If you are asking for help and can't post here, please post in Q&A forums here.
    If you CAN post and are asking for help please provide some required information listed below to receive best solutions right away.

Provide:
    • Windows Verson
    • 32-bit or 64-bit
    • What steps you have taken
    • What device manager says about your device
    • Version of KFU you are using
    • Exact error you recieve
    Awesome! Will this work with Linux too?

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Tapatalk HD

Not yet but I do have plans ;)
    so i lost my root due to the update. tried rooting with the new kfu. well when i slected that option, i selected normal boot. the kindle rebooted. well after it reboot i acidently selected fastboot. the kindle rebooted and i cant get it past the kindle fire screen. now what do i do? please help.

UPDATE: i got it fix. i select the wrong command. it rebooted in to twrp after installing fff, twrp, and setting the recovery bootmode. rebooted and stil didnot achive root. what did i do wrong?

Don't know what you did... Try the root option again. Maybe it will work. Be sure to have run the install_drivers.bat and to double check what option you're selecting and have your kindle powered up and booted into normal mode before running the root option.

I tried to install permanent superuser to get my root back (that it had for 6.3.1) using the 2nd selection but I just have dual boot and no root!
    what happened?

What option did you select? Again, be sure to double check what you select and if you don't want dual boot run the un-dual boot option, then re-run the root option.

To all users:
    This utility has been tested thoroughly. There is no reason to have such major issues if you: A. Follow directions properly and read the onscreen instructions. and B. Run the install_drivers.bat executable and install your drivers. then finally C. Have your device booted up into Normal mode before proceeding with installations unless you are bricked you can have your device in any mode to install TWRP and FFF... :p
    Just puttin that out there so there can be less questions here :)

Good luck to all of you.
    @soupmagnet

Im well aware of my own post in another section.This post is in regards to the kindle fire utility and the bundled drivers and installer. While that post is a more broad post looking for an outside solution to my issue.Since the kindle connects as a adb device, MTP device, and mass storage device there is a more complex setup than most devices
    Okay first off, arguing with another developer about how well their "works" work will get you nowhere on this site and you put yourself at risk of getting a Moderator involved...but that's just some friendly advice from one user to another, so you can take it for what it's worth.

The point of directing you to your original post, where I had posted another link, was so you can educate yourself and have a better foundation that can empower you to make a more educated suggestion/bug report/whatever.

Having said that, if you used the information that you learned from that post, compared it to the way KFU's driver install package works, and respectfully offered a suggestion to the developer that can help to make the KFU work better in more situations, I'm absolutely positive you would get a better response from him and possibly even lead to an updated version that will work in yours and possibly other situations.
    Just picked up the my kindle fire 6.3.2- sorry for the neewb question, however I want to make sure I have the process correct.

download and extract utility to my pc
    run.bat
    install root and SU
    install TWRP
    install FFF
    install custom rom

Thank you for taking the time sorry for the questions

You got it right, except install drivers first before run.bat :p
    Then you just hit the root option and it will install FFF and TWRP on its own ;)

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using xda app-developers app