Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,962 Members 40,271 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[WIP][*POSSIBLE SOLUTION*] Restoring Missing Apps Post Unlock: Your Help is Needed

Tip us?

fernando sor
Old
Recognized Themer
Thanks Meter 5388
Default Re: [WIP][*POSSIBLE SOLUTION*] Restoring Missing Apps Post Unlock: Your Help is Neede

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNexus View Post
Its not a bug, HTC has done this purposely so that you cannot update.

And for everyone who says that you wouldnt want to take OTAs anyway, just wait till a nice update rolls around and then you'll be saying different
If your unlocked you would flash that update as a rom. I'm having a hard time accepting that you wouldn't know that

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda premium
Bad seed Customs Founder

CNexus
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 13287

DONATE TO ME
Default Re: [WIP][*POSSIBLE SOLUTION*] Restoring Missing Apps Post Unlock: Your Help is Neede

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando sor View Post
If your unlocked you would flash that update as a rom. I'm having a hard time accepting that you wouldn't know that

You would. But sometimes people cant wait long enough for devs to update their roms to the new base
Sign up for the new Copy file storage service with this link and get both of us an extra 5 GB!
Or sign up for Dropbox with this link and we can both grab some extra storage!

Hunt3r.j2
Old
Thanks Meter 200
Quote:
You would. But sometimes people cant wait long enough for devs to update their roms to the new base
And the same people that aren't patient enough and want instant gratification are also the ones that have the greatest tendency to hard-brick devices, who would've thought...

fernando sor
Old
Recognized Themer
Thanks Meter 5388

Quote:
Generally updates are anticipated and usually a stock version will be posted soon after the ota. Actually the fact that you can't receive an ota after unlocking will save a lot of noobs from installing a new locked down bootloader.
OTAs can easily be pulled from your cache. Someone would pull it and upload it.

Bad seed Customs Founder

CNexus
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 13287

DONATE TO ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando sor View Post
Generally updates are anticipated and usually a stock version will be posted soon after the ota. Actually the fact that you can't receive an ota after unlocking will save a lot of noobs from installing a new locked down bootloader.
OTAs can easily be pulled from your cache. Someone would pull it and upload it.

I know, I'm not trying to say that it would be there thing to do or the right thing to do, I am only saying in general.
But yes, that is how you pull an OTA, and it definitely is helpful to not accidentally (or purposely) unroot your phone.
Sign up for the new Copy file storage service with this link and get both of us an extra 5 GB!
Or sign up for Dropbox with this link and we can both grab some extra storage!

MaartenXDA
Old
Thanks Meter 1116

DONATE TO ME

So, did anyone restore apps? If so, can someone attach the calculator.apk?

Sent from my awesome fridge

Trekest
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaartenXDA View Post
So, did anyone restore apps? If so, can someone attach the calculator.apk?

See my OP - it has a carbon backup of all the missing apps. Just get Carbon from the play store (free) and restore them.

If you could also later tell me where it pushed them? (data/app or data/preload)
HTC One M7, Rom: Stock v5.11.401.10
Asus Transformer Prime TF201, Rom: CROMBi-kk 4.4.2 F2FS
Alumni: Nokia 51102 SK Crap SlidersSamsung SCH-A630Samsung SCH-R500Nokia N96 (my first dual core phone, it is!)HTC Sensation
My nickname is uniquely idiotic, and fits the person using it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Trekest For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

MaartenXDA
Old
Thanks Meter 1116

DONATE TO ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekest View Post
See my OP - it has a carbon backup of all the missing apps. Just get Carbon from the play store (free) and restore them.

If you could also later tell me where it pushed them? (data/app or data/preload)
Yeah saw it, and found the apps in TrickDroid ROM zip. Thanks for the work here, but I can't test it cause I don't have the one.

soyef
Old
Thanks Meter 49
I just installed the apks within the zip file and all seems fine

rampo
Old
Thanks Meter 18

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekest View Post
As reported by Modaco, it seems that unlocking the bootloader removes some system apps, among them are the Calculator, Flashlight, Ringtone Trimmer and Sound Recorder (and I've seen a report that the Teeter game is gone too).

Now, I haven't got my own One yet, however I do have access to a Canadian variant from work and we've got another one in America running an older build.
It was running 1.27, now it is running 1.28.

I cannot access the data partition, obviously, not even for read (it is not rooted), however using the pm command I managed to discover which packages are located in the preload directory (excluding the carrier specific apps from my variant):
  • com.android.calculator2
  • com.htc.flashlight
  • com.htc.pdfviewer
  • com.htc.ringtonetrimmer
  • com.htc.soundrecorder
Initially I thought ODEX files might be needed, but these are located in the data partition and as far as I know there are no ODEX files there (correct me if I'm wrong).

Using Carbon I've backed them up (see attached here), only thing left is to check whether they can be restored and work properly on unlocked Ones. It might not fit every variant, testing required. Perhaps it might even allow using OTA updates.

If you haven't unlocked your bootloader yet, I suggest trying this beforehand instead of the attached files:
  1. Through ADB, use:
    adb shell pm list packages -f | find "preload"
  2. Backup these apps using Carbon.
  3. Unlock bootloader.
  4. Restore using Carbon.
Please let me know if this works.
It works with a relocked bootloader
Pietro Rampini

Follow me on GitHub
Check out my library: UpdateChecker featured on XDA Portal!

Devices:
HTC One
ROM: Android Revolution 41.0
Kernel: Stock (3.4.10-gdf6147)
Baseband: 4a.13.3231.27_10.31.1131.05L

Galaxy Nexus
ROM: Paranoid Android 3.50 (Android 4.2.2)
Kernel: Stock
Baseband: I9250XXLF1