FORUMS

How to Listen to Beats 1 on Android Right Now

If you felt a bit left out by Apple launching their own online radio station Beats 1 … more

NVidia SHIELD TV – XDA TV Device Review

The SHIELD TV is a not an Android smartphone device. However, that doesn’t mean it … more

PSA: Having cellular connectivity or texting issues tonight?

You’re not alone…Tonight, many users are experiencing a myriad … more

Beats Music No Longer Accepting New Accounts

Whenever Apple launches a new product or service, it definitely manages to grab the … more

Anyone else have tiny nicks in the aluminium

670 posts
Thanks Meter: 102
 
By jonstatt, Senior Member on 17th March 2013, 11:06 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
A tiny gripe for the perfectionists. But I noticed after a day, that I had a couple of tiny little nicks in the aluminium. As the phone had just been lying on my desk and hadn't been taken outside it must have come that way. I didn't see them at first because they are on the edges and not on the back surface. It is very tiny and it was because it caught the light that I noticed it. I remember when the iPhone 5 came out there were scores of people with chips on the black iPhones that showed silver underneath. This is nowhere near as bad as that....just the light catching the fact that the surface is not quite flat. I had the same with an iPhone 4 a few years ago as well. Seems to me that aluminium is very dingable, even in the factory.

Anyone else notice this?
The Following User Says Thank You to jonstatt For This Useful Post: [ View ]
 
 
17th March 2013, 11:20 AM |#2  
Senior Member
Flag Bridgend, Wales
Thanks Meter: 232
 
More
Re: Anyone else have tiny nicks in the aluminium
Mines fine so far, no complaints.

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app
17th March 2013, 11:52 AM |#3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 16
 
More
None really had a small black mark but managed to get rid of it quite easily
17th March 2013, 12:01 PM |#4  
poondog's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 12,669
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonstatt

A tiny gripe for the perfectionists. But I noticed after a day, that I had a couple of tiny little nicks in the aluminium. As the phone had just been lying on my desk and hadn't been taken outside it must have come that way. I didn't see them at first because they are on the edges and not on the back surface. It is very tiny and it was because it caught the light that I noticed it. I remember when the iPhone 5 came out there were scores of people with chips on the black iPhones that showed silver underneath. This is nowhere near as bad as that....just the light catching the fact that the surface is not quite flat. I had the same with an iPhone 4 a few years ago as well. Seems to me that aluminium is very dingable, even in the factory.

Anyone else notice this?

What colour and is it possible that you post some pictures? I would like to follow this as would a lot of potential buyers Thanks, I have run out of thanks for the day
Please keep us posted about this
17th March 2013, 12:17 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 102
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by markj338

What colour and is it possible that you post some pictures? I would like to follow this as would a lot of potential buyers Thanks, I have run out of thanks for the day
Please keep us posted about this

I tried to take a photo of it, but I am going to need someone at home to help me take the picture as its all about getting the light angled correctly so that its clear in the picture. So I will need someone to hold the phone at the right angle so I can get a picture to show. I will try and see if I can get a picture shortly. It is a silver phone, the only colour available right now.
17th March 2013, 10:25 PM |#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 59
 
More
It's not possible to make it 'perfect' so there will be slight defects.

Mine has a tiny little mark on the top that unless you really look for it in certain light its not possible to really see.
17th March 2013, 10:31 PM |#7  
Senior Member
Flag İstanbul
Thanks Meter: 105
 
Donate to Me
More
Unless there's a real dent or chip on the casing, it shouldn't be a problem. I know it can annoy perfectionists but man, that is aluminium, it is understandable (to an extent, of course)
18th March 2013, 09:56 PM |#8  
Junior Member
London
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Talking
yep, my silver came with tiny nicks..could feel them when i ran my fingers down the side.not there now [3 days later], maybe 'ironed' out lol
19th March 2013, 11:30 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 102
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lezduur

yep, my silver came with tiny nicks..could feel them when i ran my fingers down the side.not there now [3 days later], maybe 'ironed' out lol

Haha...I hope the metal is not SO soft such that it would be possible!

I have wondered if a fingernail is able to nick the edges of the metal. The anodising is only on the back surface. So the bevelled edges will be more suceptible. It is the edge where I noticed a couple of tiny nicks.

I was reading that a fingernal has a hardness of 2.5 (on some scale that I forget the name of). And aluminium is 2.5-3. This would suggest a fingernail striking the edge of the phone could put a nick it. But I am not willing to try intentionally to do so!
19th March 2013, 11:40 AM |#10  
mang0's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag San Diego
Thanks Meter: 106
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonstatt

Haha...I hope the metal is not SO soft such that it would be possible!

I have wondered if a fingernail is able to nick the edges of the metal. The anodising is only on the back surface. So the bevelled edges will be more suceptible. It is the edge where I noticed a couple of tiny nicks.

I was reading that a fingernal has a hardness of 2.5 (on some scale that I forget the name of). And aluminium is 2.5-3. This would suggest a fingernail striking the edge of the phone could put a nick it. But I am not willing to try intentionally to do so!

Mohs scale! Yeah, they do overlap on the hardness scale, and nails have a history of being able to scratch aluminum (take Macbooks, for instance).
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes