Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,780,114 Members 38,543 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] DNA won't charge/turn on

Tip us?

monkey082506
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Default [Q] DNA won't charge/turn on

Hey guys,

I'm new to the DNA forum and I've searched through a few threads about this but I haven't been able to find much help. Here we go: so as the title states the phone won't turn on and when I put it on the charger no LED's turn on to resemble a charge at all. I've tried the power button for 20 seconds, nothing happens, I've tried the power button, volume down, and even power, volume up and down. None of these seem to give life to the phone.

This is actually my friend's old phone and he got a replacement for it already I'm just trying to see if I can get it working again. So really I have a free DNA to diagnose because Verizon doesn't want it back.

Phone wasn't rooted before it died, pure stock.

Anybody have a suggestion or path you think I should take?

Thanks ahead of time,

monkey

dragonstalker
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,226

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey082506 View Post
Hey guys,

I'm new to the DNA forum and I've searched through a few threads about this but I haven't been able to find much help. Here we go: so as the title states the phone won't turn on and when I put it on the charger no LED's turn on to resemble a charge at all. I've tried the power button for 20 seconds, nothing happens, I've tried the power button, volume down, and even power, volume up and down. None of these seem to give life to the phone.

This is actually my friend's old phone and he got a replacement for it already I'm just trying to see if I can get it working again. So really I have a free DNA to diagnose because Verizon doesn't want it back.

Phone wasn't rooted before it died, pure stock.

Anybody have a suggestion or path you think I should take?

Thanks ahead of time,

monkey
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that you need to ask your friend for the complete story. What happened prior to the phone being bricked? Was there water damage or any other damage. Have you tried other charging cables that are known to be working and looked to make sure the pins inside the charge port have not been broken?

--HTC One (M*8)
--Note 10.1 2k4
-Recovery: TWRP
-Recovery: TWRP
-ROM: NV M8 RLS2
-ROM: xKat V3.2
-Kernel: ?
-Kernel: Bindroid V3

Blog: MobileEscape.blogspot.com

Retired: Behold, G1, MT Fender, MT3G Slide, Vibrant, N1, HD2 (android-Froyo), Viewsonic G-Tablet, AT&T SE Xperia X10i, Samsung Galaxy Tab; HTC Inspire, HTC Sensation, Droid Charge, MYTOUCH4G , Thunderbolt, Droid DNA (traded), Note 2, HTC Rezound, Note 3 (jumped)

Jaggar345
Old
Thanks Meter 152
Default Re: [Q] DNA won't charge/turn on

Sounds bricked to me. If it is bricked only way to get it working is to jtag it and send it out. It will be cheaper than paying for a new dna and if you really want it, it would run you a lot less in terms of money for a jtag repair.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda app-developers app

LakerStar25
Old
Thanks Meter 88

Try letting it charge a full 24hrs and then see if it powers on. If that doesn't work then consider jtag

Sent from my 5 Senses of DNA

monkey082506
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10

Not sure if I'll go the JTAG route or not. Like I said the phone has been replaced already it just sucks I can't take advantage of the phone. I have it sitting on the charger now, going to see if it'll work after a long period of time. There's no water damage, Verizon has checked it already.

If I would JTAG it...what would come of that. I'm not 100% familiar with JTAG, I just did a small amount of googling about it. Looks like a diagnostic procedure?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

ocman40
Old
Thanks Meter 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey082506 View Post
Not sure if I'll go the JTAG route or not. Like I said the phone has been replaced already it just sucks I can't take advantage of the phone. I have it sitting on the charger now, going to see if it'll work after a long period of time. There's no water damage, Verizon has checked it already.

If I would JTAG it...what would come of that. I'm not 100% familiar with JTAG, I just did a small amount of googling about it. Looks like a diagnostic procedure?

Its like a low level format that will restore to factory configuration.
VzW M8 Badseed Tester always running latest Tranquil One!

Jaggar345
Old
Thanks Meter 152

It will get the phone working for a smaller coast than purchasing a new one. So you would still be taking advantage of getting a new phone. If you purchase the phone through Verizon with an upgrade you will be spending around 250$ where as opposed to getting it jtaged I believe you will only be paying 65$ (not sure about price) if you go through mobile tech.

Desert Dwarf
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Upgrade cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggar345 View Post
It will get the phone working for a smaller coast than purchasing a new one. So you would still be taking advantage of getting a new phone. If you purchase the phone through Verizon with an upgrade you will be spending around 250$ where as opposed to getting it jtaged I believe you will only be paying 65$ (not sure about price) if you go through mobile tech.
The upgrade cost is only $99 nowadays. I just got mine Monday from Fry's Electronics for $99.99. If they didn't have it, I was going to order it from wireless [dot] amazon [dot] com for $99.99.

monkey082506
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10

Interesting...I may have to go that route, I'm considering taking it apart and getting a voltage reading off the charging port. That'll at least tell me if the port is working correctly. If I go down that path I'll keep you all updated.

Jaggar345
Old
Thanks Meter 152

They must have dropped price since I got it. It was the same on Amazon and verizon when I get my dna

Tags
dead, won't boot, won't charge