Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,331 Members 39,108 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Disable MMS slideshow (solved)

Tip us?
 
boothcr79
Old
(Last edited by boothcr79; 5th April 2013 at 10:43 PM.)
#1  
boothcr79's Avatar
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 21
Posts: 82
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Corpus Christi
Default Disable MMS slideshow (solved)

Does anyone know how to change the default for MMS pictures to not show in slideshow? I had it set that way on my GS3, but it was a ROM feature (the devils reject). Is there any way to do this on a note2?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Thank you enewman17 for the answer!

Adding this into system/csc/feature does the trick.

<CscFeature_Message_EnableMmsOnePageViewer>true</CscFeature_Message_EnableMmsOnePageViewer>

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda app-developers app
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to boothcr79 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
stewbuntu
Old
#2  
Member
Thanks Meter 7
Posts: 31
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by boothcr79 View Post
Edit: Thank you enewman17 for the answer!

Adding this into system/csc/feature does the trick.

<CscFeature_Message_EnableMmsOnePageViewer>true</CscFeature_Message_EnableMmsOnePageViewer>

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda app-developers app

Do you add a text file to the folder or do I need to figure out how to open the system in a terminal? I am familiar with terminal in Ubuntu, but have not taken the time to root or learn android particulars as all the features I want are already available. Maybe I need to learn to get rid of bloatware.

A quick step by step would be great if you have the time. With thousands of people trying to get rid of the slide show mms why the hell is it still around? I hate it on the Note 2 and my Atrix didn't have it.
 
GFunkOfLex
Old
#3  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 9
Posts: 28
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewbuntu View Post

Do you add a text file to the folder or do I need to figure out how to open the system in a terminal? I am familiar with terminal in Ubuntu, but have not taken the time to root or learn android particulars as all the features I want are already available. Maybe I need to learn to get rid of bloatware.

A quick step by step would be great if you have the time. With thousands of people trying to get rid of the slide show mms why the hell is it still around? I hate it on the Note 2 and my Atrix didn't have it.
You will need a program like Root Explorer to find the xml file in the OP. When he says "Adding this into system/csc/feature does the trick.", feature is actually feature.xml and it's located in the /system/csc directory. With root explorer you can browse to this directory and mount it as R/W to edit the feature.xml file. Once mounted as R/W, open feature.xml in a text editor (integrated in Root Explorer).

Once editing feature.xml, just scroll down to the message options and add the line in the OP. I did this by copying the text on my PC, sending myself a hangouts message, and then copying the message text on my phone. Then I pasted the copied text into the Root Explorer text editor window, menu->save and exit, then Mount R/O in root explorer. Reboot and you should be able to open MMS in non-slideshow mode.

See attached screenshots for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-09-05-14-59-15[1].jpg
Views:	479
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	2237490   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-09-05-14-59-52[1].jpg
Views:	440
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	2237491  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GFunkOfLex For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
av8shunmeckaneck
Old
#4  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 1
Join Date: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFunkOfLex View Post
You will need a program like Root Explorer to find the xml file in the OP. When he says "Adding this into system/csc/feature does the trick.", feature is actually feature.xml and it's located in the /system/csc directory. With root explorer you can browse to this directory and mount it as R/W to edit the feature.xml file. Once mounted as R/W, open feature.xml in a text editor (integrated in Root Explorer).

Once editing feature.xml, just scroll down to the message options and add the line in the OP. I did this by copying the text on my PC, sending myself a hangouts message, and then copying the message text on my phone. Then I pasted the copied text into the Root Explorer text editor window, menu->save and exit, then Mount R/O in root explorer. Reboot and you should be able to open MMS in non-slideshow mode.

See attached screenshots for reference.
Worked for me.

Sent from Note 2.
 
gt5oh
Old
#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 59
Posts: 427
Join Date: Apr 2009
Hey sorry to revive this thread, I am on Verizon with a Galaxy S4 and have this same issue... see below -- adding that text ( i am rooted ) did not solve the issue.


Do others have this issue?

MMS messages with text/image come in as a slideshow. Instead of showing the picture and text inside the messaging thread it displays a PLAY ( play) icon and then starts a slideshow.

 
3nius
Old
#6  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 1
Join Date: May 2012
When I use the root explorer and check the /system directory I don't see a csc folder. Is the folder hidden?
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


TRENDING IN THEMER...