Unpacking boot.img of gt-i8160?

Search This thread
R

rs90xda

Hi,

has anyone unpacked the boot.img of our ace 2? I created the boot.img with a CWM backup and also with this command:
Code:
su
dd if=dev/block/mmcblk0p15 of=/mnt/sdcard/boot.img

but i can't unpack the file, get the message "Android 'magic' header not found at start of boot.img" or similar. Tried with Android Kitchen and this command:
Code:
abootimg -x boot.img && mkdir newramdisk && cd newramdisk && zcat ../initrd.img | cpio -i --no-absolute-filenames

Can anyone help me?

michal_ag

Sep 15, 2012
Gdynia
Hi,

has anyone unpacked the boot.img of our ace 2? I created the boot.img with a CWM backup and also with this command:
Code:
su
dd if=dev/block/mmcblk0p15 of=/mnt/sdcard/boot.img

but i can't unpack the file, get the message "Android 'magic' header not found at start of boot.img" or similar. Tried with Android Kitchen and this command:
Code:
abootimg -x boot.img && mkdir newramdisk && cd newramdisk && zcat ../initrd.img | cpio -i --no-absolute-filenames

Can anyone help me?

I took boot.img from CWM Recovery during making recovery :)
boot.img

MinoochX

Feb 16, 2013
MY CITY IS HERE !
If you guys can, take my kernel from MX general thread, take out the kernel.bin.md5, remove the md5 extension by removing the hash sum and then rename kernel.bin to zImage. Then inject it into the boot.ing you have

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2

ccnky

Aug 23, 2012
These tools that you are using doesn't work because for our device there isn't a regular boot.img
kernel.bin.md5 is just gzipped zImage with ramdisk. Note that ramdisk is not compressed (it's raw cpio file). Tomorrow I'll post script to unpack kernel.bin.md5.
But to pack it again the best way is compile kernel with CONFIG_INITRAMFS_SOURCE specified.

Reactions: h3llrais3r

h3llrais3r

Nov 5, 2012
Thanks but how could I know that? I have been looking a lot but couldn't find much info about it... Perhaps I was looking at the wrong places...

[Edit] After your explanation I've found the script myself and extracted the kernel.img.md5 :)

Last edited:

h3llrais3r

Nov 5, 2012
Don't know why but for me this script didn't work on Arch Linux. I had to remove the part where it's checking if cpio is gzipped.

Try the last version in github (see at bottom of page on the link bagnz0r has sent) That one worked for me on cygwin. :D

Sent from my GT-I8160 using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    These tools that you are using doesn't work because for our device there isn't a regular boot.img
    kernel.bin.md5 is just gzipped zImage with ramdisk. Note that ramdisk is not compressed (it's raw cpio file). Tomorrow I'll post script to unpack kernel.bin.md5.
    But to pack it again the best way is compile kernel with CONFIG_INITRAMFS_SOURCE specified.