Ubuntu 13.04 FINAL VERSION for the HP TouchPad.
Brought to you in LESS THAN 24 HOURS AFTER RELEASE by WillCast.
Screenshots of "new" E17 attached to this post!
- Automatic login to Enlightenment 17 (E17)
- All E17 packages (including Terminology) rebuilt from source from the enlightenment-svn PPA.
- e17-gtk-theme installed and activated.
- < 2 GB extracted size. For best results, use a 4GB or larger ubuntu-root. (Most are.)
- GUI Config Programs (see next section)
- Wi-Fi working
- RNDIS over USB working (2.6 and 3.0)
- Bluetooth working except for BTAudio
- Normal Ubuntu boot sequence (no strange initramfs hacks, and working fstab)
- (new and updated) KEXEC IS REQUIRED
- 2.2GHz max Overclock - Not even stable on my TP! (Max 1.78GHz on 3.0.8)
- Working Audio (manual switch between Internal and External)
- AUTOMATIC, TOGGLABLEScreen Rotation
- Software Compositing Enabled
- Desktop Style Interface with Seperate Windows
- Settable Brightness
- Settable Charger Current Limit
- Settable LED Triggers
- VLC Media Player, GStreamer (Rhythmbox/Pithos) pre-configured to work
- PULSEAUDIO (Enslaved to alsa dmix to prevent issues) (yay)
GRAPHICAL TOUCHPAD CONFIG UTILITIES
All are available from the desktop.
- setbrightness (fixed) - Set LCD brightness with a slider.
- setImax (new) - Set the charger current limit from a list.
- setfreq (new) - Configure CPU speed from a list, optionally, set to persist over reboot.
- tsrotate (fixed) - Turn auto-rotation on or off.
- audiocfg - Select the audio output - internal, external or both.
- setLEDtrigger (New) - Select the LED triggers for the left and right sides of the home/center button. Examples provided in dialog.
Available from the EVERYTHING Starter in the Bottom-Left Corner
- Mozilla Firefox
- Gnash (Flash 7-8) plugin, Lightspark (Flash 9+) plugin, IcedTea 7 (Java) plugin
- Pithos (Pandora radio client)
- Rhythmbox (music player)
- VLC media player
- GIMP 2.8
- GNOME system monitor, Baobab disk usage tool, GCalcTool calculator, gedit text editor
- Root password: root
- Normal Username: ubuntu, Password: ubuntu
- Auto-login Enabled
- To configure Bluetooth and date/time, go into System Settings (aka gnome-control-center).
- Use the NetworkManger Applet in the panel to configure Wi-Fi.
TO PERFORM A NEW INSTALL (ONLY), AUTOMATICALLY WITH SMACKME2
SmackMe2 thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2132703
- Copy the two provided files (uImage.kexec and TouchPadBuntuRootfs1304b2.tar.gz) to the sminstall folder under the root of your /media/internal. If "sminstall" does not exist, first create it.
- Follow the instructions on how to install "native Linux' in the SmackMe2 thread.
TO PREPARE FOR MANUAL UPGRADE (NOVATERM)
- Install NovaCom and NovaTerm on your "real" computer - please consult one of the many references on how to install it.
- Boot the TouchPad into WebOS.
- Connect the TouchPad to the PC with a microUSB cable.
- Enter USB mode and copy the uImage.kexec and TouchPadBuntuRootfs1304b2.tar.gz files to the root of your TouchPad's internal storage.
- PROPERLY "eject" the TP from your PC.
- Enter Developer Mode. (In the Just Type box, type "upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart", and select Developer Mode.)
- On your PC, open "novaterm".
- You are now ready to type in the "Manual Installation" commands.
MANUAL UPGRADE (Commands to type into Novaterm)
This will erase any data and settings stored under Ubuntu. Stuff in the media storage (/media/internal or /mnt/sdcard) will be unaffected.
mkfs.ext3 /dev/store/ubuntu-root mkdir /tmp/u mount /dev/store/ubuntu-root /tmp/u cd /tmp/u tar -xzpvf /media/internal/TouchPadBuntuRootfs1304f.tar.gz umount /tmp/u cd /media/internal mount -o remount,rw /boot cp uImage.kexec /boot sync
- Reboot your TouchPad.
- Select "kexec" in the MoBoot menu, and press Center to boot kexec.
- Wait for the white screen.
- Select "Ubuntu 13.04" in the kexecboot screen, and select (press POWER/SLEEP button on top, not CENTER button).
- Wait for Enlightenment to start.
TROUBLESHOOTING / FAQ:
If you don't see Ubuntu in the moboot menu, that is normal - you have to boot Kexec and then boot Ubuntu 13.04 from kexec.
If your TouchPad doesn't have a "kexec" menu option after rebooting, make sure you copied uImage.kexec to the proper location, and retry.
If your kexec uImage doesn't boot or freezes before the white screen, check your free space on the boot partition (/dev/mmcblk0p13). Delete kexec, free up at least 3MB (by deleting extra uImages and/or themes) and recopy it manually.
If you can't select Ubuntu from the kexec menu, make sure you're pressing Power and not Center to select it.
If your kexec freezes instead of booting Ubuntu, make sure you have the latest kexec from this post. The old one doesn't support large initramfs files which are present in 13.04 beta2 (and the final version.)
If you experience problems with Kernel 3.0.8, remember that it is alpha quality!
To reboot your TouchPad if it stops responding, hold down Center and Power until you see "Please release key(s)."
DOWNLOAD LINKS - Google Drive hosted
NEW AND UPDATED KEXEC: (required to boot): https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4WU...it?usp=sharing
13.04 FINAL ROOTFS: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4WU...it?usp=sharing
KERNEL 3.0.8 ALPHA: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4WU...it?usp=sharing
PREVIOUS VERSIONS - UNSUPPORTED