Frequently Asked Questions

Search This thread

KidCarter93

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 26, 2012
Coventry, UK
[SIZE=+3]Frequently Asked Questions[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+2]HTC One (M7)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]This a short list of frequently asked questions in this device forum and the answers often given as a response. It should serve as a starting point for gathering knowledge and finding solutions to many common problems. Please only post in this thread with feedback on how to improve this document. Do not post "Thank you" type responses. If you have additional questions or require more help, try to find an existing thread or create your own. Do not use this as a general help thread.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Q1: What's the difference between "Development" and "Original Development"?[/SIZE]
Here are the rough guidelines as to what should be placed in "Original Development":
*Official release of highly original and upstream custom ROMs (built from the ground up with significant original development within them).
*Official releases/development of such original ROMs, perhaps posted by the maintainer or their nominated person.
*A significant "first" in development for a device. This is something which took considerable time/effort and is generally accepted by developers to be non-trivial.
*Kernels which are built with beneficial changes that are not simply pulled from other kernels already available.
*Tools and utilities with a clear purpose, and which are well-made, and useful to users. They should have an element of originality, either in purpose or through significant improvement in the means of operation.
*Significant port of a ROM from one device to another, giving enhanced features or functionality to the users of the target device.

All other development work goes into "Android Development".​

[SIZE=+1]Q2: How do I root my phone?[/SIZE]
There are a few different ways you can root your phone. Below are a few threads to help you successfully root your One;
  • Superboot - Unfortunately, this method will only work if you're lucky enough to have S-Off. This is simply a boot.img that when booted, will root your device once you boot up.
  • All-In-One Toolkit - If you're looking to root your device the easy way, use this toolkit.
    *NOTE* I'll never recommend using a toolkit to root your device because if you don't know how to root your phone manually, you shouldn't be rooting your phone.
  • Root/Unlock/Recovery/Flashing Custom ROMs - This is the preferred way to root your phone because it actually requires you to read and do the work yourself. Follow the steps exactly as instructed and you'll be rooted and all ready for a custom ROM.

*NOTE* Always be sure to double check everything you read and follow the instructions carefully.

[SIZE=+1]Q3: How can I enter bootloader mode & recovery mode?[/SIZE]
To enter bootloader mode make sure your phone is turned off. Turn it back on while holding the 'volume down' button and you will successfully enter bootloader mode.
*NOTE* Before you enter bootloader mode your bootloader must be unlocked. Unlock your bootloader by following the first part of this thread.

To enter recovery mode, you will need to enter the bootloader (as detailed above) then use the 'volume down' button to navigate to 'RECOVERY'. Press the power button to confirm your choice. You'll now be booted into your custom recovery.​

[SIZE=+1]Q4: What is the best ROM/kernel/modem?[/SIZE]
Honestly, there is no "best". It's all based on personal choice. For example; I may like heavily customizing my ROMs whereas you may like it to look at basic as possible. The best thing you can do is to just test out different ROMs/kernels/modems and see which you prefer.​

[SIZE=+1]Q5: I hear a lot about ADB. What is it?[/SIZE]
Find out everything you need to know by reading the following thread - ADB Workshop and Guide for everyone.​

[SIZE=+1]Q6: Am I required to backup my ROM before flashing anything else?[/SIZE]
No you're not, but it is definitely a good idea, especially when flashing a ROM with an updated base, because if you don't do a backup and then something goes wrong, it means that you'll lose all your apps, data etc. It just saves a lot of hassle.​

[SIZE=+1]Q7: Can I install an OTA with a custom recovery or if I have a custom ROM/kernel?[/SIZE]
No, you can't. Don't try installing an OTA if you're using CWM, TWRP or Philz as it won't work. It will only install via the stock recovery.
You'll also need to make sure that you're on the stock ROM and stock kernel.

For a more detailed explanation of how to receive an OTA, what an OTA updater-script does and what will interfere with OTA's, check out the following post by nkk71 - http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=52894276&postcount=9

[SIZE=+1]Q8: Does this phone have good battery life?[/SIZE]
It's impossible to give you a perfect answer because there are so many different aspects which can affect battery life. We all have different apps installed, use our phones for different amounts of time, have different ROMs and kernels installed etc. so we will all experience different results regarding battery life.
Take a look at the Battery Stats Thread to see the usage & average battery life of other forum members.​

[SIZE=+1]Q9: This phone is amazing and I want to tell others how good it is.[/SIZE]
Woah! Wait a moment. DON'T create a new thread to tell us what you think of the One. Instead, you can post your review in the following thread - Centralization Review of the HTC One

[SIZE=+1]Q10: My camera has a purple tint in low light. How do I fix this?[/SIZE]
This is a known hardware defect. Your best option is to contact your local HTC customer service and get a replacement/repair order.
According to Uzephi's post here, HTC North America are accepting camera warranty claims even if your phone's out of its warranty period. I'm not sure if this is the case globally though so you'll need to check that for yourself when contacting HTC.​

[SIZE=+1]Q11: I'm not sure whether to get the HTC One/what other phones compare to the One?[/SIZE]
The only person who can make you want the device is you. If you're not sure whether to get this phone, go to your local phone shop which has stock and have a test run of it for yourself. This will give you a good feel as to whether you'll like the One or not.
One thing to remember, if you're asking in this M8 forum, is that you're likely to get biased results. After all, the members you're asking already most likely either have the M7 or will be getting it.

If you're not sure what device to get and want to compare between your choices, please feel free to use the following thread - Device Suggestion Thread

[SIZE=+1]Q12: When will the One be S-Off?[/SIZE]
The One is now S-Off. Check out the 2 following threads to find out how to make your device S-Off - S-Off by revone & S-Off by Moonshine.
The following are a couple of guides which will help you S-Off your device if you're having some issues - [GUIDE] REVONE, MOONSHINE & RUMRUNNER Pre-S-OFF Steps.... READ FIRST , [GUIDE] Rumrunner S-Off for HTC One M7 International & [Guide] Firewater S-Off

[SIZE=+1]Q13: I have a custom recovery installed but I can't boot into it.[/SIZE]
Use the command - fastboot erase cache.
You should now be able to boot into recovery.​

[SIZE=+1]Q14: I'm getting bad audio quality via Bluetooth connections. How can I fix it?[/SIZE]
You can sort this out by turning off your WiFi, connecting to the Bluetooth device again and then - if needed - turn WiFi back on again.​

[SIZE=+1]Q15: I don't like Blinkfeed. Can I get rid of it?[/SIZE]
Yes you can.
Thanks to Onepagebook, we can now remove BlinkFeed by replacing the default prism.apk with a modified version which can be found in his thread here. For installation instructions and all relevant information, check his thread out and then sit back and enjoy not seeing BlinkFeed anymore :)

As you'll be delving into the /system folder you'll need root access for the above method.
For those of you who aren't rooted, check out the following workarounds -
The only way to get rid of it, at the moment, is to install a custom launcher such as Apex or Nova.

One thing you can do, however, is to change Blinkfeed to a different screen so that it's out of the way and you won't have to see it as soon as you hit the Home button.
To do this;
*On the Blinkfeed screen, click the 3 dot menu button and click Customizer home screen.
*Long press on one of the other screens and drag it to where it says Set As Home.
It's as simple as that!

*NEW* If you're using one of the newer updates (Sense 5.5+), you can now natively disable BlinkFeed.
To do so, swipe right from BlinkFeed so that you reach the "traditional" Android homescreen. Long press on the screen and you'll see all the screens at the top. Just above those screens is the option "BlinkFeed On". Clicking that will disable BlinkFeed from your device. To enable it, follow the same instructions.​

[SIZE=+1]Q16: I have a T-Mobile/AT&T HTC One. Can I flash the ROMs in this forum?[/SIZE]
Yes you can. Any ROM from T-Mobile, AT&T and International One forums can be flashed across either of those variants.
As the Sprint variant is a CDMA device, ROMs from these other forums may not work. Please read the following thread to see if certain ROMs will be compatible or not - Tons of compatible ROMs over in International HTC One Forum. Please see the HTC One Sprint FAQ and [Guide]Sprint users that flash GSM roms on their CDMA devices for more information regarding the Sprint variant.​

[SIZE=+1]Q17: AROMA installer has crashed/I can't reboot after AROMA crashed. How can I fix it?[/SIZE]
This is not a problem with the ROM you're trying to flash. It's an AROMA problem but luckily there are ways around it so you can get back to happy flashing :)

Reboot, reflash and instead of using the touchscreen use the volume buttons to navigate and the power button to select an option.

If you're not able to reboot your phone, these solutions should help you do so.

1) Make sure you've held the power button/power button + volume down for around 15-20 seconds and it should replicate a battery pull and reboot your phone.

2) Connect your phone to a PC. Then type the following command into the command windows where ADB is installed - adb reboot recovery

3) Use hasoon2000's All-In-One Toolkit to force flash your recovery (either CWM or TWRP) and it removes the crash.

4) If none of these have worked then, unfortunately, you'll simply need to wait until your battery has ran out and reflash again.

5) Another method which has worked for some people (I've personally not tested it as I've not been in that situation), is holding their phone under a bright light and then holding the power button. It should work but if it doesn't, refer to 4).​

[SIZE=+1]Q18: How can I change the shortcuts on my lockscreen?[/SIZE]
It's actually really simple. All you have to do is drag an app icon from your app drawer to your dock (either side of the app drawer icon) and then lock your screen to see that it has also been changed there aswell.​

*​

This FAQ is part of a Recognized Contributor Group Initiative. Please look for a similar FAQ thread when visiting another device forum.

Last edited:

wildstang83

Inactive Recognized Developer / Recognized Themer
Oct 14, 2010
Nowheresville
xdaforums.com
Hi everyone, this will be the official FAQ for the HTC One (M7), thanks to KidCarter93 for putting it together for us.

Alright, there are a couple rules for this FAQ.
  • As tempting as it may be, please DO NOT post "Thank you" posts are other posts of the like.
  • DO NOT post in this FAQ unless it will add to or improve the FAQ over all.
  • DO NOT post questions directly in this thread. A FAQ is not the proper place for that.
  • All questions should still be posted in the Q&A section, after you have searched for an answer yourself first.

Thats it! Enjoy the FAQ :)

Last edited:

toxic_garden

there is one question that is asked pretty frequently. It deals with (apparently) poor quality of bluetooth audio connections. In 99% of the cases, the problem can be solved by turning off WiFI, connecting to the Bluetooth-Device and - if needed - turning on WiFi again. Problem should be solved when a new official ROM > 1.28.401.7 is relased.

Reactions: KidCarter93

KidCarter93

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 26, 2012
Coventry, UK
I've updated the FAQ with Q1 and therefore moved all other questions down the list. Although the question isn't device specific, it still gets asked enough in this forum to warrant me adding it to the FAQ :)

ZaLiTHkA

Jan 14, 2008
HTC One (m7)
Xiaomi Mi Mix 2
I see no entry that explains how to change the shortcuts on the Sense 5.0 lockscreen, not being familiar with Sense myself, I searched online for a while before I worked it out...

It might be useful to have it listed here for people like me who haven't owned an HTC for a while (the original Desire was my last HTC and I ditched Sense within 2 days of getting it). For the record, it's literally as simple as editing the toolbar shortcuts each side of the app drawer icon on the default launcher. :)

Reactions: KidCarter93

KidCarter93

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 26, 2012
Coventry, UK
I've just updated Q13 to include to way to natively remove BlinkFeed in Sense 5.5 :)

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

KidCarter93

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 26, 2012
Coventry, UK
Okay everyone, this thread is now opened again so that you can post any possible additions/improvements to this FAQ.

If you don't have an addition/improvement for this FAQ, then DON'T POST IN HERE! If you do, your post will be deleted on sight.

If you have a question, either ask in the Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting forum by creating your own thread OR ask in the Help Thread which is also stickied in this section. Only ask your question after you've already searched for the answer yourself though.
If any questions or irrelevant posts get made in this thread, just ignore them. I will clean them up when I see them. Replying to such posts won't help the situation in the slightest.

This IS NOT a help thread. This is simply an FAQ so NO questions should be being asked or answered in here.

Cheers,
- KidCarter93

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

KidCarter93

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 26, 2012
Coventry, UK
I've just updated Q10 to include a couple of S-Off guides & Q15 to include the method of holing your phone under a bright light.

Apologies for the slow updates as these should've been added a long time ago.
I'll keep on track with the FAQ this time around :)

Reactions: geek-baba

the-equinoxe

Retired Moderator
Jul 26, 2006
[TIP]

How to use adb and fastboot (natively) on Mac OS X:

-download the most recent adt bundle for mac. (from http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html )
-extract the archive, and find the files adb and fastboot (they should be in the "platform-tools" folder)

From here you can use it from the command prompt eg. "./adb devices"

BUT..

If you want to have the fastboot and the adb command ready from each and every folder (native), do the following:

-in finder press [shift-command-G]
-fill in: /usr/bin/
-copy and paste or move both adb and fastboot into /usr/bin/. (mac password required)
-open terminal in that folder, "chmod 755 adb" (do this also for fastboot)

Now you can open any folder and open a terminal in that folder and have your commands ready (without using ./), you can use it just like ls, cd, etc..

Bonus Tip (source http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20110729034827358):
"You can enable a Service in the Keyboard Shortcuts System Preferences to let you open a terminal window directly to a selected folder.

Go to System Preferences » Keyboard » Keyboard Shortcuts » Services » Files and Folders » New Terminal at Folder. Or New Terminal Tab at Folder, if you want. You can create a keyboard shortcut here, too, if you're in to that kind of thing.

Right-click on any folder and the item appears in the bottom section of the contextual menu (or use your new keyboard shortcut).
"
This is extra handy when you downloaded a zip, Rom or whatever you want to sideload onto your device, just open the terminal in that folder and "adb push localfile.zip"(just ake sure you've enabled adb on your device.. :p ).

Reactions: geek-baba

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [SIZE=+3]Frequently Asked Questions[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+2]HTC One (M7)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]This a short list of frequently asked questions in this device forum and the answers often given as a response. It should serve as a starting point for gathering knowledge and finding solutions to many common problems. Please only post in this thread with feedback on how to improve this document. Do not post "Thank you" type responses. If you have additional questions or require more help, try to find an existing thread or create your own. Do not use this as a general help thread.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Q1: What's the difference between "Development" and "Original Development"?[/SIZE]
    Here are the rough guidelines as to what should be placed in "Original Development":
    *Official release of highly original and upstream custom ROMs (built from the ground up with significant original development within them).
    *Official releases/development of such original ROMs, perhaps posted by the maintainer or their nominated person.
    *A significant "first" in development for a device. This is something which took considerable time/effort and is generally accepted by developers to be non-trivial.
    *Kernels which are built with beneficial changes that are not simply pulled from other kernels already available.
    *Tools and utilities with a clear purpose, and which are well-made, and useful to users. They should have an element of originality, either in purpose or through significant improvement in the means of operation.
    *Significant port of a ROM from one device to another, giving enhanced features or functionality to the users of the target device.

All other development work goes into "Android Development".​

[SIZE=+1]Q2: How do I root my phone?[/SIZE]
    There are a few different ways you can root your phone. Below are a few threads to help you successfully root your One;
    • Superboot - Unfortunately, this method will only work if you're lucky enough to have S-Off. This is simply a boot.img that when booted, will root your device once you boot up.
    • All-In-One Toolkit - If you're looking to root your device the easy way, use this toolkit.
      *NOTE* I'll never recommend using a toolkit to root your device because if you don't know how to root your phone manually, you shouldn't be rooting your phone.
    • Root/Unlock/Recovery/Flashing Custom ROMs - This is the preferred way to root your phone because it actually requires you to read and do the work yourself. Follow the steps exactly as instructed and you'll be rooted and all ready for a custom ROM.

*NOTE* Always be sure to double check everything you read and follow the instructions carefully.

[SIZE=+1]Q3: How can I enter bootloader mode & recovery mode?[/SIZE]
    To enter bootloader mode make sure your phone is turned off. Turn it back on while holding the 'volume down' button and you will successfully enter bootloader mode.
    *NOTE* Before you enter bootloader mode your bootloader must be unlocked. Unlock your bootloader by following the first part of this thread.

To enter recovery mode, you will need to enter the bootloader (as detailed above) then use the 'volume down' button to navigate to 'RECOVERY'. Press the power button to confirm your choice. You'll now be booted into your custom recovery.​

[SIZE=+1]Q4: What is the best ROM/kernel/modem?[/SIZE]
    Honestly, there is no "best". It's all based on personal choice. For example; I may like heavily customizing my ROMs whereas you may like it to look at basic as possible. The best thing you can do is to just test out different ROMs/kernels/modems and see which you prefer.​

[SIZE=+1]Q5: I hear a lot about ADB. What is it?[/SIZE]
    Find out everything you need to know by reading the following thread - ADB Workshop and Guide for everyone.​

[SIZE=+1]Q6: Am I required to backup my ROM before flashing anything else?[/SIZE]
    No you're not, but it is definitely a good idea, especially when flashing a ROM with an updated base, because if you don't do a backup and then something goes wrong, it means that you'll lose all your apps, data etc. It just saves a lot of hassle.​

[SIZE=+1]Q7: Can I install an OTA with a custom recovery or if I have a custom ROM/kernel?[/SIZE]
    No, you can't. Don't try installing an OTA if you're using CWM, TWRP or Philz as it won't work. It will only install via the stock recovery.
    You'll also need to make sure that you're on the stock ROM and stock kernel.

For a more detailed explanation of how to receive an OTA, what an OTA updater-script does and what will interfere with OTA's, check out the following post by nkk71 - http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=52894276&postcount=9

[SIZE=+1]Q8: Does this phone have good battery life?[/SIZE]
    It's impossible to give you a perfect answer because there are so many different aspects which can affect battery life. We all have different apps installed, use our phones for different amounts of time, have different ROMs and kernels installed etc. so we will all experience different results regarding battery life.
    Take a look at the Battery Stats Thread to see the usage & average battery life of other forum members.​

[SIZE=+1]Q9: This phone is amazing and I want to tell others how good it is.[/SIZE]
    Woah! Wait a moment. DON'T create a new thread to tell us what you think of the One. Instead, you can post your review in the following thread - Centralization Review of the HTC One

[SIZE=+1]Q10: My camera has a purple tint in low light. How do I fix this?[/SIZE]
    This is a known hardware defect. Your best option is to contact your local HTC customer service and get a replacement/repair order.
    According to Uzephi's post here, HTC North America are accepting camera warranty claims even if your phone's out of its warranty period. I'm not sure if this is the case globally though so you'll need to check that for yourself when contacting HTC.​

[SIZE=+1]Q11: I'm not sure whether to get the HTC One/what other phones compare to the One?[/SIZE]
    The only person who can make you want the device is you. If you're not sure whether to get this phone, go to your local phone shop which has stock and have a test run of it for yourself. This will give you a good feel as to whether you'll like the One or not.
    One thing to remember, if you're asking in this M8 forum, is that you're likely to get biased results. After all, the members you're asking already most likely either have the M7 or will be getting it.

If you're not sure what device to get and want to compare between your choices, please feel free to use the following thread - Device Suggestion Thread

[SIZE=+1]Q12: When will the One be S-Off?[/SIZE]
    The One is now S-Off. Check out the 2 following threads to find out how to make your device S-Off - S-Off by revone & S-Off by Moonshine.
    The following are a couple of guides which will help you S-Off your device if you're having some issues - [GUIDE] REVONE, MOONSHINE & RUMRUNNER Pre-S-OFF Steps.... READ FIRST , [GUIDE] Rumrunner S-Off for HTC One M7 International & [Guide] Firewater S-Off

[SIZE=+1]Q13: I have a custom recovery installed but I can't boot into it.[/SIZE]
    Use the command - fastboot erase cache.
    You should now be able to boot into recovery.​

[SIZE=+1]Q14: I'm getting bad audio quality via Bluetooth connections. How can I fix it?[/SIZE]
    You can sort this out by turning off your WiFi, connecting to the Bluetooth device again and then - if needed - turn WiFi back on again.​

[SIZE=+1]Q15: I don't like Blinkfeed. Can I get rid of it?[/SIZE]
    Yes you can.
    Thanks to Onepagebook, we can now remove BlinkFeed by replacing the default prism.apk with a modified version which can be found in his thread here. For installation instructions and all relevant information, check his thread out and then sit back and enjoy not seeing BlinkFeed anymore :)

As you'll be delving into the /system folder you'll need root access for the above method.
    For those of you who aren't rooted, check out the following workarounds -
    The only way to get rid of it, at the moment, is to install a custom launcher such as Apex or Nova.

One thing you can do, however, is to change Blinkfeed to a different screen so that it's out of the way and you won't have to see it as soon as you hit the Home button.
    To do this;
    *On the Blinkfeed screen, click the 3 dot menu button and click Customizer home screen.
    *Long press on one of the other screens and drag it to where it says Set As Home.
    It's as simple as that!

*NEW* If you're using one of the newer updates (Sense 5.5+), you can now natively disable BlinkFeed.
    To do so, swipe right from BlinkFeed so that you reach the "traditional" Android homescreen. Long press on the screen and you'll see all the screens at the top. Just above those screens is the option "BlinkFeed On". Clicking that will disable BlinkFeed from your device. To enable it, follow the same instructions.​

[SIZE=+1]Q16: I have a T-Mobile/AT&T HTC One. Can I flash the ROMs in this forum?[/SIZE]
    Yes you can. Any ROM from T-Mobile, AT&T and International One forums can be flashed across either of those variants.
    As the Sprint variant is a CDMA device, ROMs from these other forums may not work. Please read the following thread to see if certain ROMs will be compatible or not - Tons of compatible ROMs over in International HTC One Forum. Please see the HTC One Sprint FAQ and [Guide]Sprint users that flash GSM roms on their CDMA devices for more information regarding the Sprint variant.​

[SIZE=+1]Q17: AROMA installer has crashed/I can't reboot after AROMA crashed. How can I fix it?[/SIZE]
    This is not a problem with the ROM you're trying to flash. It's an AROMA problem but luckily there are ways around it so you can get back to happy flashing :)

Reboot, reflash and instead of using the touchscreen use the volume buttons to navigate and the power button to select an option.

If you're not able to reboot your phone, these solutions should help you do so.

1) Make sure you've held the power button/power button + volume down for around 15-20 seconds and it should replicate a battery pull and reboot your phone.

2) Connect your phone to a PC. Then type the following command into the command windows where ADB is installed - adb reboot recovery

3) Use hasoon2000's All-In-One Toolkit to force flash your recovery (either CWM or TWRP) and it removes the crash.

4) If none of these have worked then, unfortunately, you'll simply need to wait until your battery has ran out and reflash again.

5) Another method which has worked for some people (I've personally not tested it as I've not been in that situation), is holding their phone under a bright light and then holding the power button. It should work but if it doesn't, refer to 4).​

[SIZE=+1]Q18: How can I change the shortcuts on my lockscreen?[/SIZE]
    It's actually really simple. All you have to do is drag an app icon from your app drawer to your dock (either side of the app drawer icon) and then lock your screen to see that it has also been changed there aswell.​

*​

This FAQ is part of a Recognized Contributor Group Initiative. Please look for a similar FAQ thread when visiting another device forum.
    Hi @KidCarter93,

I've been posting these so often, I thought I'd put them here instead of making a new thread (hopefully soon ;)). If these posts are out of place, please feel free to delete/edit them, and sorry for the inconvenience.

A) Having Problems? Rule #1: check MD5 on all your downloads; one single corrupt download can keep you trying for hours on end for nothing!
    https://www.google.com/#q=MD5 ; Basically (in our context), MD5 checksums are to verify that the file you downloaded isn't corrupt

on Mac, Linux, and Android terminals it's already built in:
    Mac: in terminal, just type md5 <name of file>
    ----> MD5 (<name of file>) = 12345678901234567890123456789012

Linux: in terminal, just type md5sum <name of file>
    ----> 12345678901234567890123456789012 <name of file>

Android: in "adb shell", just type md5sum <name of file>
    ----> 12345678901234567890123456789012 <name of file>

Windows (seems not built-in!?!?): you can use programs such as http://winmd5.com/ , http://implbits.com/hashtab.aspx , http://www.pc-tools.net/win32/md5sums/ or any other one of your choosing.

B) Force reboot
    Press and hold POWER + VOLDOWN (under a bright light, not kidding!!), after about 5 seconds or so buttons should start blinking, and after 30 seconds or so, the phone will reboot, let go of POWER, but keep holding VOLDOWN to get back to bootloader.
    (you may need to try 2 or 3 times to get it right)​

C) Problems installing a ROM (in particular 4.4+ versions, and getting permission/set_metadata errors)
    for M7_U/UL models, get TWRP from:
    2.6.3.3: http://techerrata.com/browse/twrp2/m7
    or 2.6.3.4: http://techerrata.com/browse/twrp2/m7ul
    (make sure MD5 is correct, that site does not play nice with download managers)
    Note: at the time of this writing these are the most reliable versions, even the 2.7.x.x series seem to still have problems

in bootloader/FASTBOOT USB:
    fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.3-m7.img
    fastboot erase cache
    fastboot reboot-bootloader

Code:
    C:\ADB3>[B][COLOR="Blue"]adb version[/COLOR][/B]
    Android Debug Bridge version 1.0.31

C:\ADB3>[B][COLOR="Blue"]fastboot devices[/COLOR][/B]
    HT34xxxxxxxx    fastboot [I][SIZE="1"]<- you are in bootloader[/SIZE][/I]

C:\ADB3>[B][COLOR="Blue"]fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.3-m7.img[/COLOR][/B]
    target reported max download size of 1514139648 bytes
    sending 'recovery' (9184 KB)...
    OKAY [  1.209s]
    writing 'recovery'...
    OKAY [  1.144s]
    finished. total time: 2.354s

C:\ADB3>[B][COLOR="Blue"]fastboot erase cache[/COLOR][/B]
    ******** Did you mean to fastboot format this partition?
    erasing 'cache'...
    OKAY [  0.120s]
    finished. total time: 0.120s

C:\ADB3>[B][COLOR="Blue"]fastboot reboot-bootloader[/COLOR][/B]
    rebooting into bootloader...
    OKAY [  0.160s]
    finished. total time: 0.160s
    -> enter RECOVERY and install the ROM​

D) Recovery showing 'unable to mount /data' or 'internal storage'
    Then you should format all the partitions in TWRP:

1- Go to the Wipe Menu select Format Data -> that will format /data (including internal storage)
    2- In the Wipe Menu select Advanced Wipe, then select System and Cache -> that will format /system and /cache

reboot back to recovery

Warning: This will effectively format everything on your phone! and you will no longer have a ROM on your phone, and will have to proceed to step E below.

E) If the ROM is no longer on your phone
    then you can use one of three methods:
    1- OTG cable
    2- adb push <name of rom>.zip /sdcard/
    3- initiate sideload in custom recovery, then adb sideload <name of rom>.zip

adb push example:
    Code:
    C:\ADB3>[B][COLOR="Blue"]adb version[/COLOR][/B]
    Android Debug Bridge version 1.0.31

C:\ADB3>[B][COLOR="Blue"]adb devices[/COLOR][/B]
    List of devices attached
    HT34xxxxxxxx    recovery [I][SIZE="1"]<- you are now in recovery[/SIZE][/I]

C:\ADB3>[B][COLOR="Blue"]adb push MyCustomROM.zip /sdcard/[/COLOR][/B]
    2990 KB/s (1172224138 bytes in 382.835s) [B][I]<- yes, it took over 5 mins,
                                                without showing any progress[/I][/B]

[I][U][SIZE="1"]Just to double-check the file is not corrupt[/SIZE][/U][/I]
    C:\ADB3>[B][COLOR="Blue"]adb shell md5sum /sdcard/MyCustomROM.zip[/COLOR][/B]
    2eff0d37fec5789b946c43f7da2c13bf  /sdcard/MyCustomROM.zip
    [INDENT]from the OP/place you downloaded the ROM:
    MyCustomROM -- MD5 sum: 2EFF0D37FEC5789B946C43F7DA2C13BF --
    ==> so all is good :)
    ==> obviously you check that against the MD5 of your ROM[/INDENT]

C:\ADB3>
    -> in recovery, select "install" and install the ROM

F) My Phone isn't recognized in bootloader (fastboot devices) or custom recovery (adb devices)
    Check the FAQs (in particular FAQ #2) here:
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=52135024&postcount=2

G) How long should I wait for the 1st bootup
    The first boot can take anywhere from a few minutes to 15 minutes.

My personal experience (m7_ul)... after a clean flash (ie wiping userpartition during the installer, and before rebooting wiping dalvik & cache [a bit redundant, but i do it anyways]):
    during the first bootup, the screen brightness changes after 3~5 minutes, then i know the phone isn't frozen, and wait another 5~20 minutes.... more than 20 minutes (as in... "i left it overnight") is unreasonable.​
    Hi everyone, this will be the official FAQ for the HTC One (M7), thanks to KidCarter93 for putting it together for us.

Alright, there are a couple rules for this FAQ.
    • As tempting as it may be, please DO NOT post "Thank you" posts are other posts of the like.
    • DO NOT post in this FAQ unless it will add to or improve the FAQ over all.
    • DO NOT post questions directly in this thread. A FAQ is not the proper place for that.
    • All questions should still be posted in the Q&A section, after you have searched for an answer yourself first.

Thats it! Enjoy the FAQ :)
    'If recovery does't boot,
    Code:
    fastboot erase cache
    ' : too many people ask this pretty much everyday
    The fact that you can turn your phone off by holding it under a bright light needs to be stickied. I am surprised more people havent started threads on this yet. XDA link