Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,360 Members 53,879 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Authentication Error Occurred connecting to WIFI

Tip us?

spinn360
Old
(Last edited by spinn360; 10th April 2013 at 06:20 AM.) Reason: style
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Thumbs up Authentication Error Occurred connecting to WIFI

This is a warning for Samsung devices! If you continue to get this error while trying to connect to your Wifi router, and it appears to not even attempt to actually connect to the router each time there is a simple solution. The error that will show is "Authentication Error Occurred" You can get closer to your router but it will not fix the problem, unless you actually have a different problem. This week I have had this occur on my Galaxy S Vibrant (Rooted with SlimBean ROM) and my Galaxy Note 10.1 (Stock latest version).

Solution to the problem (problem may be with installation of non-default launchers(For me it was Kid Mode a game for my kid))

Step 1 -- Intentionally put in the wrong password to access the router..

..it will of course fail...

Step 2 -- Put in the correct password.

It will reconnect like new.

This is what worked for me, and if you have the same problem (really no matter the Samsung device) it should work for you.

For whatever reason putting in the wrong password makes the device actually attempt to connect again. I had tried everything from placing the device on the router, resetting the router, restarting the devices, removing apps, factory resetting one device( which worked after two resets on the non-stock Vibrant), forgetting the network, turning off sleep mode in advanced wifi settings, adjusting all sorts of other settings.

Thought I would share my solution and I hope it helps more than just the Note 10.1 community if this occurs to others, which my google search results showed me it does and on many Samsung devices...which makes me sad, because I love my Samsungs.
The Following User Says Thank You to spinn360 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

creative0100
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Funny you should mention this.

I had the exact same error this morning on my 8020! I just reset the router and all good.

Sent from my GT-N8020 using xda app-developers app

spinn360
Old
(Last edited by spinn360; 10th April 2013 at 11:28 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by creative0100 View Post
Funny you should mention this.

I had the exact same error this morning on my 8020! I just reset the router and all good.

That is what my sister does on her S3 (resets router), but for some reason this works if you cannot reset the router... (its in use by others). Next time you have this problem (if you do again), let me know if this works for you?

Also I was thinking an app that I installed caused this problem, do you think you have anything on your 8020 that would cause this? (such as a childs game that blocks certain actions from occuring, or a firewall app)

ultramag69
Old
Thanks Meter 574
You could also "Forget" the network then rescan... I've done this before too...
If You Disagree Or Think I'm Wrong, Look Closer At My Avatar...

creative0100
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn360 View Post
That is what my sister does on her S3 (resets router), but for some reason this works if you cannot reset the router... (its in use by others). Next time you have this problem (if you do again), let me know if this works for you?

Also I was thinking an app that I installed caused this problem, do you think you have anything on your 8020 that would cause this? (such as a childs game that blocks certain actions from occuring, or a firewall app)
No idea. I havent installed anything different or done anything out of the ordinary. It hasnt happened since but it happened first thing when woke up.

stevae
Old
Thanks Meter 26
are these the best solutions found? because i am having this problem, and none of these solutions have helped. and i know it isn't some program causing it, because I have wiped my i900 clean four or five times, and get it upon setup, before anything is even loaded on it yet, except the rom. so if anyone has anything else, please chime in.

taihard
Old
Thanks Meter 53
I have this problem too and it's the craziest solution, but all I have to do is open up my laptop and open up a Web browser then magically my note 10.1 or my gs3 connects right back up.. So I don't know if it's some kind of interference or what? Rebooting my router also works. I haven't tried entering wrong password though but I will for sure try it next time since it means I won't have to pull out another device.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

estylo
Old
Thanks Meter 2
This issue is driving me insane! It did happen before and I've tried the password solution...it didn't work.
This happens every so often and it is quite annoying.

Has anyone found any fixes for this yet aside from the reset router or password solution?

dragnfire
Old
(Last edited by dragnfire; 26th July 2013 at 01:09 AM.) Reason: adjustment
Thanks Meter 2

DONATE TO ME
was having same issue on my note2, both stock and roms, here is what I did and finally fixed it. Had to adjust the wireless settings on my router (dlink 645):
  • 802.11 set mixed 802.11n and 802.11g
  • do not check "enable auto channel scan"
  • wireless channel: I set to 2.462 ch11
  • channel width: 20/40Mhz auto
  • security: wpa-personal
  • wpa mode: wpa2 only
  • cipher: tkip

hopefully this helps.

DF
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dragnfire For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

estylo
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnfire View Post
was having same issue on my note2, both stock and roms, here is what I did and finally fixed it. Had to adjust the wireless settings on my router (dlink 645):
  • 802.11 set mixed 802.11n and 802.11g
  • do not check "enable auto channel scan"
  • wireless channel: I set to 2.462 ch11
  • channel width: 20/40Mhz auto
  • security: wpa-personal
  • wpa mode: wpa2 only
  • cipher: tkip

hopefully this helps.

DF
Brother, Cheers to you
Solved my issue big time

Tags