Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,417 Members 39,253 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[IDE] Using IntelliJ IDEA for Android development

Tip us?

ramdroid77
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 118
Sign [IDE] Using IntelliJ IDEA for Android development

When starting with Android development most people start so by using Eclipse, so did I. Unfortunately for me this was a quite frustrating experience no matter if I developed on Windows or Linux. I often had troubles launching projects after some changes and was forced to rebuild the whole workspace (which takes a while esp. if you included a couple library projects). So after a while I decided to switch to IDEA which is a lot more satisfying. I never had any issues with broken projects and everything just builds so much faster.

One big difference (and it seems many people have troubles with it) is IDEA's handling of library projects. Unfortunately I think this is done in a very logical way, as each "project" is handled as a model. Means you create a project ("My app"), add a module for your main app project, and add new modules for each library project you would add. For each modules you can set the dependencies and say on which modules it depends.

In the newest version (12) Jetbrains also added an Android UI designer, which was one of the features not available before.

If you are curious you can download and install IDEA from their website, or when you are using Ubuntu you can simply download it from Software center.

http://www.jetbrains.com/idea/

And here's a nice article given a quick introduction:

http://www.itwriting.com/blog/7083-i...g-android.html
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to ramdroid77 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Awesoham
Old
Thanks Meter 22
IDEA rocks, +1. It makes my little Arch box work like a real PC at times

Though my soul may set in darkness,
it will rise in perfect light:
I have loved the stars too fondly
to be fearful of the night.
Galileo Galilei

alanljw
Old
Thanks Meter 3
i use idea too,just feel good

Sent from my Nexus 4

subtask
Old
Thanks Meter 0
What about the on-the-fly analysis performed by IDEA during development? Does it detect many bugs?
Have you never used this functionality?

subtask
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Nobody uses this feature of IDEA?

Archer
Old
Senior Moderator / Recognized Developer - (Un)Recognized Pole Dancer
Thanks Meter 3941
I've only had a brief play with it so far - updated the Android SDK and loaded 1 project from GitHub, but it compiles like lightning compared to Eclipse. Thanks for letting us know about this - it's much appreciated
"I live by my own rules, nobody else's, not even my own."
My xda links

New User Guide | XDA Forum Rules | 10 Posts - Why and How? | Admins & Mods | My xda Bookmarks

NuShrike
Old
Senior Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 10
So how does it handle multi-module projects? The advantage of Eclipse/Qt Creator is you can keep multiple projects open at once plus the plugin integration with Maven and Git.

I briefly tried out IntelliJ a couple months back and immediately stepped away when it failed multi-module requirement for me.

More speed than molasses Eclipse would be nice, though the Windows version runs tolerably on fast i5 and SSD.

If it supports .webp on the UI designer (unlike Eclipse), then I'll be all over it!
active: HTC G2 -- B&N NookColor -- Nexus 7(2012) -- SG4 (M919 & GPE)
Support what I do and donate me a frankfurter.

CrazyCoder
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 49
IntelliJ IDEA has no workspace concept like Eclipse, but its project can have multiple modules: http://www.jetbrains.com/idea/docume...ation_faq.html .
The Following User Says Thank You to CrazyCoder For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Nucleotide
Old
Thanks Meter 698

DONATE TO ME
I'm a total noob/beginner when it comes to programming - never really been into it. That said, I've recently been giving it a go using Eclipse - creating my own Android app. I've just installed IDEA and find it far better to use then Eclipse. Really loving it actually.

This is the search box. It is located in the top right of each thread. Learn to use it!

Phone: Nexus 5
ROM: Purity
Kernel: Code_Blue Kernel

Find me on:
- Google+
- Twitter

Dovidhalevi
Old
Thanks Meter 955
I never got into Eclipse. The only Eclipse project I tried using was IBM's Lotus version of OpenOffice. The thing was huge, bloated with Eclipse libraries.

Netbeans is my preferred IDE (also good for C++ and others) but it, unfortunately, falls short for Android.

Intellij worked first try. Glad to see a forum for this on XDA!