Ask a question

No registration required

[IDE] Using IntelliJ IDEA for Android development

OP ramdroid77

12th April 2013, 08:54 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 123

827 posts
When starting with Android development most people start so by using Eclipse, so did I. Unfortunately for me this was a quite frustrating experience no matter if I developed on Windows or Linux. I often had troubles launching projects after some changes and was forced to rebuild the whole workspace (which takes a while esp. if you included a couple library projects). So after a while I decided to switch to IDEA which is a lot more satisfying. I never had any issues with broken projects and everything just builds so much faster.

One big difference (and it seems many people have troubles with it) is IDEA's handling of library projects. Unfortunately I think this is done in a very logical way, as each "project" is handled as a model. Means you create a project ("My app"), add a module for your main app project, and add new modules for each library project you would add. For each modules you can set the dependencies and say on which modules it depends.

In the newest version (12) Jetbrains also added an Android UI designer, which was one of the features not available before.

If you are curious you can download and install IDEA from their website, or when you are using Ubuntu you can simply download it from Software center.

http://www.jetbrains.com/idea/

And here's a nice article given a quick introduction:

http://www.itwriting.com/blog/7083-i...g-android.html
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to ramdroid77 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th April 2013, 06:55 AM   |  #2  
Kolkata
Thanks Meter: 22

168 posts
IDEA rocks, +1. It makes my little Arch box work like a real PC at times
30th April 2013, 11:13 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 3

23 posts
i use idea too,just feel good

Sent from my Nexus 4
30th April 2013, 02:58 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 0

14 posts
What about the on-the-fly analysis performed by IDEA during development? Does it detect many bugs?
Have you never used this functionality?
30th April 2013, 10:05 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 0

14 posts
Nobody uses this feature of IDEA?
2nd May 2013, 10:34 PM   |  #6  
Senior Moderator / Recognized Developer - (Un)Recognized Pole Dancer
Flag Northampton
Thanks Meter: 4,116

13,911 posts
More
I've only had a brief play with it so far - updated the Android SDK and loaded 1 project from GitHub, but it compiles like lightning compared to Eclipse. Thanks for letting us know about this - it's much appreciated
7th May 2013, 02:00 AM   |  #7  
Senior Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 10

1,035 posts
More
So how does it handle multi-module projects? The advantage of Eclipse/Qt Creator is you can keep multiple projects open at once plus the plugin integration with Maven and Git.

I briefly tried out IntelliJ a couple months back and immediately stepped away when it failed multi-module requirement for me.

More speed than molasses Eclipse would be nice, though the Windows version runs tolerably on fast i5 and SSD.

If it supports .webp on the UI designer (unlike Eclipse), then I'll be all over it!
7th May 2013, 03:59 AM   |  #8  
Recognized Developer
Flag St. Petersburg
Thanks Meter: 49

75 posts
More
IntelliJ IDEA has no workspace concept like Eclipse, but its project can have multiple modules: http://www.jetbrains.com/idea/docume...ation_faq.html .
The Following User Says Thank You to CrazyCoder For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th May 2013, 05:26 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 869

1,712 posts
Donate to Me
More
I'm a total noob/beginner when it comes to programming - never really been into it. That said, I've recently been giving it a go using Eclipse - creating my own Android app. I've just installed IDEA and find it far better to use then Eclipse. Really loving it actually.
7th May 2013, 08:55 AM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 1,010

2,108 posts
I never got into Eclipse. The only Eclipse project I tried using was IBM's Lotus version of OpenOffice. The thing was huge, bloated with Eclipse libraries.

Netbeans is my preferred IDE (also good for C++ and others) but it, unfortunately, falls short for Android.

Intellij worked first try. Glad to see a forum for this on XDA!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread