[Root][JB 4.2] Root your Nexus 7 without unlocking bootloader. (djrbliss motochopper)

OP nhshah7

14th April 2013, 12:21 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Boston
Thanks Meter: 364

1,656 posts
More
Hi all,
I just rooted a nexus 7 using the motochopper toolkit made by djrbliss. He gets full credit for the method, I just modified it to work for the N7 by updating the adb files within it (tested on Win7 64-bit, N7 wifi). Oh, and if something breaks, it's not my fault

(original thread: http://www.droidrzr.com/index.php/to...81#entry244281)

Here's what you'll need:

Nexus 7 Drivers installed (try the universal naked drivers if you have issues with this. Search google if ADB/motochopper cannot see your device)
(Android SDK is recommended if you need to troubleshoot the nexus connecting, but not necessary.)
Developer options enabled, USB debugging enabled.
The attached zip.

Steps:
  1. Download and unzip the folder within the attached file.
  2. Make sure USB debugging is enabled. When you plug the tablet into the computer, the status bar of the tablet should say "USB debugging connected". If it doesn't, see below.
  3. WITH YOUR SCREEN TURNED ON, run the appropriate script from the motochopper folder. (Run.bat for windows, I think run.sh for Mac and Linux).
  4. You may be prompted by the tablet to approve a connection by the computer (RSA key, etc.). Accept this!
  5. If all is fine and dandy here, it will see your device and start to push files to it. When it tries to push the SuperSU.apk, your tablet will ask you to Approve something for tracking apk's/apps installed over ADB. Click yes or accept.
  6. The script (on your computer) should prompt you to reboot. Hit any key and you should be rooted when it starts up!
Note: if your computer isn't able to see the device, try setting the device to PTP from MTP. This seems to work for some.

Need to enable USB Debugging?
  1. Make sure you are in the main account.
  2. Go to settings, about, and scroll to the bottom.
  3. Tap on the "build number" entry 7 times.
  4. Exit out of the 'about' and go to Developer options.
  5. Check "USB debugging".

Since I do NOT have a nexus 7 of my own, I can't fully support this but I'll do my best. I thought it would be great to share this with the nexus community for anyone (like me) that doesn't want to unlock their device in order to root. Like I mentioned before, all credit goes to djrbliss.

Enjoy!

Edit: some people are asking why this is useful. If you want root, unlocking the bootloader to gain root erases your device. This method does not.

Edit 2: users report that it does not work on nexus 10 but does work on nexus 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GedBlake

Indeed it would be amazing... and very useful... but as I've indicated in a previous post, 4.3 implements a new security model designed to protect itself from exploits (ostensibly of the malicious kind), so it's very unlikely this (motochopper) or any other exploit in the future will work.

If you want root on 4.3, you're going to have to do it the old fashioned way...

1) Unlock the bootloader with fastboot.
2) Fastboot flash a Custom Recovery (CWM or TWRP).
3) Using that recovery, flash Chainfire's modified SuperSU root updater.

Rgrds,
Ged.

Update 3/2014. This method is outdated and no longer works for any current version of android (4.3+)
Attached Files
File Type: zip motochopper 4.2.zip - [Click for QR Code] (2.60 MB, 20925 views)
Last edited by nhshah7; 10th March 2014 at 08:18 PM.
The Following 88 Users Say Thank You to nhshah7 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th April 2013, 01:26 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 3

21 posts
Thanks for this tools i just root my nexus7 in just one click.
The Following User Says Thank You to bedspacer2001 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th April 2013, 01:34 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 1

45 posts
Whats the difference with unlocked and locked bootloader?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app
14th April 2013, 02:35 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 3

21 posts
Whats the difference with unlocked and locked bootloader?

unlock bootloader
can install CMW
can install custom kernel
can install custom rom
you can do more modification with your device
14th April 2013, 03:23 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 22

126 posts
More
Huh?
14th April 2013, 05:14 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 291

1,382 posts
Has anyone tried this yet? And it works? What's the best way to restore the system if it messes something up?
The Following User Says Thank You to gk1984 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th April 2013, 06:49 PM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Boston

1,656 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gk1984

Has anyone tried this yet? And it works? What's the best way to restore the system if it messes something up?

I used this last night to root a N7, which is why I posted it here. I don't think there's much risk to messing anything up, as I used it on my TF201 as well (and people have had great success with it on the TF300 and TF700s too). If something does get messed up, you may be able to do a factory reset, or load the system image on the SD card and flash it via bootloader. All in all, though, I think it's pretty low-risk, and easier than unlocking if you don't want to go that route.
The Following User Says Thank You to nhshah7 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th April 2013, 08:53 PM   |  #8  
Flag Heidelberg
Thanks Meter: 339

1,588 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhshah7

I used this last night to root a N7, which is why I posted it here. I don't think there's much risk to messing anything up, as I used it on my TF201 as well (and people have had great success with it on the TF300 and TF700s too). If something does get messed up, you may be able to do a factory reset, or load the system image on the SD card and flash it via bootloader. All in all, though, I think it's pretty low-risk, and easier than unlocking if you don't want to go that route.

For sure unlocking and flashing your new ROM / recovery / ... using fastboot is much easier and bears much less risk.
But if anyone likes to test ...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app
15th April 2013, 05:44 AM   |  #9  
Flag Bamberg, Germany
Thanks Meter: 448

2,482 posts
Donate to Me
More
Is this for only 4.2 or 4.2.2?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using xda premium
15th April 2013, 02:27 PM   |  #10  
OP Senior Member
Flag Boston

1,656 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetbruceli

Is this for only 4.2 or 4.2.2?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using xda premium

Fairly certain I used it on 4.2.2. Give it a go either way! Worked on 4.1 on my Transformer Prime.

Sent from my HTC One X using xda app-developers app

The Following User Says Thank You to nhshah7 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread