[Q] Lost Root After Jelly Bean OTA Update

Search This thread

crmcsh01

Jul 6, 2010
I backed up using voodoo rootkeeper and it failed after the update. I followed the steps from Frankie1588 and was able to get # through adb but no prompt for superuser permission from any apps. I also ran these steps (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=32159783) with the files posted. Ran into a couple errors trying to install busybox but just ran through all the commands. When I was finished it still didn't work so I installed supersu from google play and rebooted. Ran busybox installer from google play and was prompted for supersu permission, granted it, and now all my root apps work. Although I now have superuser and supersu, at least it is working.

Reactions: mikepers

Frankie1588

Sep 26, 2011
I did connect with ADB Shell, but did not backup via OTA Rootkeeper.

Unfortunately, this will not work for you. I will clarify that in my original post. Sorry! :(

I backed up using voodoo rootkeeper and it failed after the update. I followed the steps from Frankie1588 and was able to get # through adb but no prompt for superuser permission from any apps. I also ran these steps (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=32159783) with the files posted. Ran into a couple errors trying to install busybox but just ran through all the commands. When I was finished it still didn't work so I installed supersu from google play and rebooted. Ran busybox installer from google play and was prompted for supersu permission, granted it, and now all my root apps work. Although I now have superuser and supersu, at least it is working.

Did you continue after getting # through ADB? I was able to get that, but root still will not be applied until you finish the steps to completion.

Either way, it looks like you have root now so I guess it doesn't matter. :)

crmcsh01

Jul 6, 2010
Yes, really the only reason I kept going was because I had #. I have rebooted a couple times and rechecked everything, seems to be working fine.

avocahose15

Dec 20, 2010
Fix for loosing root after OTA update.

This working for me. I also lost root after update and the Voodoo OTA rootkeeper did not work properly. After following these instructions I was good to go.

Correct me if I am wrong but you have to have a backup of your root from Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper in place in order to use these commands. DO NOT use the file attached in the instructions as it is for a different phone and could brick your device.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=32159783

steanne

i've seen people try ota rootkeeper and supersu's protection, but am i the only one who tried superuser's ota survival? (it didn't work. hitting the toggle off to restore root turns the toggle back on in a second. i can see in adb shell where it stashed the backup, but since the shell doesn't have root i can't remount to move it.)

edit for typo

Last edited:
Reactions: mjcampy

mikepers

Feb 7, 2008
This worked for me

Ok, so in a sleep deprived state late last night I was looking through the various posts hoping to find a way to fix root on my Bionic after losing it post JB update.

I had FXZ'd back to stock ICS, then rooted with motofail, then used OTA to backup root, then updated to JB via recovery with the file on my SD. I was able to restore root with OTA. However, I think after updating the SU binary, I lost root.

Note that even though I wasn't getting SU prompts from the apps I was able to get root via adb shell.

Looking through this thread I followed the link that "crmcsh01" posted on page three that linked over to the Prime thread titled "For those with 'partial' root after JB update - regain root!".

In my sleep deprived state I ran through that procedure using the files in that thread. (the Prime thread) (I guess I am lucky I didn't brick my phone)

Long story short it worked. Root is working again on my Bionic. I deleted my old OTA backup and immediately created a new one. My su binary in all three locations (backup, bin & xbin) is 371.61K

Last edited:

Groid

May 7, 2010
i've seen people try ota rootkeeper and supersu's protection, but am i the only one who tried superuser's ota survival? (it didn't work. hitting the toggle off to restore root turns the toggle back on in a second. i can see in adb shell where it stashed the backup, but since the shell doesn't have root i can't remount to move it.)
I have Superuser also, but protected root with Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper. After flashing the update in stock recovery, OTA rootkeeper restored root for me. All my apps requiring root are working normally.

isleshocky77

Apr 16, 2013
New York, NY
I was protected with Voodoo OTA, in fact when I go in to Voodoo now it still says "Protected su copy available" with the button to "Restore Root". When I click the button it says: "root su restored"; however, it's lying. :(

I've tried going in through adb shell; however, I don't have an su_backup or su-backup anywhere. I've tried using find to figure out where Voodoo would have put it.

Does anyone else have any ideas?

steanne

I was protected with Voodoo OTA, in fact when I go in to Voodoo now it still says "Protected su copy available" with the button to "Restore Root". When I click the button it says: "root su restored"; however, it's lying. :(

I've tried going in through adb shell; however, I don't have an su_backup or su-backup anywhere. I've tried using find to figure out where Voodoo would have put it.

Does anyone else have any ideas?

i thought it was in /usr/we-need-root ?

bobukcat

May 25, 2010
Soft-Bricked Bionic - Help Requested!!

I had my Bionic running a ICS leak, rooted Safestrap installed, etc. but wanted to get it on the "official" JB build and go from there. I had used RSD Lite to flash it to the 246 ICS build, rooted, installed RootKeeper and then manually applied the JB update in recovery. Everything was fine except root would not restore so I decided to go back and start over. I tried to use RSD Lite to flash it back to the 246 ICS build but it fails at 6/15 "flash cdt.bin "cdt-bin" -> Phone returned Failed". I can boot into recovery but that's about it, trying to boot into normal mode puts me back to AP Fastboot Flash Mode (s), 0A.72. Battery OK, OK to Program.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

---------- Post added at 06:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:46 PM ----------

i thought it was in /usr/we-need-root ?

Yes, it places it in /system/usr/we-need-root.

mjcampy

Apr 17, 2013

edit for typo

you aren't the only one, can you tell me where you found the backup?

Obsidian_soul

Jan 23, 2012
Highland, NY

edit for typo

Super SU ota survival works that is the method I used to maintain root. I think your mistake was toggling off the survival mode.

From my CM 10.1 Bionic

steanne

Super SU ota survival works that is the method I used to maintain root. I think your mistake was toggling off the survival mode.

From my CM 10.1 Bionic

no, i'm not discussing supersu, but superuser.

also, even if that were the right program, i only attempted to toggle off the survival mode AFTER the update, and it won't go.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I lost root, but you can bring it back! NOTE: This will ONLY work if you backed up root with Voodoo OTA RootKeeper prior to updating to Jelly Bean!!!

Make sure you have android debugging enabled and mount it as a media device.

Follow these instructions: (copied from another site)

1) Download the unsure su from here and put it somewhere on your C Drive. It will be used in the following push step (Assuming windows) (This is a WIDE OPEN su without any controls). (sparky root i believe?)
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jcpilpgoeta516e/tCB-Ep-3YQ
    2) start a CMD window and logon to adb (type "adb shell" without the quotes to log on)
    3) su -
    4) verify you have root:
    id
    uid=0(root) gid=0(root)........
    If you don't you can try these instead of 'su':

"/system/su-backup" or "/system/su_backup"

5) remount system as RW:
    mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 /system
    6) make a backup of current su just in case in adb
    cat /system/bin/su > /system/bin/su1
    7) open a new CMD window and push the su binary from step 1 to the sdcard using the path from where ever you put it.
    adb push c:\<some path>\su /sdcard/
    8) Then copy it to /system/bin from the adb session where you su'd.
    cat /sdcard/su > /system/bin/su
    9) Change permissions for SU
    chmod 6755 /system/bin/su
    10) download superuser (NOT SUPERSU) from play store if you do not have it already.
    11) have superuser upgrade the su binary. It may fail to remount system as RO. Just rerun the update in superuser and it will work the 2nd time. You don't need to remount system as RO manually since superuser update of SU will do that for you.
    12) congrats. your now rerooted.
    13) remove the backup after you know your OKAY.
    mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 /system
    rm /system/bin/su1
    mount -o remount,ro /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 /system

Hope this helps you guys!
    For people that have lost root:
    I've taken the info that has already been provided in these forums and just put them into what I think are easy to follow instructions. I hope this helps.

What's needed:
    Bionic running JB, powered on with USB debugging on (System settings > Developer Options > USB debugging)
    Windows computer (XP, Vista, 7, or 8)
    Latest Bionic Drivers (Download here or direct from Motorola here)
    USB cable connected to Bionic and your computer (Make sure Bionic is set to MTP mode. Should show as "connected as media device" from your notification pulldown)
    ADB (Download here, unzip to C:\adb on your computer)

Instructions:
    Open a command prompt in Windows (Start > search for "cmd")
    In command prompt type "cd c:\adb" then press enter
    Now type "adb shell" then enter
    Type "su -" then enter
    Type "mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 /system" then enter
    Now leave this command prompt where it is and open a NEW command prompt
    On the NEW command prompt type "cd c:\adb" then enter
    Now type "adb push c:\adb\su /sdcard/" then enter (Don't enter "adb shell" first. That is not needed for this to work)
    Now you can close this command prompt and go back to the first one
    Type "cat /sdcard/su > /system/bin/su" then enter
    Type "chmod 6755 /system/bin/su" then enter
    Download & install Superuser from the Play Store (link here)
    Open Superuser and swipe to the Info screen, touch where it says "tap to check for updates"
    Now hit the "Update" button at the bottom and let it do it's thing. If it fails try update again.
    If update goes through then you now have root!

Credit goes to Frankie1588 for providing the original instructions that you can follow at http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=40340941#post40340941
    Thanks

Just wanted to come by and say thanks for the re-rooting instructions; you're a lifesaver.

Small suggestion for anyone having trouble getting the initial root shell:

If you're just receiving the same "su -" or "su" command back but your shell signature isn't changing (ie. you're still "shell@whatever" instead of "root@whatever") then your root binary is not in /system/bin. Manually change directories by pasting in "cd /system/usr/we-need-root". Likely, your actual root binary is called su-binary and you can achieve a root shell by pasting in "./su-backup".

You should now have root, continue with the procedure as stated.

Later on if you find that when you open a 2nd CMD and try to "adb push" you get "Permission Denied" this is because the sdcards are mounted to your computer and not to the Android filesystem. You need to change the USB mode from whatever it is now to MTP. You can change modes by unlocking your phone, pulling down the notification shade, and tapping on the "USB Mode" option. Once that's done, you should be able to run the "adb push" command as stated above.

Thanks again!
    Just wanted to come by and say thanks for the re-rooting instructions; you're a lifesaver.

Small suggestion for anyone having trouble getting the initial root shell:

If you're just receiving the same "su -" or "su" command back but your shell signature isn't changing (ie. you're still "shell@whatever" instead of "root@whatever") then your root binary is not in /system/bin. Manually change directories by pasting in "cd /system/usr/we-need-root". Likely, your actual root binary is called su-binary and you can achieve a root shell by pasting in "./su-backup".

You should now have root, continue with the procedure as stated.

Later on if you find that when you open a 2nd CMD and try to "adb push" you get "Permission Denied" this is because the sdcards are mounted to your computer and not to the Android filesystem. You need to change the USB mode from whatever it is now to MTP. You can change modes by unlocking your phone, pulling down the notification shade, and tapping on the "USB Mode" option. Once that's done, you should be able to run the "adb push" command as stated above.

Thanks again!

HOLY HELL I have # !!! Now trying the rest!

Hmmm....

Instructions:
    Done.Open a command prompt in Windows (Start > search for "cmd")
    Done.In command prompt type "cd c:\adb" then press enter
    Done.Now type "adb shell" then enter
    (switched to mine and got #) Type "su -" then enter
    Done.Type "mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 /system" then enter
    Done.Now leave this command prompt where it is and open a NEW command prompt
    Done.On the NEW command prompt type "cd c:\adb" then enter
    Done.Now type "adb push c:\adb\su /sdcard/" then enter (Don't enter "adb shell" first. That is not needed for this to work)
    Done.Now you can close this command prompt and go back to the first one
    Done.Type "cat /sdcard/su > /system/bin/su" then enter
    Done.Type "chmod 6755 /system/bin/su" then enter
    I already have SU installed. v3.0.7 (41) -- don't see an update...what now?

Wait -- wait...? Maybe I have it??? Let's see....

I GOT IT!!!