Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,194 Members 51,614 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Droid Bionic Bricked on JB Update

Tip us?

HalfBrian
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default [Q] Droid Bionic Bricked on JB Update

Hi all,

Backstory/Details (skip to bottom for a tl;dr and my questions)

I tried updating my Bionic to the Jelly Bean OTA update (using the file from this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2235946). I had the ICS OTA update with root (orignally rooted GB, took it over to ICS). I tried the update on my system and got a hash fail. I've dealt with this on previous updates, so I booted into my phone and tried to unfreeze my apps. My root was not working and hadn't been for a while (su was there and had the right permissions, but no apps could access root even after updating all of the related apps), so I used Razrs Edge to get it working again. I then tried to use Titanium Backup to unfreeze my apps, but it wasn't working. Thus, I just went into /system/apps and renamed the frozen APKs back to the originals. After that, I booted into recovery (without going back to my system) and "successfully" updated to JB using the OTA update on my SD card.

After the update my phone would never boot. It just got stuck at the boot screen (the one with this logo, after the startup sound http://cdn.androidpolice.com/wp-cont...8/image611.png). I tried wiping the cache, doing a factory reset, re-applying the update. Nothing would get it past the startup screen.

After reading around, it sounded like no one else had issues. Therefore, I was stuck with a useless phone. I read into using RSD Lite to flash a full partition image, and thought it sounded like it would work. Unfortunately, I could not find a JB .fxz image. I read warnings about how you can't go from ICS to GB and hoped that that was not the case with JB/ICS. I decided to roll the dice and try to flash an ICS image.

Needless to say, trying to flash the ICS image using RSD Lite bricked my phone. It is now stuck at the Fastboot screen, and won't do anything. From what I can gather, doing an RSD Lite load using a JB .fxz would probably fix my phone, but I can't find it anywhere.

tl;dr: My JB OTA update semi-bricked my phone, tried to flash an ICS build using RSD Lite, bricked my phone

Does anyone have any advice on how to fix this? Anyone have (or know where to get, or know how to make) a Jelly Bean image that I can flash?

I'm currently using my OG Droid as my temporary for a month before I can upgrade to a new phone. Thus, I'm willing to be pretty risky with my Bionic if need be.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HalfBrian For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

matthimrod
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfBrian View Post
Hi all,

Backstory/Details (skip to bottom for a tl;dr and my questions)

I tried updating my Bionic to the Jelly Bean OTA update (using the file from this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2235946). I had the ICS OTA update with root (orignally rooted GB, took it over to ICS). I tried the update on my system and got a hash fail. I've dealt with this on previous updates, so I booted into my phone and tried to unfreeze my apps. My root was not working and hadn't been for a while (su was there and had the right permissions, but no apps could access root even after updating all of the related apps), so I used Razrs Edge to get it working again. I then tried to use Titanium Backup to unfreeze my apps, but it wasn't working. Thus, I just went into /system/apps and renamed the frozen APKs back to the originals. After that, I booted into recovery (without going back to my system) and "successfully" updated to JB using the OTA update on my SD card.

After the update my phone would never boot. It just got stuck at the boot screen (the one with this logo, after the startup sound http://cdn.androidpolice.com/wp-cont...8/image611.png). I tried wiping the cache, doing a factory reset, re-applying the update. Nothing would get it past the startup screen.

After reading around, it sounded like no one else had issues. Therefore, I was stuck with a useless phone. I read into using RSD Lite to flash a full partition image, and thought it sounded like it would work. Unfortunately, I could not find a JB .fxz image. I read warnings about how you can't go from ICS to GB and hoped that that was not the case with JB/ICS. I decided to roll the dice and try to flash an ICS image.

Needless to say, trying to flash the ICS image using RSD Lite bricked my phone. It is now stuck at the Fastboot screen, and won't do anything. From what I can gather, doing an RSD Lite load using a JB .fxz would probably fix my phone, but I can't find it anywhere.

tl;dr: My JB OTA update semi-bricked my phone, tried to flash an ICS build using RSD Lite, bricked my phone

Does anyone have any advice on how to fix this? Anyone have (or know where to get, or know how to make) a Jelly Bean image that I can flash?

I'm currently using my OG Droid as my temporary for a month before I can upgrade to a new phone. Thus, I'm willing to be pretty risky with my Bionic if need be.
Did RSD give you an error message when you attempted to flash back to ICS?

Back when the first GB update came out, a bunch of people (myself included) had issues with the new update and the trick to flashing back was to use the new cdt.bin (since you couldn't go back from that one). The new cdt.bin file is in the root of the update zip file. Once you have the file, you either need to tweak the XML file that you pushed into RSD or use moto-fastboot.exe instead of RSD and push all of the partition images to the phone manually. That might work here.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to matthimrod For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Bizmaniz
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthimrod View Post
Did RSD give you an error message when you attempted to flash back to ICS?

Back when the first GB update came out, a bunch of people (myself included) had issues with the new update and the trick to flashing back was to use the new cdt.bin (since you couldn't go back from that one). The new cdt.bin file is in the root of the update zip file. Once you have the file, you either need to tweak the XML file that you pushed into RSD or use moto-fastboot.exe instead of RSD and push all of the partition images to the phone manually. That might work here.
Being in the same situation here -> Updated to JB without OTA Rootkeeper made me loose root. Out of haste, I tried FXZ'ing back to ICS. So I followed this thread, and this "almost" worked. I failed at step 6, so then I replaced the cdt.bin file from the JB update into the extracted ICS fxz folder, and it got passed that but failed on a couple of other steps. I edited the XML file to skip those, and when it finished it would never boot up past the M logo.

Thankfully, I was able to still boot into recovery and I just applied the JB update on my SD card. I'm now 100% stock JB, and waiting for a JB root exploit so I can (hopefully) restore my apps through TB.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bizmaniz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

HalfBrian
Old
(Last edited by HalfBrian; 16th April 2013 at 09:49 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Thanks for the suggestion matthimrod, my RSD Lite flash failed on cdt.bin the first time.

As you suggested, I edited the XML and used the cdt.bin from the JB update. However, I'm currently failing on the 15th step, boot.img. (error text for searches: "Failed flashing process. 15/21 flash boot "boot.img" -> Phone returned FAIL"). I looked at the JB update and it looks like they patched the boot partition.

Sounds like it worked for Bizmania to just skip it, so I'll try that right now and post back.

Edit: the updated cdt.bin and commented-out boot.img followed by re-updating to JB worked perfectly. Thanks for you help.

eric3938
Old
(Last edited by eric3938; 17th April 2013 at 12:51 AM.)
Thanks Meter 19
I did the same thing, This worked for me -

Download and extract this
6.7.246 FXZ File

Download and extract this to the previous location
moto-fastboot-win32.zip

Boot into fastboot mode

Connect to PC with USB

On PC, open command window and navigate to folder created above. I renamed the folders and made them easy to navigate to.

Use commands

Code:
moto-fastboot.exe flash preinstall preinstall.img
moto-fastboot.exe flash system system.img
Once finished reboot to stock recovery (This system WILL NOT BOOT) and install the Jelly Bean zip from SD Card

Reboot

Won't get root back but you'll have a working device.

Spent the past several hours trying to figure this out and just now got my phone to boot into JB.

If your battery is dead, tear apart an old WALL charger, cut the cord and attach pos to pos and neg to neg put a piece of tape over your battery terminals (don't think this would be good for the battery) and put battery in to hold it in place. Not sure how to tell which wire is pos, guessing always works for me lol.

NOTE: A stock wall charger does not seem to put out enough power to fully boot the phone, so remove the wires and tape and charge the battery normally to at least 10% then boot, this made my phone loop while trying to first boot and I thought something was wrong with the system

Edit: Seems at some point I corrupted my internal sd card, the OS was able to reformat. Not sure if it is related or not.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to eric3938 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

DroidForLife33
Old
Thanks Meter 49
Default help stuck in fastboot mode

Earic3938
Can you please explain about getting the files to the command prompt. In a more step by step not sure how to open them up in command.

eric3938
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidForLife33 View Post
Earic3938
Can you please explain about getting the files to the command prompt. In a more step by step not sure how to open them up in command.
The files are on your computer, command prompt is just a different way to look at them.

Use the "dir" command to view files in current directory/folder, "cd" to change folders ex.. cd [folder name], cd followed by two periods(cd..) would move up a folder. You're just looking at the files in a different way (other than windows), all the same files are there.

I renamed my folder to V246 just to make it easy to find and put it on the root of C: to change directory to C you can type cd C:\

Click image for larger version

Name:	cmd3.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	1889262
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cmd2.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	1889257  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to eric3938 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

DroidForLife33
Old
Thanks Meter 49
Default Thanks

I'm re-flashing the Jb update now thanks for the help Ill just wait till a root method comes out.

eric3938
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidForLife33 View Post
I'm re-flashing the Jb update now thanks for the help Ill just wait till a root method comes out.
Yeah, think that's kinda what all of us in here are waiting on, lol

Glad I could help!!

Geekswife1992
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Talking Thank you so much!

After I botched the Jelly Bean update (made a huge mistake and tried to restore data through TWRP; it's apparently not like CWM) which overwrote some of the Jelly Bean system files, this thread helped me pull my Bionic back from the dead.

It took many hours and a lot of breath holding, but I am now running Jelly Bean unrooted and somehow managed to have my data stay pretty much in tact.

I wish I could tell you exactly what worked, but I tried so many things I really can't. I do know that using moto-fastboot.exe was the key. I also know I needed to have the recovery.img rewritten to the phone, but I honestly don't know which one worked. LOL

Once that recovery.img copied over everything else fell into place.

Thanks again this community ROCKS!
http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/7940/geekswife.jpg