5,594,077 Members 46,531 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Tutorial][VIDEO] Add/integrate apps into Settings app!

Tip us?
 
RomWiz
Old
(Last edited by RomWiz; 30th August 2013 at 02:27 PM.) Reason: More info!
#1  
RomWiz's Avatar
Recognized Themer - OP
Thanks Meter 1171
Posts: 2,727
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Helsingborg

 
DONATE TO ME
Default [Tutorial][VIDEO] Add/integrate apps into Settings app!

Hello!
I wanted to make this little tutorial since many people wounder how to add certain apps to settings app

On XDA Portal

Things you will need
Apktool: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1755243
Notepad++: http://notepad-plus-plus.org/download/v6.3.2.html

Video tutorial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75ZzDs3seqw

Check out my YouTube channel for more videos

The procedure

1: Download and extract apktool into a folder


2: Extract Settings.apk and framework-res.apk from your ROM to the apktool folder


3: Open up cmd and go to the APKtool folder


4: Install the framework


5: Put the app you want to add in the apktool folder then decompile Settings and the app


6: Open the settings folder and navigate to /res/values and open Strings.xml with notepad++


7: Add the name of the app furthest down


8: Navigate to /res/xml and open settings_headers.xml


9: Add this
Code:
	<header android:icon="@drawable/..." android:title="@string/...">
        <intent android:targetPackage="..." android:action="android.intent.action.MAIN" android:targetClass="..." />
    </header>



10: navigate to the decompile app you want to add and open androidmanifest.xml


11: Copy the name at the top


12: Then paste here


13: Hold on your screen and select shortcuts


14: Choose activities


15: Scrool to the app and then press it


16: Enter what you found there here


18: Choose a name for the icon you will be using



19: Go to the app you will be adding and navigate to /res/drawable-****


20: Copy the icon to Settings/res/drawable-**** and rename it to what you put in the XML file


21: And now lets build it


22: When the building is done navigate to Settings/dist/ and there is you new Settings app


I will add a zip in the attachments, just put the Settings app in /system/app/ folder in the zip then move it to your phone and flash it

EDIT Another way to install the app (with adb):
Code:
adb remount 
adb push Settings.apk /system/app/ 
adb shell chmod 644 /system/app/Settings.apk 
adb reboot
EDIT 2: If you get any FCs or errors (app not showing up) after installing try to open up the original Settings.apk and copy AndroidManifest.xml and META-INF folder to /apktool/Settings/build/apk/ then build again (repeat every time you build)
Attached Files
File Type: zip System Flasher.zip - [Click for QR Code] (144.2 KB, 279 views)

Work and time needs gratitude Donate to me

The Following 58 Users Say Thank You to RomWiz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
mcmaster81
Old
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 12
Posts: 103
Join Date: Feb 2012
very nice tutorial, for which roms will this work? stock, cmXX

i have a LG L9, with stock jelly bean rom. will this work for me?
 
RomWiz
Old
#3  
RomWiz's Avatar
Recognized Themer - OP
Thanks Meter 1171
Posts: 2,727
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Helsingborg

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmaster81 View Post
very nice tutorial, for which roms will this work? stock, cmXX

i have a LG L9, with stock jelly bean rom. will this work for me?
Any rom above 4.0

Work and time needs gratitude Donate to me

 
c3n_dhol
Old
#4  
c3n_dhol's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 12
Posts: 119
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Salatiga
cool tutorial... thanks, I appreciate it...
 
RomWiz
Old
#5  
RomWiz's Avatar
Recognized Themer - OP
Thanks Meter 1171
Posts: 2,727
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Helsingborg

 
DONATE TO ME
I think i will add a video tutorial soon

Work and time needs gratitude Donate to me

 
XivilidMohamed
Old
#6  
Member
Thanks Meter 4
Posts: 89
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: المملكة العربية
Tks 4 tuts useful.
 
hecvalve
Old
#7  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 19
Join Date: May 2012
Location: VALLADOLID
Nice tutorial thanks
but i have a error when i complied settings.apk

C:\apktool>apktool b Settings.apk
Exception in thread "main" brut.androlib.AndrolibException: brut.directory.PathN
otExist: apktool.yml
at brut.androlib.Androlib.readMetaFile(Androlib.java: 164)
at brut.androlib.Androlib.build(Androlib.java:183)
at brut.androlib.Androlib.build(Androlib.java:176)
at brut.apktool.Main.cmdBuild(Main.java:228)
at brut.apktool.Main.main(Main.java:79)
Caused by: brut.directory.PathNotExist: apktool.yml
at brut.directory.AbstractDirectory.getFileInput(Abst ractDirectory.java:
103)
at brut.androlib.Androlib.readMetaFile(Androlib.java: 160)
... 4 more

could you help me?

sorry for my english

thanks
 
RomWiz
Old
#8  
RomWiz's Avatar
Recognized Themer - OP
Thanks Meter 1171
Posts: 2,727
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Helsingborg

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by hecvalve View Post
Nice tutorial thanks
but i have a error when i complied settings.apk

C:\apktool>apktool b Settings.apk
Exception in thread "main" brut.androlib.AndrolibException: brut.directory.PathN
otExist: apktool.yml
at brut.androlib.Androlib.readMetaFile(Androlib.java: 164)
at brut.androlib.Androlib.build(Androlib.java:183)
at brut.androlib.Androlib.build(Androlib.java:176)
at brut.apktool.Main.cmdBuild(Main.java:228)
at brut.apktool.Main.main(Main.java:79)
Caused by: brut.directory.PathNotExist: apktool.yml
at brut.directory.AbstractDirectory.getFileInput(Abst ractDirectory.java:
103)
at brut.androlib.Androlib.readMetaFile(Androlib.java: 160)
... 4 more

could you help me?

sorry for my english

thanks
Dont have the .apk extension when building. Should look like this apktool b Settings

Work and time needs gratitude Donate to me

 
alexforsale
Old
#9  
alexforsale's Avatar
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 16
Join Date: Dec 2011
I will try this later thanks for the guide,
I'm trying to add a TTS setting to a rom which doesn't have a TTS options in the Settings -> language & input. can you tell me what activity should I choose? I cannot open TTS settings from my phone.
 
RomWiz
Old
#10  
RomWiz's Avatar
Recognized Themer - OP
Thanks Meter 1171
Posts: 2,727
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Helsingborg

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexforsale View Post
I will try this later thanks for the guide,
I'm trying to add a TTS setting to a rom which doesn't have a TTS options in the Settings -> language & input. can you tell me what activity should I choose? I cannot open TTS settings from my phone.
Actually, i have never used TTS so i dont really know :/

Work and time needs gratitude Donate to me


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes