This is my latest ClockworkMod recovery image for THL W8/W8+ (MTK6589) - completely built from source.
After I coded in some MTK6589 specific functionality, this recovery can now make fully consistent backups.
This means you can safely backup/restore between different versions of ROMs (Android versions) and
your device will be able to boot restored ROM that was previously backed up, without any problems.
USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY DAMAGE CAUSED TO YOUR DEVICE.
Read carefully before you proceed
- Recovery is dependent on the particular Build Number of your current system. Don't flash recovery image that is
not designed for your build number - it won't work. Instead, use "How to dump stock recovery image" instructions
below to dump stock recovery. Post it here together with your Build number and I'll take care of the rest.
You can find out your build number in Settings / About phone
- Some THL W8 models can't boot into recovery using Vol+ / Power on combination. Either because you have enabled "Quick boot"
in the accessibility settings or because there's a "recovery-from-boot.p" script present on the system partition that breaks recovery booting process.
In such case, ADB can be used to reboot into recovery.
(use command line: adb.exe reboot recovery (USB debugging must be turned on in Settings / Developer options))
How to dump stock recovery image
If there's already CWM recovery package available for your build number (check "Installation instructions" below to find out),
skip this chapter. Otherwise:
1) Download and install USB VCOM Driver
2) Download, extract and launch SP Flash Tool
3) Use "Scatter-loading" button to load attached scatter file: MT6589_Android_scatter_emmc.txt
4) Switch to "Read back" tab
5) Add only one row, double click on it, a dialog will pop up:
- set destination file where stock recovery will be saved, press OK.
- another dialog will pop up where you have to:
--- set Start address to be: 0x0000000002D80000 (copy&paste from here to avoid mistakes)
--- set Length to be: 0x00600000 (copy&paste from here to avoid mistakes)
This is how it should look like:
6) Turn off your phone. Press "Read back" button and connect your phone
If drivers are installed correctly, read back process will begin. If nothing happens,
check device manager if driver is installed correctly, if it shows warning, update driver manually then repeat the Read back process again.
7) Post your dumped recovery image here together with your build number you find in Settings / About phone.
I'll take care of the rest.
1) Download and install USB VCOM Driver
2) Download and extract SP Flash Tool
3) Download and extract proper recovery image matching your build number
ThL W8 4GB
- ThL_W8.JB.HD.EN.COM.8P32_MT6589V1.0.2_20130319 (W8 4GB international - Android 4.1.2)
- ThL_W8.JB.HD.EN.COM.8P32_MT6589V1.0.4_20130328 (W8 4GB international - Android 4.1.2)
- ThL_W8.JB2.HD.CN.COM.8P32_MT6589V1.0.9_20130418 (W8 4GB Chinese)
- ThL_W8.JB2.HD.EN.COM.8P32_MT6589V1.0.3_20130420 (W8 4GB international)
- ThL_W8.JB2.HD.CN.COM.8P32_MT6589V1.0.3_20130508 (W8 4GB Chinese Lewa OS)
- ThL_W8.JB2.HD.EN.COM.8P32_MT6589V1.0.4_20130510 (W8 4GB international)
- ThL_W8.JB2.HD.EN.COM.8P32_MT6589V1.0.5_20130601 (W8 4GB international)
- THL_W8.JB2.HD.CN.COM.8P32_MT6589V1.0_20130605 (W8 4GB Chinese)
- ThL_W8.JB2.HD.EN.COM.8P32_MT6589V1.0.6_20130807 (W8 4GB international)
ThL W8 8GB
- ThL_W8.JB.HD.EN.COM.8P64_MT6589V1.0.5_20130204 (W8 8GB international)
- ThL_W8.JB.HD.EN.COM.8P64_MT6589V1.0.13_20130312 (W8 8GB international)
ThL W8 16GB
- ThL_W8.JB2.HD.EN.COM.8P128_MT6589V1.0.1_20130506 (W8 16GB international)
- ThL_W8.JB2.HD.EN.COM.8P128_MT6589V1.0.2_20130616 (W8 16GB international)
- ThL_W8.JB2.FHD.EN.COM.8P128_MT6589V1.0.2_20130418 (W8+ 16GB international)
- ThL_W8.JB2.FHD.EN.COM.8P128_MT6589V1.0.3_20130425 (W8+ 16GB international)
- ThL_W8.JB2.FHD.EN.COM.8P128_MT6589V1.0.4_20130515 (W8+ 16GB international)
- ThL_W8.JB2.FHD.EN.COM.8P128_MT6589V1.0.5_20130517 (W8+ 16GB international)
- ThL_W8.JB2.FHD.EN.COM.8P128_MT6589V1.0.6_20130606 (W8+ 16GB international)
- ThL_W8.JB2.FHD.EN.COM.8P128_MT6589V1.0.7_20130625 (W8+ 16GB International)
ThL W8 Beyond
- ThL_W8.JB2.FHD.CN.COM.8P128_MT6589TV1.0.4_20130614 (W8 Beyond Chinese)
- ThL_W8.JB2.FHD.CN.COM.8P128_MT6589TV1.0.5_20130626 (W8 Beyond Chinese)
- ThL_W8_beyond.JB2.FHD.EN.COM.8P128_MT6589TV1.0.1_2 0130618 (W8 Beyond International)
- ThL_W8_beyond.JB2.FHD.EN.COM.8P128_MT6589TV1.0.2_2 0130626 (W8 Beyond International)
- ThL_W8_beyond.JB2.FHD.EN.COM.8P128_MT6589TV1.0.3_2 0130731 (W8 Beyond international)
- ThL_W8s.JB2.FHD.EN.COM.16P256_MT6589TV1.0.2_201307 15 (W8s international)
- ThL_W8s.JB2.FHD.EN.COM.16P256_MT6589TV1.0.3_201308 15 (W8s international)
- ThL_W8s.JB2.FHD.EN.COM.16P256_MT6589TV1.0.4_201309 23 (W8s international)
- ThL_W8s.JB2.FHD.EN.COM.16P256_MT6589TV1.0.5_201310 09 (W8s international)
- ThL_W8s.JB2.FHD.EN.COM.16P256_MT6589TV1.0.6_201310 16 (W8s international)
4) Run SP Flash Tool, click on "Scatter file" button and choose "MT6589_Android_scatter_emmc.txt" extracted in step 3)
5) Click on RECOVERY item and choose .img file extracted in step 3)
6) Turn off your phone. Make sure USB cable is unplugged. Wait until vibrator indicates it's turned off
7) Click Download button in SP Flash tool, confirm warning complaining about not all files being selected
8) Connect your phone and wait for the flash process to finish (indicated by window with green circle)
9) Unplug USB cable. Hold down Volume+ while turning your phone on to boot into recovery
Device config: https://github.com/C3C0/android_device_thl_w8
- CyanogenMod team
- bgcngm - for MTK Tools needed to repack recovery images into correct format