Help please with soft unbrick, details in post

Search This thread

Deviantelf

Oct 30, 2011
I had whatever, that updated to 7.3 as soon as I turned it on. Rooted fine with KF First Aide. Installed ES File Explorer, Google Play, etc. All was well. Then I read a post here how hard it was to copy/paste with ES File Explorer. I was joking about it with my husband and showing him how easy it was and copied random file... literally just randomly long pressed a file to show him the options, picked copy, and then went to another directory and *meant* to point to but touched paste instead... it was one of the Google Play files.

Kindle fire hd 7" immediately started freaking out. A mac address type error flashing so quick I couldn't do anything else. It was the same low letters and numbers you'd get with a mac address but said error and just an OK button which did nothing when you manage to tap in while flashing. Restarted, thinking if I was lucky Google Play just would't work... got the red triangle and neither option helped. So I ordered one of SkOrPn's cables which works flawlessly and boots right into fastboot. Yay for SkOrPn! Not so ya for me... (not their fault!).

It shows up as "Tate-PVT-08". I've tried every variation of driver I can find. Uninstalling all old things I can find, complete with the command line command to show ghost hubs/devices and what not and removing them and shut down/start up fresh too... no joy. Also removing and restarting between each driver try... neither of the Amazon drivers work for fastboot for me. I've tried so many things at this point my brain is fried.

So I'm hoping someone can help direct me how to fix this. :(. I won it in an online giveaway, so I'm not out anything, but it'd sure be nice to use it! As messed up as the Kindle crap is I'd be pissed if I bought it... but I'm majorly spoiled on Sony (Ericsson) and their "ya, play with it, screw it up, we don't care, here's how to fix it online just plug it in"... even before they had the online thing they'd let you send it back (and paid shipping both ways for it!) would reflash firmware and send it back with paper ticket that said "No problems found" lol... even on a device you actually bricked (wouldn't turn on... not the cute "brick"="I screwed it up but it's fixable" that people use now).

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Especially if you could steer me to drivers that work for 2nd generation HD 7 inch in fastboot on Windows 8. Thanks for reading if nothing else!

Last edited:
Reactions: Geckodudes

Deviantelf

Oct 30, 2011
Thanks for the reply, but I've been doing that. Great advice for anyone who doesn't know though!

r3pwn

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 11, 2012
r3pwn.com
You couldn't have damaged anything by just copying a file unless either:
You cut the file
OR
You overwrote a system file
OR
You filled up your system partition.
If you still need help, I might be able to do some researching.

Sent From my Kindle Fire HD running CM10.1

Reactions: Deviantelf

Shawnsch

Jul 13, 2012
I'd say your fast boot driver didn't install right mine showed up like that and I had to keep playing with drivers to get it to work

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD running CM 10.1

Geckodudes

Apr 22, 2013
Petaluma
FIXED!!

It's fixed! You have to use KindleFireAide. Just follow all of the directions and it's perfect.:laugh::laugh::laugh::good::good::good:

Deviantelf

Oct 30, 2011
I'd say your fast boot driver didn't install right mine showed up like that and I had to keep playing with drivers to get it to work

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD running CM 10.1

Thanks, I was hoping there was a better answer than just keep uninstalling/reinstalling various drivers in various ways til it works lol.

I've got a pc I haven't plugged it in to I'll try this weekend, if that doesn't work I'll do the Linux Soup Kit.

Deviantelf

Oct 30, 2011
Use Kindle Fire Aide. It comes with all of the drivers.
That was my first thing to try. Unfortunately one of them says stopped by user (preferred one) and the alternate won't install, gets to the end of installing and says didn't install, do manually... which has the same results. I'm getting the same results on another pc. Fun times lol.

Edit... I give up, it's Linux time. Will report back later.

Last edited:

Deviantelf

Oct 30, 2011
My husband did the Soup kit (correct version, followed directions, etc.) with it for me while I was at work today on an pc he put Linux on (so nothing phone/tablet/adb/driver has ever touched it for anything). He's more savvy with Linux, I haven't used it much since the 90s while he regularly has it as a dual boot on his main pc. He used Ubuntu, followed the Soupkit directions and still no Linux love either.

I'm pretty much down to just sending it back, worst case they send it back and tell me I'm screwed. Both of us are so spoiled on Sony (me) and Google/Nexus (him)... that this some things only works sometimes and just keep bashing your head into the wall and something you already tried three times will work thing is out of our frame of reference (which is what it took to get it rooted lol). I've already spent more time trying to fix the stupid thing for something that shouldn't have even caused an issue than I've spent on both my Sonys combined... even though I've borked both more than once... crazy.

My only advice ... buy a real tablet lol. Luckily I won this so I'm not out anything if Amazon won't swap it... but I really like the 7" size for book reading.

Last edited:

Geckodudes

Apr 22, 2013
Petaluma
I'll fix it for you...

My husband did the Soup kit (correct version, followed directions, etc.) with it for me while I was at work today on an pc he put Linux on (so nothing phone/tablet/adb/driver has ever touched it for anything). He's more savvy with Linux, I haven't used it much since the 90s while he regularly has it as a dual boot on his main pc. He used Ubuntu, followed the Soupkit directions and still no Linux love either.

I'm pretty much down to just sending it back, worst case they send it back and tell me I'm screwed. Both of us are so spoiled on Sony (me) and Google/Nexus (him)... that this some things only works sometimes and just keep bashing your head into the wall and something you already tried three times will work thing is out of our frame of reference (which is what it took to get it rooted lol). I've already spent more time trying to fix the stupid thing for something that shouldn't have even caused an issue than I've spent on both my Sonys combined... even though I've borked both more than once... crazy.

My only advice ... buy a real tablet lol. Luckily I won this so I'm not out anything if Amazon won't swap it... but I really like the 7" size for book reading.

If you're gonna send it anywhere, if you pay for shipping I could try to fix it. No guarantees, of course.

KindleFireGuy

Jan 31, 2012
King
If you are on Windows 8 to install kfhd drivers you must advanced boot with unsigned drivers install mode active

Sent from my KFTT using xda premium

Deviantelf

Oct 30, 2011
If you are on Windows 8 to install kfhd drivers you must advanced boot with unsigned drivers install mode active

Sent from my KFTT using xda premium

Ya did all that fun stuff, repeatedly with various drivers with all the 20 steps in between to remove others, lol.

Husband spent quite some time with Linux and SoupKit to no avail also. He could get his phone to work (making sure he had all the rules and steps correct), but it never would do anything with the tablet.

I gave up and called Amazon late Monday. They had me turn it on and verify the red triangle screen then sent me a new one that arrived today. Take the new one out of the box and put the old one in they said. They paid shipping both ways. If they complain I'll tell them send me the old and I'll send the new one back lol (at my expense). If they want to make the thing such a mess to deal with what do they expect? They know there's a whole group of people that won't live with the crappy launcher mess they have :).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I had whatever, that updated to 7.3 as soon as I turned it on. Rooted fine with KF First Aide. Installed ES File Explorer, Google Play, etc. All was well. Then I read a post here how hard it was to copy/paste with ES File Explorer. I was joking about it with my husband and showing him how easy it was and copied random file... literally just randomly long pressed a file to show him the options, picked copy, and then went to another directory and *meant* to point to but touched paste instead... it was one of the Google Play files.

Kindle fire hd 7" immediately started freaking out. A mac address type error flashing so quick I couldn't do anything else. It was the same low letters and numbers you'd get with a mac address but said error and just an OK button which did nothing when you manage to tap in while flashing. Restarted, thinking if I was lucky Google Play just would't work... got the red triangle and neither option helped. So I ordered one of SkOrPn's cables which works flawlessly and boots right into fastboot. Yay for SkOrPn! Not so ya for me... (not their fault!).

It shows up as "Tate-PVT-08". I've tried every variation of driver I can find. Uninstalling all old things I can find, complete with the command line command to show ghost hubs/devices and what not and removing them and shut down/start up fresh too... no joy. Also removing and restarting between each driver try... neither of the Amazon drivers work for fastboot for me. I've tried so many things at this point my brain is fried.

So I'm hoping someone can help direct me how to fix this. :(. I won it in an online giveaway, so I'm not out anything, but it'd sure be nice to use it! As messed up as the Kindle crap is I'd be pissed if I bought it... but I'm majorly spoiled on Sony (Ericsson) and their "ya, play with it, screw it up, we don't care, here's how to fix it online just plug it in"... even before they had the online thing they'd let you send it back (and paid shipping both ways for it!) would reflash firmware and send it back with paper ticket that said "No problems found" lol... even on a device you actually bricked (wouldn't turn on... not the cute "brick"="I screwed it up but it's fixable" that people use now).

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Especially if you could steer me to drivers that work for 2nd generation HD 7 inch in fastboot on Windows 8. Thanks for reading if nothing else!
    You couldn't have damaged anything by just copying a file unless either:
    You cut the file
    OR
    You overwrote a system file
    OR
    You filled up your system partition.
    If you still need help, I might be able to do some researching.

Sent From my Kindle Fire HD running CM10.1