Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,536 Members 53,996 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Cracked Camera Glass. Another build quality issue?

Tip us?

jackwu95
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
Default Cracked Camera Glass. Another build quality issue?

I've had my One from Rogers Canada since launch day last Friday.
I've been reading all the issues here about the build qualities of this phone. Mine has a hair gap on the top and the screen also rises slightly at the top edge. I've decided that these were ok and happily used my phone with great care.

No I do not have a case, and neither did I use a case for my previous Samsung Infuse which I used 2 years without dropping it ever.

Today when I turned my One over, the camera glass was cracked! It looks like it got hit somewhere and just gave in. Seems pretty impossible as the rest of the phone is in perfect condition without a single scratch. I keep the phone in my pocket top down, screen facing inwards as I always have in the last few years.

This is so frustrating...I'm afraid if I get an exchange I'll end up with one or more of the several build issues that people have been seeing.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Crack.png
Views:	12197
Size:	170.3 KB
ID:	1906358
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jackwu95 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

insomnia
Old
Thanks Meter 43
You will get an exchange for a damaged phone that was caused by you (intentionally or unintentionally) ? They should kick you out of the store for asking that or hang up on you if you call to simply get it exchanged without paying for the damage.

People these days .....
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to insomnia For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

gtg465x
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2809
Probably wasn't a high impact hit. You probably leaned on the corner of a table or something without realizing it and the pressure from the corner was focused all on that point.
Current Phones:
Moto X GSM Unlocked

Previous Phones:
HTC One Unlocked, Nexus 4, iPhone 5, Galaxy Nexus, iPhone 4S, HTC One X, Nokia Lumia 800, HTC Titan, Samsung Galaxy S II, Samsung Infuse, LG Thrill, HTC Inspire, Samsung Captivate, HTC Aria, Samsung BlackJack II
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gtg465x For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jackwu95
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
The do not believe that I should be held responsible for this glass. It should point to the fact that the glass might have been fractured slightly so that slight pressure pushed it in from the beginning.

The argument is that I have used this phone for 3 days, taking exceptional care of it, and ended up with a cracked camera glass as opposed of my previous phone, which I used for 2 years and doesn't have a dent in its plastic, let alone cracked glass.

Also, why be so offensive Mr insomnia? Is the fact that the One's build quality is way lower than expected hurting your fanboy heart?
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to jackwu95 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jeeptrash
Old
Thanks Meter 24
Probably be a great time to buy a case, don't you think?

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jeeptrash For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

stesa
Old
Thanks Meter 112
it seem like has been hit by a bullet , maybe HTC One saved your life !
The Following 36 Users Say Thank You to stesa For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

EnIXmA
Old
Thanks Meter 154
Feel sorry for you bro. I am getting a leather pouch this weekend to avoid any damage to my One

Sent from my Nexus 10 using XDA Premium HD app
The Following User Says Thank You to EnIXmA For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Element515
Old
Thanks Meter 52
even if you didn't do this, You're going to have a hell of a time proving it. You very well could have just leaned on it too hard during the day and put pressure on the glass. You need a real friendly service rep to accept the possibility there was a previous fracture
The Following User Says Thank You to Element515 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mettleh3d
Old
Thanks Meter 249
10 years ago if this were a psp or gameboy we all knew we were sh1t out of luck and that it was our own fault. We "deserve" nothing.

Clowns
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mettleh3d For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jackwu95
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mettleh3d View Post
10 years ago if this were a psp or gameboy we all knew we were sh1t out of luck and that it was our own fault. We "deserve" nothing.

Clowns
Times have changed, customers expect more because companies are providing more. If I can get better quality service why would I settle for less?

Also, phones shouldn't be designed with cases in mind. I shouldn't need to have a case for my phone to prevent camera glass shattering through normal daily use.

I'm heading back to the store tomorrow and see if I get a nice rep to help me. I'll let you guys know

The Following User Says Thank You to jackwu95 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
camera glass, crack