Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,773 Members 52,071 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Battery/Phone Getting Very Hot

Tip us?

stepinmyworld
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 40
Default Battery/Phone Getting Very Hot

Hey everyone -

Not sure if you've experienced this but I have the At&t HTC One 32GB model and I noticed that it heats up when watching videos or even downloading something. It gets over 100F as I have a battery monitor which informs me and I feel how uncomfortable it is. anyone else expericing this and maybe we'll need to root and Use Set CPU to add a profile which underclocks the CPU when it goes over 90 or something like that

I could just have a faulty device but i've read a few articles where people mentioned this but it doesn't get much attention -probably because people don't wanna bad mouth the phone so to speak. who knows

Maybe a Kernel and software update will help along with battery drain.

Nyxagamemnon
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepinmyworld View Post
Hey everyone -

Not sure if you've experienced this but I have the At&t HTC One 32GB model and I noticed that it heats up when watching videos or even downloading something. It gets over 100F as I have a battery monitor which informs me and I feel how uncomfortable it is. anyone else expericing this and maybe we'll need to root and Use Set CPU to add a profile which underclocks the CPU when it goes over 90 or something like that

I could just have a faulty device but i've read a few articles where people mentioned this but it doesn't get much attention -probably because people don't wanna bad mouth the phone so to speak. who knows

Maybe a Kernel and software update will help along with battery drain.

Your not alone I experience the same thing.

ratykat
Old
Thanks Meter 81
I have the same issue, I just use the phone in the official flip case and that stops it hurting haha
Current Device - HTC One 32GB Silver

History:
HTC One
Samsung Galaxy S3
HTC Sensation
HTC Desire HD
HTC Desire
Apple iPhone 3GS
Motorola A1000
Apple iPhone (1st Gen)
HTC TyTN II
Sagem MYX-7
Nokia 3330
Motorola v2288

iraqgsm
Old
Thanks Meter 13
i guess its not common one i got 2 from letstalk 64gb dev and they are great, maybe try to get replacement oh and both were made around 04/15 according to the serail info thread

darkgoon3r96
Old
Thanks Meter 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by iraqgsm View Post
i guess its not common one i got 2 from letstalk 64gb dev and they are great, maybe try to get replacement oh and both were made around 04/15 according to the serail info thread
Yes according to some posts I read the April phone batches fixed the heating issue.
Please press the thanks button if I helped you

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note II GT-N7100
Custom ROM: WanamLite v4.1
Kernel Testing: RedPill v0.7
Battery: Stock
HyDrOG3N-ICS 18.04 + Stock + Thoravukk 2.41 + Siyah 3.1.2 - RESULTS
Resurrection v1.4 + Stock - RESULTS

stepinmyworld
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by iraqgsm View Post
well that's awesome.. hopefully other's who are having the issue can get a fix. not good

godofwar424
Old
Thanks Meter 135
The heat is normal, you will find that the SoC can safely go up to 60 degrees Celsius and possibly more. The reason you feel it is due to aluminium being very good at dissipating the heat and as your hands are touching the metal, they conduct that heat :P

Its really just a case of either getting a case/cover. OR hold the device with two hands with the bottom of your palm (wrist end) pressed into the two sides of the phone (landscape) This way you get minimal heat to your hands and the device can cool itself as more air will get to the back

stepinmyworld
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofwar424 View Post
The heat is normal, you will find that the SoC can safely go up to 60 degrees Celsius and possibly more. The reason you feel it is due to aluminium being very good at dissipating the heat and as your hands are touching the metal, they conduct that heat :P

Its really just a case of either getting a case/cover. OR hold the device with two hands with the bottom of your palm (wrist end) pressed into the two sides of the phone (landscape) This way you get minimal heat to your hands and the device can cool itself as more air will get to the back
sounds great but it even heats up when the case is on it.. all phones heat up but this is pretty hot. i bet if they did that melting butter experiment with this chip, it will melt with absolutely no problem lol. this may sound strange but sometimes when im holding it and its hot, i use my mind and it cools down off and on.. goodness knows i be trynna make that work because i know how everything is really connected but yeah

hope they address this somehow

thank you for your response and others
The Following User Says Thank You to stepinmyworld For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

godofwar424
Old
Thanks Meter 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepinmyworld View Post
sounds great but it even heats up when the case is on it.. all phones heat up but this is pretty hot. i bet if they did that melting butter experiment with this chip, it will melt with absolutely no problem lol. this may sound strange but sometimes when im holding it and its hot, i use my mind and it cools down off and on.. goodness knows i be trynna make that work because i know how everything is really connected but yeah

hope they address this somehow

thank you for your response and others
Yeah its just due to the metal honestly. In plastic phones the area where the SoC is gets extremely hot and just as unbearable to touch. BUT as this is an aluminium unibody the heat spreads all over. The reason I said to hold the top and bottom of the device where the speakers are is because there is a plastic strip separating the middle piece of metal from the two sides, meaning these sides are cooler to hold.
The Following User Says Thank You to godofwar424 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

h.han
Old
Thanks Meter 71
Yes, mine one can get quite hot especially when I play game. However one the other hand, I find it cooling down extremely fast comparing to my GS3 which does take time to warm up also to go back to comfortable temperature.

Must due to the aluminum back which transfers the heat faster than plastic.

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app

The Following User Says Thank You to h.han For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]