Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,777,659 Members 44,934 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[How-to] Disable OTA updates on Stock + Rooted ROMs

Tip us?

rocket321
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 461
Info 2 [How-to] Disable OTA updates on Stock + Rooted ROMs

I see this question come up once in a while here, and I had a similar thread on the ET4G about this so I thought I'd recreate it here for you S3 folks. I recently flashed to LJ7 to do some testing and while there was getting bugged by the OTA update, so I tried this method out and confirmed it does work on the S3 as well.

1. Download FOTAKill.apk* and copy to your Phone/SD
2. Use a root explorer (such as ES Explorer) to copy the file to /system/app
3. If the update already downloaded, use your root explorer to delete it from /cache
4. reboot

If the update notice is still in the notification bar after the reboot, simply swipe it away. That should be the last time you are ever prompted to update via OTA. Even if you manually go to system update and click check now it will no longer offer you the OTA. You can simply delete the apk from /system/app to reverse this mod.

*Credit for the apk goes to the CM team and or the folks who create the gapps packages!

*If anyone would like to make a CWM flashable I would be happy to add it here and give you credit.
Attached Files
File Type: apk FOTAKill.apk - [Click for QR Code] (22.5 KB, 8917 views)
The Following 35 Users Say Thank You to rocket321 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

topherk
Old
Thanks Meter 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket321 View Post
I see this question come up once in a while here, and I had a similar thread on the ET4G about this so I thought I'd recreate it here for you S3 folks. I recently flashed to LJ7 to do some testing and while there was getting bugged by the OTA update, so I tried this method out and confirmed it does work on the S3 as well.

1. Download FOTAKill.apk* and copy to your Phone/SD
2. Use a root explorer (such as ES Explorer) to copy the file to /system/app
3. If the update already downloaded, use your root explorer to delete it from /cache
4. reboot

If the update notice is still in the notification bar after the reboot, simply swipe it away. That should be the last time you are ever prompted to update via OTA. Even if you manually go to system update and click check now it will no longer offer you the OTA. You can simply delete the apk from /system/app to reverse this mod.

*Credit for the apk goes to the CM team and or the folks who create the gapps packages!

*If anyone would like to make a CWM flashable I would be happy to add it here and give you credit.
CNexus created a really good sticky guide to talk about OTAs. You might want to post this over there. Could you let us know what FOTAKill does? Does it work regardless of phone/carrier?
Kernal: ROM-provided
Recovery: TWRP v2.7.0.0
Baseband: N900PVPECNC5

Asus Eee Pad Transformer (TF101)
ROM: [4.4.2] [ KatKiss #023c ] [Stable]
The Following User Says Thank You to topherk For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rocket321
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by topherk View Post
CNexus created a really good sticky guide to talk about OTAs. You might want to post this over there. Could you let us know what FOTAKill does? Does it work regardless of phone/carrier?
I expect it will work on other carriers/phones but only speak for devices I personally test it on.

The apk works by overriding the built in android OTA service. It has traditionally been included in Gapps packages as a way to disable carrier updates on AOSP roms but works just as well on stock based roms.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to rocket321 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

EVObastard
Old
(Last edited by EVObastard; 26th April 2013 at 08:19 PM.)
Thanks Meter 197
I must be doing something wrong. I am unable to move the file, I keep getting "file is read only"

Update: I found that if you click on the downloaded apk that it installs itself in the correct folder however it still did not work for me.

I am on the DaRTHSTAULKER ROM S3 vX
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-02-23-22-05-58.jpg
Views:	1388
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	1914304

CNexus
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 13556

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVObastard View Post
I must be doing something wrong. I am unable to move the file, I keep getting "file is read only"

Update: I found that if you click on the downloaded apk that it installs itself in the correct folder however it still did not work for me.

I am on the DaRTHSTAULKER ROM S3 vX
Attachment 1914304
You need to mount /system as RW
If your file manager does not give you the option to do so, go into a terminal and type the following:
Code:
mount -o remount,rw /system
The app needs to installed as a system app, if you simply install it by selecting it, it will be installed as a user app. Uninstall, mount system as ready write, and copy it to /system/app
Sign up for the new Copy file storage service with this link and get both of us an extra 5 GB!
Or sign up for Dropbox with this link and we can both grab some extra storage!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CNexus For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rocket321
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 461
That's correct, if you just click it and install like a normal app it won't work because it needs to be installed as a system app.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to rocket321 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

EVObastard
Old
(Last edited by EVObastard; 28th April 2013 at 05:28 PM.)
Thanks Meter 197
So do I move the hole file or extract the app then move that?
NM I noticed it's a .apk file
Ok, that worked it's now in my app list, thank you hopefully this does it.

Sprint GS3 Rooted, DaRTHSTAULKER X

EVObastard
Old
Thanks Meter 197
Woohoo, it's been 4 hours or so and no notification, thank you thank you thank you.

Sprint GS3 Rooted, DaRTHSTAULKER X
Sent from the future.

CNexus
Old
(Last edited by CNexus; 29th April 2013 at 04:48 AM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 13556

DONATE TO ME
Ok so I took a look inside the apk and heres how it works
  • App gets triggered when: Google Services state is changed; Android device checks in the the Google servers; and when Android device finishes booting (BOOT_COMPLETE)
  • If there is, it gets the info from the Google Services Framework intent (url, time, etc), logs it, and then cancels the notification
  • Sets the link to be empty (" ") and overrides the GSF notification, and then clears the notification
  • Removes the notification and OTA data from the Google Services Framework database

Attached is a universal flashable (meaning, for any Android device) that puts FOTAKill.apk into your /system/app.

EDIT: File pulled for the moment...
Sign up for the new Copy file storage service with this link and get both of us an extra 5 GB!
Or sign up for Dropbox with this link and we can both grab some extra storage!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CNexus For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

EVObastard
Old
Thanks Meter 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNexus View Post
Ok so I took a look inside the apk and heres how it works
  • App gets triggered when: Google Services state is changed; Android device checks in the the Google servers; and when Android device finishes booting (BOOT_COMPLETE)
  • If there is, it gets the info from the Google Services Framework intent (url, time, etc), logs it, and then cancels the notification
  • Sets the link to be empty (" ") and overrides the GSF notification, and then clears the notification
  • Removes the notification and OTA data from the Google Services Framework database

Attached is a universal flashable (meaning, for any Android device) that puts FOTAKill.apk into your /system/app.

EDIT: File pulled for the moment...
This is great, I am standing by. Since I did it the other way should I redo it this way? (I would guess no) Also I was going to ask if it worked for my wife's E4GT but sounds like this new one you are making will. TIA

The Following User Says Thank You to EVObastard For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]