Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,360 Members 53,467 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Fix for build quality issues.

Tip us?

timeToy
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 178
Default Fix for build quality issues.

I just received my HTC One developer edition, and like others, there are some build quality issues, most notably the screen is not lined up with the rest of the front of the phone (ie, you can feel the screen glass grabbing your finger when you swipe down to pull the notifications panel)

It was not too bad of an issue when comparing to others from YouTube, also I bought the phone from HTC, so there is no way for me to exchange it at AT&T.

So I decided to fix it.

- Heat up the screen with a heat gun on low or a hair dryer on high. Make sure you keep on moving the heat source in figure 8 and keep the heat source around 10 inches away from the screen. Do this for around 5 minutes, the phone needs to be hot, uncomfortable to hold, but still you should be able to hold it with your bare hands.
- Protect the screen and back of the phone. Clamp the top of the screen. Wait for the phone to cool. Release the clamps.

This worked wonderfully for me, the screen is now flush with the body, I can't feel it when I run my finger on the edge between the screen and the body.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to timeToy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jcracken
Old
Thanks Meter 124

DONATE TO ME
I'm going to have to try this--I didn't want to send my phone back to AT&T because that would be a hassle but at the same time I really hated how i could feel the little lip every time I pulled down the notification shade.
Samsung Galaxy S II SGH-i777
Probably using my Nexus 7 right now
AT&T HTC One

HELLO YES WAT IS PHONE

PapaRhino
Old
Thanks Meter 61
Thank god I don't have this issue, this is way too crazy of a fix for me O_O
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PapaRhino For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rockd0gg
Old
Thanks Meter 50
Good fix thanks for posting. This is what ifixit actually does to remove the screen. Hot air melts the glue so you can take off the screen or adjust it.

A sidenote: If you heat the phone up too much the battery degrades so be careful.
My current devices: HTC HD2 (NexusHD2-ICS-CM9-HWA V2.9a) /// HTC One Dev Edition (Stock HTC 1.29.1540.16)

HTC One
[Hardware Info] MHL on the HTC One
[NANDROID] HTC One Developer Edition (Untouched Stock 1.29.1540.3)

bhagiratha
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Too bad there wasn't an easy fix like yours to my dev edition defect. No way to solve bleed issues apart from sending it back for a replacement.

Good for you. Self-help never hurts. Cheers!

https://picasaweb.google.com/1006937...2/HTCOneM7_dev

inselfyoga
Xperia Z2_D6503 [White]
Stock ROM

Carrier: Straight Talk

[URL="http://inselfyoga.com/index.php/[/URL]

beforedenied
Old
Thanks Meter 65
This isn't a fix for all build quality issues.. one fix for the gap inbetween bezel and speaker grills is put a TPU case on it. It will squeeze it together and make the gap go away.

Sent from my HTC One using xda premium
AT&T HTC One M7
[ROM] TrickDroid 5.2.1 | Sense 5.0 | AROMA | APM | EQS | Tweaks|
The Following User Says Thank You to beforedenied For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

fineazbro
Old
Thanks Meter 29
well im on my second one right now you can feel the screen glass grabbing your finger when you swipe down to pull the notifications panel on both of them i don't even know if i should exchange again, but it feel like the screen is about to cut my finger, when swiping down its really anoying

nugzo
Old
(Last edited by nugzo; 26th April 2013 at 05:10 AM.)
Thanks Meter 565
I take it hose clamps are pretty strong? seems like they'd have to be to squish that glass back down. Dont know if my walmart plastic clamp kit will do it Thanks for sharing
Current Devices...
AT&T HTC One 64GB
AT&T HTC One X+
AT&T HTC One (M7) 64GB
AT&T HTC One (M8) 32GB + 64GB SD

Hunt3r.j2
Old
Thanks Meter 200
...This is a rather extreme fix.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hunt3r.j2 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

cachookaman
Old
Thanks Meter 36
i just pressed mine in really hard with my hands