2A charger

Search This thread

im_high_tech

Apr 26, 2011
So I download that app, and no matter what I do with my settings, I cannot get my phone to charger faster than about 550mAh. I am currently running at 384MHz CPU, 200MHz GPU, and Force Charge (On/Off), and 50mV undervolt. With the phone just laying there (screen on 65% battery), as I stare it currently saying +529mA (+23.00% /h).

I just tried playing a game, with those same exact settings and it stated charging at +217mah.

May Arno

Jul 5, 2012
Download the Ampere app from Google Play and see it for yourself how much current your drawing from your wall charger during the charge.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gombosdev.ampere

WVvp3A8Oyvbsm-cOLWUgqibAtYi7e2tGbwP6R7haPpC0-uLGL5l712bFFaLJkqOf-w=h900

Last edited:

mpc007

Jul 8, 2013
Leiden
This thread is driving me absolutely crazy. Group one claims the M7 can't charge at more than 1A, because its configured in the kernel. Group two claims significan faster charger with use of 1.5A or 2.0A chargers (from different brands). I don't know what to believe. Is it so hard to organize a good test with rational approach and ban one of the two camps forever to the shame corner?

I own a M7 myself, and I really want it to charge faster, but it don't know what to think of all the different opinions here. I certainly don't want to buy the 10 dollar costing M8 adapter or the 30 dollar costing M8 Rapid Charger adapter if my phone still hangs at 1A.

EDIT: Also, I'm wondering what role the cable plays. Is charging with a micro usb 3 cable faster than with a usb 2 cable? Some people seem to suggest so, but wouldn't they still be limited by what the ports can offer (500 MAh for USB 2.0)??

Last edited:

mpc007

Jul 8, 2013
Leiden
So I download that app, and no matter what I do with my settings, I cannot get my phone to charger faster than about 550mAh. I am currently running at 384MHz CPU, 200MHz GPU, and Force Charge (On/Off), and 50mV undervolt. With the phone just laying there (screen on 65% battery), as I stare it currently saying +529mA (+23.00% /h).

I just tried playing a game, with those same exact settings and it stated charging at +217mah.

That isn't very strange, since your phone probably draws around 400 MAh current. That makes it a total of 1A.

bdizzle1686

Jul 28, 2014
Washington, MI
Moto Z2 Force
Moto G7
This thread is driving me absolutely crazy. Group one claims the M7 can't charge at more than 1A, because its configured in the kernel. Group two claims significan faster charger with use of 1.5A or 2.0A chargers (from different brands). I don't know what to believe. Is it so hard to organize a good test with rational approach and ban one of the two camps forever to the shame corner?

I own a M7 myself, and I really want it to charge faster, but it don't know what to think of all the different opinions here. I certainly don't want to buy the 10 dollar costing M8 adapter or the 30 dollar costing M8 Rapid Charger adapter if my phone still hangs at 1A.

EDIT: Also, I'm wondering what role the cable plays. Is charging with a micro usb 3 cable faster than with a usb 2 cable? Some people seem to suggest so, but wouldn't they still be limited by what the ports can offer (500 MAh for USB 2.0)??

Officialpl htc brand rapid charger is guaranteed by htc to charge m7 up to 45% faster than stock & I can vouch for that. After buying 1 off Amazon n seeing the difference I immediately ordered 2 more

That isn't very strange, since your phone probably draws around 400 MAh current. That makes it a total of 1A.

mpc007

Jul 8, 2013
Leiden
You sure you aren't confused with the M8? Because the Rapid Charger 2.0 was originally invented for that model ;)

lawyerone

Nov 5, 2013
I don't know wether if it's just my standard HTC's charger beeing a defect, or if charging with higher current charger may charge my phone charger.

I've a HTC M7's stock charger, in 1 A. And it charge quite slow, like expect 3 hour of charge.
Using a 2A and 2.1A charger (from samsung's note line and apple's ipad respectively) charge it faster, and it take only around 2 hour to charge.

Definitely it's not a placebo effect as mentioned before, although i never timed the 2A and 2.1A and compare each of them, but definitely charging with a 2A charger charge faster than the 1A charger provided by HTC.

Please note, that I don't have another 1A or 1.5A charger so i cant really do a comparison with another 1A charger here.

Btw, i dont know wether if it's just my phone, but I believe that my M7 tend to get hot while charging (turned on). It happen with 0.7A (or 0.8 from Blackberry) charger and the HTC 1A charger. And if it get hot, it charge even slower. Anyone experiencing the same problem?

schriss

Feb 6, 2006
Dublin

There is an option to enable/disable fast charging in many custom ROMs/Kernels.
There is HTC original m7 charger which is 1.5A, it is on Amazon its TC-P900, 1.5A.
Cable does make a difference because if you use cheap/thin cable, current will be limited. I bought a usb current/voltage meter just to try and test my different usb cables accumulated over years and throw away those that caused fall back to low current.

Recently I bought a charger that has VoltIQ ports as well as 1 Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0 port, but I didn't test it yet. Maybe one of the ports will give me 1.5A just like on original charger, but I don't care. I prefer battery to stay cool rather than boil.

madyotto

Jul 22, 2013
Really

OK you all seem to miss the vital thing
Here is the explanation

The best way I have ever heard it put is like this

Where current is water

Imagine a water barrel that is being filled up at a rate of 1 liter an hour

The barrel has a over flow pipe aka battery if this pipe is only wide enough for half a litre an hour and you turn the tap filling the barrel to 10 litre an hour how much is the over flow receiving still half a litre

So here is the big if and but

If you are using a 2.1a 5.1v ipad charger
Whilst gaming you have the CPU GPU and battery making heat and thus degrading Battery life and performance

If you turn the m7 off or have all apps closed and phone idle then this is far better than gaming with the stock m7 charger

As for comments about voltage of other chargers are irrelevant as the circuit in the phone limits voltage with a simple I/0 circuit if voltage is either under or over pre set parameters it will do nothing as it won't allow any flow of current at all

Unless lots bigger

How is the current limited
Self explanatory as the charger states what it is built to supply

Conclusion is simple amps are limited by the charger plug or USB port
Voltage is not limited but safe gaurded so if your phone registers a charge with a 5.3v plug then it is fine as long as you use it sensibly

Apps are highly unreliable as they are a close prediction at best

And don't correctly include what is used by the phone

Also some current will be being stored all the time in capacitors
Fact the m7 charges quicker with higher ampage application measuring ampage will not be accurate

The only accurate way is to time it from empty turned off

And blind people who say HTC know best do not understand the workings of any multinational corporation

By holding the fast charge back widens the gap between the m7 and m8 meaning more people will go and buy the m8 fast charger or even better the m8

Ayune

Aug 10, 2012
Karachi
Standard charger VS 2A

Ok guys after reading the thread, I've realized that using a 2amp charger will charge my HTC one (m7) faster but at the same time reduce battery life.

I'm using HTC ONE (M7) since 2 yrs now and my problem is that using the stock 1A charger, my phone charges very very very slowly....like really really really slow. Even the screen displays..."full charge in 20 hours" or so. I thought maybe the charger is faulty and bought a new stock charger but the problem stays.

If I charge at 20% battery...in six hours it goes to max 50 or 60% on Extreme Power Saving mode. However using a 2A charger lessens the charging time to around 3.5 hours. I have tried resetting the charging logic but to no avail. Is it a poor battery? After fully charged, the battery lasts for almost 18 to 20 hrs though. Please help!

Last edited:

sp5it

May 9, 2010
Wolomin
OnePlus 8
Ok guys after reading the thread, I've realized that using a 2amp charger will charge my HTC one (m7) faster but at the same time reduce battery life.
It is kinda bs for me.
I own two M7's. Also a few chargers, from 1A up to 4A
Max current M7 consumes during charge is 1A no matter which charger I use. It is defined by phone charging circuit not the charger.

The key is good cable. Stock usb cable is garbage.
@1A load voltage drops from 5V to 4.53V and max current flow is 0.8A - that is a reason of slow charge.
On "good" USB cable I have 4.95V and 1A constant.
Mike

Ayune

Aug 10, 2012
Karachi
Problem solved

I found an old cable lying in my car, used it with the standard (stock) charger and bingo! The phone charges right! Thanks for the advice. :)

Saf98

Aug 7, 2013
??<
It is kinda bs for me.
Max current M7 consumes during charge is 1A no matter which charger I use. It is defined by phone charging circuit not the charger.

@1A load voltage drops from 5V to 4.53V and max current flow is 0.8A - that is a reason of slow charge.
Mike
I have a 2ft Juicebitz cable which is quite thick and charges good i wouldnt say fast because i still need to replace my battery soon.

Sent from my HTC One using XDA-Developers mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    here's a source. HTC engineers decided to include the charger they did.

Wow, aren't you a helpful one. There is much more to the H/W selection than what the charging circuit is capable of... Chargers don't "force" a current on the battery. The charging circuit draws what it needs from a charger, assuming it can supply what is drawn. A well designed charging circuit will draw no more than what the battery is capable of without damage. The only factor is heat, which should be accounted for at a nominal level. If heat was't properly accounted for, or they short changed the charging circuit (like the charger) there could be an issue long term.

As an application side note, I had a 2 or 2.1A charger on my Atrix 4G for the 2+ years I owned it and still on the original battery that will last me an 18hr day. You don't do anyone favors talking about stuff you don't know anything about.
    I would not recommend using tablet chargers like that. Although it does speed up charging I think you might also wear out your battery quicker.

That's not right. The charging speed is limited by the battery and their charging managemend, not by the charger. If the battery management is configured at 1A it is charging with 1A even if you use a 2A charger.

If you can charge the HTC One with a bigger charger faster than it is not negative for the battery because it's allowed by the battery management. But I don't think, that it is really faster. I will test it for myself later with the 2A Charger from the ipad.
    It is kinda bs for me.

Mike
    I would not recommend using tablet chargers like that. Although it does speed up charging I think you might also wear out your battery quicker.

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app

I do know where this is coming from but just isn't the case anymore. All batteries made for cells phones in the last 2 years have smart charging chips in them. Meaning they can not overcharge, charge too fast, or discharge too much. These batteries have tech built in that could charge them in about a hour. People think this was disabled to help prolong the life of the battery. This is also false. Fast charging does have a slightly negative effect but we are talking about 2% negative. So if the battery would have went through 2000 charge cycles normally than with a fast charge it would only last around 1180 charge cycles. It's a non difference. It is the reason people have been saying that the fast charge feature is disabled but they have no idea and it sounds good so the community here has decided it to be true.

Now technically it should not matter what amp charger we plug in as the phone should only take a certain amount. Now I know this is false as I also use the 2amp Touchpad charger and can confirm it does charge around 30% faster.
    There are different cables that can be purchased that essentially have just the positive and negative connections in use. This removes the control connections that allow the phone to regulate the amount of power so it allows the device to charge at a faster rate.

I have used these cables for years on many devices and have never had a problem but it is worth noting that I only use them sparingly and the vast majority of the time I use the standard chargers that come with the devices.

MG