Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,424 Members 35,995 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

The Galaxy S4 connectivity thread - MHL/USB OTG/BT/Gamepads and more!

Tip us?

NZtechfreak
Old
(Last edited by NZtechfreak; 25th May 2013 at 01:18 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 931
Default The Galaxy S4 connectivity thread - MHL/USB OTG/BT/Gamepads and more!

Hi everyone,

Thought I would start a thread about what things people are using with their S4s.

A few findings of mine from today:
  • The Smart Dock works with the S4.
  • The S3/Note 2 MHL adapters definitely work
  • The S4 MHL 2.0 adapter works without needing a charging input plugged in and IS outputting at 60Hz
  • USB audio working, although some DACs not working that did work with S3/Note 2 (Apex Glacier not working for me, my HeadAmp Pico and RSA Intruder are)
  • USB keyboards/mice working with the S4, as they did with the older Samsungs
  • PS3 controller working over USB OTG (although mapping seems odd, have to try it in an emulator)
  • Ditto for the Xbox 360 for Microsoft controller (which required an app on older Samsungs in order to work)
  • Interesting, tried my Logitech F310 controller with it and it works too (it does not work with any other Android handset without USB/BT Joystick Centre, but here works OOTB). The F710 probably works too in that case.
  • BT keyboard and mouse working, as expected.
  • IR blaster via the inbuilt app works great with my LG TV.
  • Logitech F710 works too.
  • MHL and USB OTG do not work together using the new MHL 2.0 adapter for the S4.
  • NTFS formatted drives still don't work on stock ROMs. Shame since my Padfone Infinity has it OOTB.
  • Moga Pro gamepad working well
  • Tried an ethernet adapter yesterday evening: no-go. Need to check its documentation again because I suspect it requires driver installation. Have order a couple of driverless ethernet adapters that are confirmed to work with several Android tablets and will give them a go when they arrive.
  • Additional info on ethernet: can pretty much definitively say ethernet is not working I think. Tried today with a new adapter (that works perfectly on the Padfone Infinity in phone and pad modes, since I tried that first), does not work with S4 with or without an externally powered USB hub.

Will chime in with more when I have a chance to try more stuff out.
Twitter: @nztechfreak
Blogs: androidnz.net, blog.clove.co.uk
Facebook: http://goo.gl/baZHQ

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to NZtechfreak For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

testinguser
Old
Thanks Meter 16
On the s4 MHL adapter: I find it amazing that the hdmi can carry plenty of juice to keep the s4 and the MHL adapter topped up on power. The knock off on sale at amazon still says to use external power.

Have you tried miracast yet?
BT Keyboard/mouse?

delucz
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Hi, could someone please tell me if the Galaxy S4 and the new MHL 2.0 adapter allow HDMI and USB OTG at the same time using the micro usb port on the MHL 2.0 adapter? Very keen to know! Cheers!

NZtechfreak
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by testinguser View Post
On the s4 MHL adapter: I find it amazing that the hdmi can carry plenty of juice to keep the s4 and the MHL adapter topped up on power. The knock off on sale at amazon still says to use external power.

Have you tried miracast yet?
BT Keyboard/mouse?
First post updated, BT keyboard and mouse working as expected.

Not tried miracast yet.

IR blaster works a treat with my LG TV.

Definitely works without power with the S4, although it doesn't charge the phone at all used like that (unless of course you have an MHL-capable TV, I don't).

delucz
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Hi NZtechfreak if you could test the MHL 2.0 adapter and USB OTG at the same time that would be great

NZtechfreak
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by delucz View Post
Hi NZtechfreak if you could test the MHL 2.0 adapter and USB OTG at the same time that would be great
As noted above, doesn't work. Only way to do that simultaneously is still the Smart Dock.

The Following User Says Thank You to NZtechfreak For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

maxnik1
Old
Thanks Meter 18
I have a couple of questions.

1) Does the smart dock outputs 60Hz or this is achievable only with the mhl 2.0 adapter?

2) Is 60Hz mode noticeably better?

3) Any slowdowns or delays, while mirroring the display?

Thanks in advance.

NZtechfreak
Old
(Last edited by NZtechfreak; 9th May 2013 at 11:44 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxnik1 View Post
I have a couple of questions.

1) Does the smart dock outputs 60Hz or this is achievable only with the mhl 2.0 adapter?

2) Is 60Hz mode noticeably better?

3) Any slowdowns or delays, while mirroring the display?

Thanks in advance.
I need to spend more time with it to answer those, will definitely update soon.

Regarding slowdowns - found it pretty smooth, which was a relief because the Xperia Z lagged horribly over MHL.

UPDATE:

1) Does the smart dock outputs 60Hz or this is achievable only with the mhl 2.0 adapter? Only the MHL 2.0 adapter can do 60Hz.

2) Is 60Hz mode noticeably better? Yes, compared them directly today, found scrolling webpages and so forth noticeably smoother on MHL 2.0.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NZtechfreak For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

NZtechfreak
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 931
Used a Moga Pro controller with my S4 to play some GTA while mirroring over MHL 2.0, nice! Still playing around with the Moga, but enjoying so far.

ChronoReverse
Old
(Last edited by ChronoReverse; 9th May 2013 at 03:55 PM.)
Thanks Meter 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZtechfreak View Post
  • MHL and USB OTG do not work together using the new MHL 2.0 adapter for the S4.
[edit]Disappointing to hear =(