Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,635 Members 38,706 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Huge screen issue with i9505

Tip us?

bsch3r
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Huge screen issue with i9505

I bought an i9505 today. I noticed very bad scrolling artifacts especially on a black background. This can be best seen when scrolling up and down in a menue in the preferences. The white letters on black background smear alot. This effect gets worse when turning brightness down. The responsiveness of the s4 display seem quite bad. The s3, which i also own does a whole lot better in this regard.
Can other S4 owners confirm this problem? Has the octa the same problem? Main reason i bought this phone was the oled display. I am quite dissapointed.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

fade2green514
Old
Thanks Meter 53
something is definitely wrong with it. exchange it immediately in case something is wrong with the second one.

Obagleyfreer
Old
Thanks Meter 778
Mine does it too. Most noticeable scrolling through contacts.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using XDA Premium HD app
GT-I9505

bsch3r
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
So if I am not the only one experiencing this it seems to be an inherent problem of the new amoled. In theory amoled has a very fast response time. Maybe it has to do with the fact that the s4 displays true black i.e. the screen is absolutely black in black areas of the screen. The s3 does not turn the pixels completely off, it has blacker blacks than lcd but no absolute blacks like the s4. I am sure Samsung did this for a reason in th s3, maybe to avoid the problem we are experiencing with the s4. I wonder why none of the reviews reports about this issue.

jlegrange
Old
Thanks Meter 0

DONATE TO ME
Mine doesn't smear when scrolling unless you mean if you scroll fast it looks smeared? I put that down to scrolling quicker than my eyes can focus if yours is smearing when moving slowly then I'd swap it!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using XDA Premium HD app

bsch3r
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
The effect can be best seen on black background with brightness set to low. For example when scrolling in preferences watch the horizontal grey sepparation lines. When scrolling slowly the almost dissapear on my phone. So maybe one should not call it smearing but there clearly visible moving arifacts on my phone.

JmJ17
Old
Thanks Meter 31
I have the same problem. It is annoying in black backgrounds whith grey letters.

AVF Jay
Old
Thanks Meter 4
I noticed this straight away and started a thread here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2252445 (5 pages long already)

My S3 does not suffer with this problem at all.

The screen is a step down apart from the blacks which are much deeper.

suadion
Old
Thanks Meter 6
My issue: the red subpixels stay on, this is the SGS4 and SGS2 viewing the same 100% black image.

The effect is a bit more dramatic on these pics than real life, to get a proper exposure. The red pixels are only at low intensity, but it's still easily noticeable.

Xander123
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Hi.
I had the same problem with I9505OXAAMDE firmware. I update firmware to I9505OXAAMDM and subpixels are ok. Now my screen is black, but now i have smearing in setup menu and contact.
I hope that in the future fix this problem.

regards