Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

HOW TO: Free Unlock of Samsung Galaxy S Relay 4G - At your own risk!

OP theZenman

29th April 2013, 08:43 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 17
 
7 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2010
Hey guys. So, first of all, we've got our own forum! I don't know when it happened, as I wasn't really paying attention after the first few...months...but here we are!

Anyway, some of you may know about the free unlock method posted by owl74 in the Note II forum (link: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=34661189, has screenshots). This turned out to work for the SGSIII, the SGSII and SGSII Skyrocket. Well this post is to verify that IT WORKS FOR THE RELAY 4G TOO!

Before proceeding: do this at your own risk. There is no guarantee it will work for you. You MUST be running a stock ROM with a stock modem. I am using the UVMA2 stock ROM with the UVMA2 modem on T-Mobile USA.

Read ALL directions first before trying this out.

This was ONLY tested on MY phone, with the UVMA2 update and modem, on T-Mobile USA.

Without further ado, here are the complete steps toward unlocking the Relay 4G (Thanks again to OP owl47):
*NOTE:* Never use the "back" button. There is an option when pressing the menu button to go back.
  1. First, dial
    Code:
    *#197328640#
    in the dialer app
  2. Hit option [1] UMTS
  3. Hit option [1] DEBUG SCREEN
  4. Hit option [8] PHONE CONTROL
  5. Hit option [6] NETWORK LOCK
  6. Hit option [3] PERSO SHA256 OFF
  7. WAIT exactly 30 seconds.
  8. Hit the menu button and select the "Back" option.
  9. Hit option [4] NW LOCK NV DATA INITIALLIZ
  10. WAIT exactly 60 seconds
  11. There will be no prompt, but reboot your phone. It should now be unlocked.

Verify that your phone is unlocked by using a SIM card from another network. I tested it using my wife's AT&T SIM card and it connected successfully.

The prompts and the menu for the Relay 4G is a bit different from the other phones, but the screenshots provided in the original link above should serve as a rough guide for what you might see. I personally never saw the 'PERSO_NV_INIT is SUCCESSFUL' prompt, but it still worked for me.

Your mileage may vary. If someone is brave enough to give it a try on earlier versions of stock ROMs, be my guest.

For a rooted UVMA2 rom, gee one posted a link to his FTP site where he is hosting a copy of the rooted rom (should be CWM flashable):
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...0#post38623790

Post your success/failure below!
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to theZenman For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th April 2013, 09:58 PM   |  #2  
gtmaster303's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 407
 
1,450 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2010
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by theZenman

Hey guys. So, first of all, we've got our own forum! I don't know when it happened, as I wasn't really paying attention after the first few...months...but here we are!

Anyway, some of you may know about the free unlock method posted by owl74 in the Note II forum (link: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=34661189, has screenshots). This turned out to work for the SGSIII, the SGSII and SGSII Skyrocket. Well this post is to verify that IT WORKS FOR THE RELAY 4G TOO!

Before proceeding: do this at your own risk. There is no guarantee it will work for you. You MUST be running a stock ROM with a stock modem. I am using the UVMA2 stock ROM with the UVMA2 modem on T-Mobile USA.

Read ALL directions first before trying this out.

This was ONLY tested on MY phone, with the UVMA2 update and modem, on T-Mobile USA.

Without further ado, here are the complete steps toward unlocking the Relay 4G (Thanks again to OP owl47):
*NOTE:* Never use the "back" button. There is an option when pressing the menu button to go back.

  1. First, dial
    Code:
    *#197328640#
    in the dialer app
  2. Hit option [1] UMTS
  3. Hit option [1] DEBUG SCREEN
  4. Hit option [8] PHONE CONTROL
  5. Hit option [6] NETWORK LOCK
  6. Hit option [3] PERSO SHA256 OFF
  7. WAIT exactly 30 seconds.
  8. Hit the menu button and select the "Back" option.
  9. Hit option [4] NW LOCK NV DATA INITIALLIZ
  10. WAIT exactly 60 seconds
  11. There will be no prompt, but reboot your phone. It should now be unlocked.

Verify that your phone is unlocked by using a SIM card from another network. I tested it using my wife's AT&T SIM card and it connected successfully.

The prompts and the menu for the Relay 4G is a bit different from the other phones, but the screenshots provided in the original link above should serve as a rough guide for what you might see. I personally never saw the 'PERSO_NV_INIT is SUCCESSFUL' prompt, but it still worked for me.

Your mileage may vary. If someone is brave enough to give it a try on earlier versions of stock ROMs, be my guest.

For a rooted UVMA2 rom, gee one posted a link to his FTP site where he is hosting a copy of the rooted rom (should be CWM flashable):
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...0#post38623790

Post your success/failure below!

Already covered...
Check nocturin's portal thread. Tons of stuff there, including this
30th April 2013, 10:05 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 17
 
7 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtmaster303

Already covered...
Check nocturin's portal thread. Tons of stuff there, including this

Whoops, you're right. I searched the forums and couldn't find anything about "unlocking" that wasn't talking about screen unlocking.

I guess this is what happens when you go for months without an organized forum and people are just cramming everything into mammoth threads...
15th May 2013, 09:00 PM   |  #4  
Member
Flag Sömmerda
Thanks Meter: 7
 
38 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2012
More
Hi erveryone,

I am thinking about buying the Galaxy Relay, since my old phone broke, but because I live in Europe I'd have to import it. Is there any way (I could not find any using the search function) to SIM-unlock this phone without being on a t-mobile network?
15th May 2013, 09:20 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 17
 
7 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by _RaZziel_

Hi erveryone,

I am thinking about buying the Galaxy Relay, since my old phone broke, but because I live in Europe I'd have to import it. Is there any way (I could not find any using the search function) to SIM-unlock this phone without being on a t-mobile network?

As far as I know, sure. I had an AT&T SIM in there while I was unlocking it. After I rebooted, it connected to the network. I don't think you need to start connected to the T-Mobile network or anything.
The Following User Says Thank You to theZenman For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th May 2013, 09:54 PM   |  #6  
Member
Flag OSLO
Thanks Meter: 2
 
32 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by _RaZziel_

I am thinking about buying the Galaxy Relay, since my old phone broke, but because I live in Europe I'd have to import it. Is there any way (I could not find any using the search function) to SIM-unlock this phone without being on a t-mobile network?

When you follow the above procedure you don't need to have a SIM card in the phone, you are not on T-Mobile or any other network.

I also imported my phone and unlocked it in Norway, it worked nice.
The Following User Says Thank You to raphaelcno For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th May 2013, 05:09 AM   |  #7  
kilr00y's Avatar
Member
Flag Bayreuth
Thanks Meter: 35
 
72 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2010
More
i bought an unlock code from an us site. seemed to be the easiest and fastest way to me.

never needed another simcard for the procedure than my T-Mobile Germany. And yes, it's specifically locked to T-Mobile USA.
A TM simcard from another country just gets rejected like any other provider's card.
16th May 2013, 11:58 AM   |  #8  
dillalade's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Richmond
Thanks Meter: 194
 
1,054 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2009
This is a very handy tip for sim unlock.

I bought the phone for my cousin as he was jealous of my Relay.
Forgot about the unlock needed as neither of us or on Tmobile here in London. Happily saw this thread. 1, 2, 3 job done, for freeeee.

Thank you for finding and sharing this procedure.

:thumbup:

Sent from my SGH-T699 using xda app-developers app
3rd June 2013, 01:25 PM   |  #9  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
8 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2013
Unlocking on Jelly Bean
Quote:
Originally Posted by theZenman

Hey guys. So, first of all, we've got our own forum! I don't know when it happened, as I wasn't really paying attention after the first few...months...but here we are!

Anyway, some of you may know about the free unlock method posted by owl74 in the Note II forum (link: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=34661189, has screenshots). This turned out to work for the SGSIII, the SGSII and SGSII Skyrocket. Well this post is to verify that IT WORKS FOR THE RELAY 4G TOO!

Before proceeding: do this at your own risk. There is no guarantee it will work for you. You MUST be running a stock ROM with a stock modem. I am using the UVMA2 stock ROM with the UVMA2 modem on T-Mobile USA.

Read ALL directions first before trying this out.

This was ONLY tested on MY phone, with the UVMA2 update and modem, on T-Mobile USA.

Without further ado, here are the complete steps toward unlocking the Relay 4G (Thanks again to OP owl47):
*NOTE:* Never use the "back" button. There is an option when pressing the menu button to go back.

  1. First, dial
    Code:
    *#197328640#
    in the dialer app
  2. Hit option [1] UMTS
  3. Hit option [1] DEBUG SCREEN
  4. Hit option [8] PHONE CONTROL
  5. Hit option [6] NETWORK LOCK
  6. Hit option [3] PERSO SHA256 OFF
  7. WAIT exactly 30 seconds.
  8. Hit the menu button and select the "Back" option.
  9. Hit option [4] NW LOCK NV DATA INITIALLIZ
  10. WAIT exactly 60 seconds
  11. There will be no prompt, but reboot your phone. It should now be unlocked.

Verify that your phone is unlocked by using a SIM card from another network. I tested it using my wife's AT&T SIM card and it connected successfully.

The prompts and the menu for the Relay 4G is a bit different from the other phones, but the screenshots provided in the original link above should serve as a rough guide for what you might see. I personally never saw the 'PERSO_NV_INIT is SUCCESSFUL' prompt, but it still worked for me.

Your mileage may vary. If someone is brave enough to give it a try on earlier versions of stock ROMs, be my guest.

For a rooted UVMA2 rom, gee one posted a link to his FTP site where he is hosting a copy of the rooted rom (should be CWM flashable):
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...0#post38623790

Post your success/failure below!

I wanted to ask if I updated the phone to the jelly bean version before I unlock then I tried to unlock the phone will it work?
6th June 2013, 02:46 AM   |  #10  
Jax184's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Vancouver
Thanks Meter: 158
 
284 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2007
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by NexusWarp

I wanted to ask if I updated the phone to the jelly bean version before I unlock then I tried to unlock the phone will it work?

I only tried unlocking before the upgrade. If you unlock before, it remains unlocked after the update. Don't know what happens if you try it after.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes