5,814,562 Members 53,814 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

HOW TO: Free Unlock of Samsung Galaxy S Relay 4G - At your own risk!

Tip us?

theZenman
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
Thumbs up HOW TO: Free Unlock of Samsung Galaxy S Relay 4G - At your own risk!

Hey guys. So, first of all, we've got our own forum! I don't know when it happened, as I wasn't really paying attention after the first few...months...but here we are!

Anyway, some of you may know about the free unlock method posted by owl74 in the Note II forum (link: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=34661189, has screenshots). This turned out to work for the SGSIII, the SGSII and SGSII Skyrocket. Well this post is to verify that IT WORKS FOR THE RELAY 4G TOO!

Before proceeding: do this at your own risk. There is no guarantee it will work for you. You MUST be running a stock ROM with a stock modem. I am using the UVMA2 stock ROM with the UVMA2 modem on T-Mobile USA.

Read ALL directions first before trying this out.

This was ONLY tested on MY phone, with the UVMA2 update and modem, on T-Mobile USA.

Without further ado, here are the complete steps toward unlocking the Relay 4G (Thanks again to OP owl47):
*NOTE:* Never use the "back" button. There is an option when pressing the menu button to go back.
  1. First, dial
    Code:
    *#197328640#
    in the dialer app
  2. Hit option [1] UMTS
  3. Hit option [1] DEBUG SCREEN
  4. Hit option [8] PHONE CONTROL
  5. Hit option [6] NETWORK LOCK
  6. Hit option [3] PERSO SHA256 OFF
  7. WAIT exactly 30 seconds.
  8. Hit the menu button and select the "Back" option.
  9. Hit option [4] NW LOCK NV DATA INITIALLIZ
  10. WAIT exactly 60 seconds
  11. There will be no prompt, but reboot your phone. It should now be unlocked.

Verify that your phone is unlocked by using a SIM card from another network. I tested it using my wife's AT&T SIM card and it connected successfully.

The prompts and the menu for the Relay 4G is a bit different from the other phones, but the screenshots provided in the original link above should serve as a rough guide for what you might see. I personally never saw the 'PERSO_NV_INIT is SUCCESSFUL' prompt, but it still worked for me.

Your mileage may vary. If someone is brave enough to give it a try on earlier versions of stock ROMs, be my guest.

For a rooted UVMA2 rom, gee one posted a link to his FTP site where he is hosting a copy of the rooted rom (should be CWM flashable):
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...0#post38623790

Post your success/failure below!
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to theZenman For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

gtmaster303
Old
Thanks Meter 406

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by theZenman View Post
Hey guys. So, first of all, we've got our own forum! I don't know when it happened, as I wasn't really paying attention after the first few...months...but here we are!

Anyway, some of you may know about the free unlock method posted by owl74 in the Note II forum (link: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=34661189, has screenshots). This turned out to work for the SGSIII, the SGSII and SGSII Skyrocket. Well this post is to verify that IT WORKS FOR THE RELAY 4G TOO!

Before proceeding: do this at your own risk. There is no guarantee it will work for you. You MUST be running a stock ROM with a stock modem. I am using the UVMA2 stock ROM with the UVMA2 modem on T-Mobile USA.

This was ONLY tested on MY phone, with the UVMA2 update and modem, on T-Mobile USA.

Without further ado, here are the complete steps toward unlocking the Relay 4G (Thanks again to OP owl47):
*NOTE:* Never use the "back" button. There is an option when pressing the menu button to go back.
  1. First, dial
    Code:
    *#197328640#
    in the dialer app
  2. Hit option [1] UMTS

Verify that your phone is unlocked by using a SIM card from another network. I tested it using my wife's AT&T SIM card and it connected successfully.

The prompts and the menu for the Relay 4G is a bit different from the other phones, but the screenshots provided in the original link above should serve as a rough guide for what you might see. I personally never saw the 'PERSO_NV_INIT is SUCCESSFUL' prompt, but it still worked for me.

Your mileage may vary. If someone is brave enough to give it a try on earlier versions of stock ROMs, be my guest.

For a rooted UVMA2 rom, gee one posted a link to his FTP site where he is hosting a copy of the rooted rom (should be CWM flashable):

Already covered...
Check nocturin's portal thread. Tons of stuff there, including this
Androids since September 2010
Cliq, 3G Slide, G2, 4G Slide, Captivate Glide, Galaxy S Relay, Droid Razr M

theZenman
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtmaster303 View Post
Already covered...
Check nocturin's portal thread. Tons of stuff there, including this
Whoops, you're right. I searched the forums and couldn't find anything about "unlocking" that wasn't talking about screen unlocking.

I guess this is what happens when you go for months without an organized forum and people are just cramming everything into mammoth threads...

_RaZziel_
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Hi erveryone,

I am thinking about buying the Galaxy Relay, since my old phone broke, but because I live in Europe I'd have to import it. Is there any way (I could not find any using the search function) to SIM-unlock this phone without being on a t-mobile network?

theZenman
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by _RaZziel_ View Post
Hi erveryone,

I am thinking about buying the Galaxy Relay, since my old phone broke, but because I live in Europe I'd have to import it. Is there any way (I could not find any using the search function) to SIM-unlock this phone without being on a t-mobile network?
As far as I know, sure. I had an AT&T SIM in there while I was unlocking it. After I rebooted, it connected to the network. I don't think you need to start connected to the T-Mobile network or anything.
The Following User Says Thank You to theZenman For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

raphaelcno
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by _RaZziel_ View Post
When you follow the above procedure you don't need to have a SIM card in the phone, you are not on T-Mobile or any other network.

I also imported my phone and unlocked it in Norway, it worked nice.
The Following User Says Thank You to raphaelcno For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kilr00y
Old
Thanks Meter 35
i bought an unlock code from an us site. seemed to be the easiest and fastest way to me.

never needed another simcard for the procedure than my T-Mobile Germany. And yes, it's specifically locked to T-Mobile USA.
A TM simcard from another country just gets rejected like any other provider's card.

dillalade
Old
Thanks Meter 180
This is a very handy tip for sim unlock.

I bought the phone for my cousin as he was jealous of my Relay.
Forgot about the unlock needed as neither of us or on Tmobile here in London. Happily saw this thread. 1, 2, 3 job done, for freeeee.

Thank you for finding and sharing this procedure.

:thumbup:

Sent from my SGH-T699 using xda app-developers app

.........Device HTC Dream G1
.....Recovery RA-v1.7.0
..........Radio 2.22.28.25
.............SPL 1.33.0013d [+15mb RAM]
............ROM EzTerry's GB w/ Magpie
............MOD Custom MTD Partition : system 90.0M // data ~115M // cache 1.5M
...MicroSDHC fat32 12.5gb // swap 32mb // ext 1024mb [Class 6]

NexusWarp
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Unlocking on Jelly Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by theZenman View Post

1. First, dial
    Code:
    *#197328640#
    in the dialer app
  2. Hit option [1] UMTS

I wanted to ask if I updated the phone to the jelly bean version before I unlock then I tried to unlock the phone will it work?

Jax184
Old
Thanks Meter 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by NexusWarp View Post
I wanted to ask if I updated the phone to the jelly bean version before I unlock then I tried to unlock the phone will it work?
I only tried unlocking before the upgrade. If you unlock before, it remains unlocked after the update. Don't know what happens if you try it after.
G310->StarTAC->Voq->SGH-D407->VS6->G1->Sidekick 4G->Relay 4G
The Sidekick 4G Hardware Guide - The Relay 4G Hardware Guide