Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,786,060 Members 52,061 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Does the Metal Case Reduce Signal Strength?

Tip us?

wouterk
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Yes the case reduces the reception a bit. But not that much. I have "the other" metal case. Not the one from Proporta but I can't remember who made it.... ops:
Don't forget that reception will sometimes change depending from the place were you are. There are several places on the road were reception is bad and sometimes I can be sitting at one place and have good reception and suddenly it is almost gone . This is the providers fault :evil:
Wouter
The Following User Says Thank You to wouterk For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ph4824
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Well I went for a drive in the car today and my wife who was sat next to me rang my phone - Virgin to O2 network. I had the music on and the ring tone I set was too quiet. She rang the phone again, whilst the phone was in the metal case, and sometimes the phone would ring and other times not within a space of a few minutes or so. Upon taking the XDA out of the metal case and putting it back in the phone holder there was no problems!

It's a real shame as I like the case. I am considering taking it back now and using my leather case instead Plus, I can see the metal case getting marked very easily!

skenliv
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Im going to remake my aluminium case as i recieve it. Cut a hole får the screen and put in a plastic window.

Motorola Moto G, GB Release

Frank2
Old
Thanks Meter 8
I have made more than 40 tests with and without the metal case at several places.
I am using phonedashboard to show the signal level in %.
The metal case is ALWAYS reducing the signal level 15 to 30 digits.
In example I have placed my xda on a table without metal case and the signal level is 80%. Than I have placed the xda again with the metal case on the same place (i have marked the place) and the signal level ist 65 %.
I have made this procedure again and again to get enough data to compare.

Now I have a vaja case and no signal problems any more.

Frank

Blaze_au
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
I wonder if removing some of the case near the antenna would help...

hmm.. I think I'll just get a plastic case...

Rudegar
Old
Retired Moderator
Thanks Meter 41
where do you say that antenna is placed ?
i mean you could think that it's where it was on xda1 but
from this i cant say for sure
http://wiki.xda-developers.com/wiki/...rdwareOverview

not sure if you are talking about the external antenna connector but that would not help unless you connected an antenna to it
the antenna is inside the xda2 and is as long as the device
to 100% free it you would have to cut the case in 1/2
hhhmm ok i may be a jerk but i'm a jedi jerk like my father was before me
BTW "I can't use a skeleton arm with that"

skenliv
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Now i recieved my Aluminium Case for the XDA II. Looks nice, but its very much more bulky than i thought. And the beltclip is a big JOKE, it hangs loose and bad! And besides, there is a belt clip included with the Proporta Alu Case. Just incase you are going to place an order...

Umm, im not shure if i am gonna be satisfied with it, dont quite like it.

Motorola Moto G, GB Release

mikeaus
Old
Thanks Meter 0
One disadvantage of having an internal Phone antenna is that it is easily blocked. The aerial is inside the black plastic at the top.

If you put it in a pocket then it is important that you place it with the screen towards your body so the aerial is unobstructed for receiving calls.

When holding it during calls,it is important not to let your fingers cover the aerila if you are in a weak signal area.

Mike
Sydney Australia
Mike - Sydney Australia

mikeaus
Old
Thanks Meter 0
One disadvantage of having an internal Phone antenna is that it is easily blocked. The aerial is inside the black plastic at the top.

If you put it in a pocket then it is important that you place it with the screen towards your body so the aerial is unobstructed for receiving calls.

When holding it during calls,it is important not to let your fingers cover the aerila if you are in a weak signal area.

Mike
Sydney Australia
Mike - Sydney Australia

Rudegar
Old
Retired Moderator
Thanks Meter 41
well the antenna are never fully external
like on the xda1 only some of the antenna is external
it would most likely be internal aswell
for better reception
hhhmm ok i may be a jerk but i'm a jedi jerk like my father was before me