Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,628 Members 38,728 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Don't bother with battery comparisons on the i9500, the phone is unfinished.

Tip us?
 
AndreiLux
Old
#1  
AndreiLux's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13,676
Posts: 2,780
Join Date: Jul 2011

 
DONATE TO ME
Default Don't bother with battery comparisons on the i9500, the phone is unfinished.

So I got my i9500 and already did some foolery with it.

Fine device, but I hate the raised lip around the screen edge. Something I definitely did not miss on the S3 and something very annoying.

Other than that small design critique:

THE ****ING PHONE ISN'T RUNNING FINAL FIRMWARE!

Basically the CPU is running on the cluster migration driver, meaning it switches all four cores from the LITTLE to the big cluster, as opposed to the core migration driver who does this in an individual core-pair manner.

You can pretty much throw all battery comparisons out of the window: it's completely unfinished and unoptimal.

I already compiled the kernel and flashed it without the cluster migration tidbit, but the phone won't boot. So yea. Current sources also useless.

Cleverly enough: you can't really distinguish between the two drivers apart from one manner: if /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/iks-cpufreq/max_eagle_count is present, you're running an IKS driver. If it's not, then you're running the sub-optimal IKCS driver.

So yea. We'll see what Samsung does about this, currently the advantages of big.LITTLE are pretty much unused.

Another nail in the coffin on how rushed and unprepared this phone has been.
The Following 92 Users Say Thank You to AndreiLux For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
ChronoReverse
Old
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 158
Posts: 1,033
Join Date: Jun 2010
Wow, this is seriously turning out to be a fiasco.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChronoReverse For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Xdenwarrior
Old
#3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 7
Posts: 235
Join Date: Mar 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoReverse View Post
Wow, this is seriously turning out to be a fiasco.
This is EXACTLY why at the end I don't care for technical details about socs but was rather waiting for real world usage first. As much I wanted to agree with Andrei Lux on how intelligent BigLittle is, I sort of felt that it wont be same at the end.
Question is now: Is this possible to fix in the near future?? So that maybe buying the Exynos will be beneficial if the devs take over. I wont bet on Samsung introducing mind-blowing improvements in that department in upcoming firmwares
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Xdenwarrior For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
AndreiLux
Old
#4  
AndreiLux's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13,676
Posts: 2,780
Join Date: Jul 2011

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xdenwarrior View Post
Question is now: Is this possible to fix in the near future?? So that maybe buying the Exynos will be beneficial if the devs take over. I wont bet on Samsung introducing mind-blowing improvements in that department in upcoming firmwares
The code other driver is there in the kernel, it's just not used. No idea. It's not like we need Samsung for it: I already talked to a developer at Linaro about some incomplete switcher code that's being currently getting the green-light to be made public. But who knows how long that will take.

Whatever the case, I gather that they can't just let it be in the current state.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AndreiLux For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Xdenwarrior
Old
#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 7
Posts: 235
Join Date: Mar 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreiLux View Post
The code other driver is there in the kernel, it's just not used. No idea. It's not like we need Samsung for it: I already talked to a developer at Linaro about some incomplete switcher code that's being currently getting the green-light to be made public. But who knows how long that will take.

Whatever the case, I gather that they can't just let it be in the current state.
Any way to just disable cortex a15 altogether yet just to see how well cortex a7 will perform in simple texting, browsing, calling and to see what the battery life will be like on that?? (cause cortex a7 only uses like 200 something mw as opposed to 1000mw for snapdragon). I know u wont be able to game. How often does Cortex A15 hits in? cause I would suspect a much worse battery life with incomplete drivers doing the switching if its very often on. But PocketNow reports very similar battery results to snapdragon variant which I find odd
 
AndreiLux
Old
#6  
AndreiLux's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13,676
Posts: 2,780
Join Date: Jul 2011

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xdenwarrior View Post
Any way to just disable cortex a15 altogether yet just to see how well cortex a7 will perform in simple texting, browsing, calling and to see what the battery life will be like on that?? (cause cortex a7 only uses like 200 something mw as opposed to 1000mw for snapdragon). I know u wont be able to game. How often does Cortex A15 hits in? cause I would suspect a much worse battery life with incomplete drivers doing the switching if its very often on. But PocketNow reports very similar battery results to snapdragon variant which I find odd
Use any app to limit the CPU frequency to 600MHz. That'll limit it to the A7 cores running to 1200MHz. Basically you can just use CPU-Spy. Everything <= 600 are A7's mapped at half frequency, everything above it are A15's at 1:1 frequency.

As for PocketNow: irrelevant. The difference is what could be instead of what is, the Snapdragon doesn't play a role in the discussion here.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AndreiLux For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
yahyoh
Old
#7  
yahyoh's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1,878
Posts: 4,655
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Riyadh
WOW , thats sucks

Samsung was too rushed and ruined it :/
Gnote2 Rom: XXUFNE1 kernel: Stock
.........................
Galaxy S2 ROM: XWMS3 4.1.2 Kernel: Stock
............................
MOTO G ROM : 4.4.4 Kernel :stock

............
 
Xdenwarrior
Old
#8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 7
Posts: 235
Join Date: Mar 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreiLux View Post
Use any app to limit the CPU frequency to 600MHz. That'll limit it to the A7 cores running to 1200MHz. Basically you can just use CPU-Spy. Everything <= 600 are A7's mapped at half frequency, everything above it are A15's at 1:1 frequency.

As for PocketNow: irrelevant. The difference is what could be instead of what is, the Snapdragon doesn't play a role in the discussion here.
Hey thanks, but I don't have the S4 to test it with since i'm still debating on which to get. I live in Canada and so the only version here which I can get a lot cheaper on a contract is LTE snapdragon, but I wont mind getting the Exynos since it got potential. Besides 16GB internal isn't enough for me. So that's why asking if u seen any improvements in battery when only cortex a7 ran? If a7 doesn't do much in power consumption, then no point spending 800 bucks and loosing LTE altogether...
 
razer1224
Old
#9  
Guest
Thanks Meter 2,157
Posts: 3,712
Join Date: Feb 2012
@bala_gamer please see my PM its important...

Sent from my GT-I9500 using xda premium
 
AndreiLux
Old
#10  
AndreiLux's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13,676
Posts: 2,780
Join Date: Jul 2011

 
DONATE TO ME
Oh wow. Just got word (without further in-depth explanation) that this might actually be a hardware limitation. Coming from a reliable source.

No words...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AndreiLux For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes