Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,879 Members 43,989 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Sound crackling/distortion with certain headphones?

Tip us?

trenzterra
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jensigner View Post
Don't forget that the tests I reported are for PURE RESISTIVE LOADS. Real headphones have an impedance that will vary considerably with frequency (the "nominal" impedance of headphones I think is measured at 1 kHz). So maybe the impedance drops too low at some frequencies. Anyway, those "fuzzies" which show in the sine tones (on the scope) and sound like a "buzz" are well known in output driver stages and are circuit design issues. I'd be really surprised if any sort of firmware update could fix it and maintain the same outstanding characteristics that the S4 has. I updated the RMAA audio tests (for 32 ohm resistor loads) at the web page. My results are for open headphone output (what you'd get if you used a small external amp) and 32 ohm resistor loads are very similar to GSMArena's measurements ... probably the best audio performer of any current smartphone. So we really have to continue to leverage this to Samsung to get a proper response.
Yes, but a check on innerfidelity reveals that the lowest the UE900 dips is 20 ohms: http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/LogitechUE900.pdf. A friend with the Shure SE425 also experiences the same issue when the lowest impedance it goes is around 19 ohms: http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/ShureSEseries.pdf

I wonder if different sets may be more 'lemon' than others.

I am trying to leverage this to Samsung, but it would help if everyone does their part to email Samsung about this. One person reporting this problem they'd probably ignore, but if hundreds or thousands come to them with the same issue it might do the trick.

Though I doubt Samsung will initiate a recall for this since realistically 99% of users will probably be satisfied with Samsung stock earphones. Just take a look at the 'screen smearing' thread, I think that is a much more minor issue than this but no one apart from a few of us seems to care about the amplifier issue which may be much more troubling.

By the way, I'm no sound engineer, but what exactly is the output driver stage? Is it part of the amplifier or the DAC? If it's the DAC then maybe we need to involve Qualcomm in this too. Is it connected to the motherboard or integrated to the 3.5mm jack? Take a look at the teardown to see how the S4's motherboard looks like: http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Samsu...ardown/13947/1

---------- Post added at 05:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:03 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lienot View Post
Sorry that I have to post again, but I tested it again and it is interesting... it is not the volume, it is the frequency.
Two different songs, one is crackling at ca 70% volume other song, not crackling at 100 percent although the bass is not "unheavy", too...

All the best
Lienot

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9505 mit Tapatalk 2
To get a better objective test, try the test tones I linked to above.

BTW, on your rooted phone are you using a custom kernel or still the default kernel? Are you sure it doesn't happen on the stock ROM for you? Maybe you would want to try again! Or is it two different S4s you are talking about?

Lienot
Old
Thanks Meter 17
I use the djembey - or how the name was... and I am 99% sure that with the unrooted phone I don't have this problem. It is the second time I have it. I have to test the tones, but I am not at home right now

CU
Lienot

---------- Post added at 06:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:20 PM ----------

Same phone, stock kernel...

Galaxy S4 / Lenovo IdeaTab S-6000H / Oppo Find 7 (in a few days)

i4mt3hwin
Old
(Last edited by i4mt3hwin; 12th May 2013 at 05:30 PM.)
Thanks Meter 9
Well I flashed a stock image with odin, no root, and I still have the issue. That being said -- I'm pretty sure I didn't have this issue when I bought the phone because the first thing I remember doing is listening to music and thinking about how good it is and I definitely had it turned up. It's possible that I wasn't listening to the right songs or whatever but so far I can't get it to go away. I've tried disabling all the S4 features and stuff to see if it's maybe interference by something, the wifi or whatever, I tried disabling the radio. I've odin flashed back to stock official and now I'm going to try a custom kernel.

I've already sent an email to samsung via their customer support about it -- I only have another few days to return the device back to T-Mobile. I don't want to because I kind of like it and I don't want to go a few days without a phone but whatever. What annoys me is that because this only effects people who care about the sound quality of the device no one is really going to report it as an issue. I haven't seen one review mention it. GSM Arena who supposedly did an extensive audio portion said nothing about it.

Frustrating.

I posted Jens link up on reddit android:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comm...io_distortion/

Hopefully more people will see it there and make a fuss and it will get resolved.
The Following User Says Thank You to i4mt3hwin For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

trenzterra
Old
(Last edited by trenzterra; 12th May 2013 at 05:48 PM.)
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by i4mt3hwin View Post
Well I flashed a stock image with odin, no root, and I still have the issue. That being said -- I'm pretty sure I didn't have this issue when I bought the phone because the first thing I remember doing is listening to music and thinking about how good it is and I definitely had it turned up. It's possible that I wasn't listening to the right songs or whatever but so far I can't get it to go away. I've tried disabling all the S4 features and stuff to see if it's maybe interference by something, the wifi or whatever, I tried disabling the radio. I've odin flashed back to stock official and now I'm going to try a custom kernel.

I've already sent an email to samsung via their customer support about it -- I only have another few days to return the device back to T-Mobile. I don't want to because I kind of like it and I don't want to go a few days without a phone but whatever. What annoys me is that because this only effects people who care about the sound quality of the device no one is really going to report it as an issue. I haven't seen one review mention it. GSM Arena who supposedly did an extensive audio portion said nothing about it.

Frustrating.

I posted Jens link up on reddit android:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comm...io_distortion/

Hopefully more people will see it there and make a fuss and it will get resolved.
If it's possible, try to get a 1-1 exchange from T-Mobile. Some phones are less sensitive/affected than others for some reason. When I found out about this issue I went to get a 1-1 exchange. The exchanged unit had noticeable crackling even at volume 8 so I rejected it and stuck with my original one. Decided to send it in to the service centre, and got back a unit that was a little less sensitive where the crackling is much less apparent even at max volume.

BTW I suggest you post a video of the apparent crackling in a normal song to convince more people. Test tones may seem unconvincing to the uneducated masses.

otacon888
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Tested on I9500 with my XBA4 and perfect sound at full volume. What's strange is that there were two I9505s on display and both were perfectly fine. Tested with same song and same earphones.

I don't get it...

Sent from my GT-I9505 using xda premium

trenzterra
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by otacon888 View Post
Tested on I9500 with my XBA4 and perfect sound at full volume. What's strange is that there were two I9505s on display and both were perfectly fine. Tested with same song and same earphones.

I don't get it...

That is great!

I've tested demo sets without the issue as well. But the demo sets are running i9505X which have slightly different hardware (particularly they do not have a SIM card slot). Probably they do not have the cellular hardware too which may explain the differences.

Anyway, I have made a video of the problem using an actual song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5qj8...ature=youtu.be

Feel free to share them.

otacon888
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Yup...the demo sets are I9505x.

trenzterra
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by otacon888 View Post
Yup...the demo sets are I9505x.

Actually I am really curious about the hardware differences in the 9505X. I enabled airplane mode on my 9505 and the problem still happens. Probably added/removed something in the production sets that may have caused the problem.

Lienot
Old
Thanks Meter 17
I am sorry but I can't hear anything on this video...

Galaxy S4 / Lenovo IdeaTab S-6000H / Oppo Find 7 (in a few days)

trenzterra
Old
Thanks Meter 8
I used my iPhone to record it so it may be a little soft. Try turning up the volume if you can!