[App/1.5+/Open-source/Root and Non-root] Permanent screen off for the Visual Impaired
Open source app development project: Permanent screen off for the Visual Impaired
This is an app development project that turns off the Android screen permanently yet keeps the touchscreen and other features active and functional for the visual impaired.
Introduction & Goals of the project
There are many Android users who are blinded. And to them, they access the app mainly using TalkBack or other Screen Reader app. That also means that the screen is basically useless to them. They don't need to look at the screen yet they need to be able to use touchscreen.
This project is to create an app that will turn the screen completely off (100% off) yet let the user use the phone as normal.
Assuming that the blind takes more time than normal user to perform an action, it dramatically saves the device's battery.
The app must be easy to use and tailored to visual impaired user.
The app automatically runs with the device.
The app must be free and advertisement-free.
I am the developer of the project and I recruit the interest of other developers / users as well. I am the developer of Screen Standby app, which this project is based on.
- Running Android 1.5 (Cupcake) or above
- (Optionally) Rooted for best battery-saving
. The app works with non-root device
though, only rooted device achieves complete dark
1) Download the apk and Install the app
2) Run the app at least once
3) Select Enable app from menu
4) If the system asks for Superuser access, select always remember and allow
5) To disable, select "Disable app" from the menu and restart the device.
NOTE: Please read
1) Always use a screen reader (e.g TalkBack) with the app. In case you want to use your device without the screen
2) This app will permanently switch the device's screen off when it is active. To turns the screen back on, select "Disable app" or uninstall app completely and reboot
3) To uninstall from ADB, go to a shell and type: adb uninstall com.nkahoang.screenoffvisualimpair
Currently the app can be downloaded from attachment section of this post. When it is stable enough, it will be ready to be released on Play Store for free download.
Source code can be downloaded in second post
If you know any Android user who is blinded, let them use the app and report. Any feedback is welcomed