Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,743,029 Members 42,666 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Bootloader hacking details

Tip us?

djrbliss
Old
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 2606

DONATE TO ME
Default Bootloader hacking details

Some of you may have seen a picture I posted earlier. In case you missed it:
https://twitter.com/djrbliss/status/329617760252481537

I thought I would answer some of the more common questions I've been receiving.

Is that the AT&T-branded Galaxy S4?
Yes. It wouldn't be very interesting otherwise.

Does this allow you to run custom kernels and recoveries?
Yes.

When will this be released?
I will not be publishing anything at least until the Verizon-branded Galaxy S4 begins shipping (late May).

Does that mean it will work on the Verizon model?
It is highly likely this will also work on the Verizon model, but since I don't have one I'm unable to test at this time.

Will bothering me result in an early release?
No.

Is this the result of a leak?
No. I would not associate myself with the publication of confidential materials that are proprietary to these companies, regardless of the fact that I disagree with their policies on device openness. Plus, where's the fun in that?

What about the bounty?
Feel free to wait until I publish and decide for yourself if it meets your criteria. As always, I prefer any donations go to a reputable charity organization instead of me, but I won't refuse if you insist on throwing money at my PayPal (http://goo.gl/zBGb0).

Is it safe to install OTA updates?
If you are interested in taking advantage of this release, it is recommended that you avoid installing OTA updates until it is published. Please be aware that refraining from installing updates may prevent you from receiving security and stability fixes for your device, and consider whether this is a risk you are willing to accept.

What's your favorite color?
Blue.
The Following 321 Users Say Thank You to djrbliss For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

appdroid
Old
Thanks Meter 4307

DONATE TO ME
Nice work!!!!!!
Check out my blog, Everything about Android! & Click Here to See Android Tutorials on My Youtube.
New to XDA?? Check this out!!
I hate when People don't Thank after getting help So Got help! Great hit Thnx!!!!
If You Appreciate My work Please Donate & Help me Buy A Desktop Which will help me make Better ROMs!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to appdroid For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ericos123
Old
Thanks Meter 15
thank you 1 billion times over, now at the end of the month i can hopefully flash the stock system and fix my device

will donate once released later this month

hyelton
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2215

DONATE TO ME
Awesome!!!! Just got my S4 Today.
My Build: ASRock 970 Extreme4 | Amd FX-6300 OC to 4.5Ghz | Nvidia GTX-650-Ti | 8GB 1600 | 120GB Samsung 840 SSD | 500GB Hard Drive | Windows 7 Pro | NZXT 810 White Case.
Current Phone: Sony Xperia Z1 (White)

Check out my Personal site and Photography www.hunterspad.com

Please Click Thanks If I helped you in any way!
If you need anything Hosted Or mirrored: Send a PM my Way
My Server Specs: 24X Intel Xeon E5-2620 2.1Ghz,32GB Ram,2TB HD

jimmydafish
Old
Thanks Meter 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by djrbliss View Post

Yes.

I will not be publishing anything at least until the Verizon-branded Galaxy S4 begins shipping (late May).

It is highly likely this will also work on the Verizon model, but since I don't have one I'm unable to test at this time.

No.

No. I would not associate myself with the publication of confidential materials that are proprietary to these companies, regardless of the fact that I disagree with their policies on device openness. Plus, where's the fun in that?

What about the bounty?
Feel free to wait until I publish and decide for yourself if it meets your criteria. As always, I prefer any donations go to a reputable charity organization instead of me, but I won't refuse if you insist on throwing money at my PayPal (http://goo.gl/zBGb0).

If you are interested in taking advantage of this release, it is recommended that you avoid installing OTA updates until it is published. Please be aware that refraining from installing updates may prevent you from receiving security and stability fixes for your device, and consider whether this is a risk you are willing to accept.

Blue.
Thanks from all the current and future S4 owners, of which I am not one. But I know a gift horse when I see one.
P3Droid
www.aosp.us
TeamBlackHat
The Following User Says Thank You to jimmydafish For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

slapdaddy
Old
Thanks Meter 65
Thanks man. This is great news!

I'm just curious as to how many devices this has been tested on?

Sent from my HTC Vivid.

Shammyh
Old
Thanks Meter 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by djrbliss View Post

Yes.

No.

What about the bounty?

Blue.
That's extremely good news. Thank you very much for your work! Just picked up my AT&T GS4 today...

I of course respect your wishes to release/share (or not) at your own schedule, it is your prerogative; but may I ask, why the wait for the Verizon model? To be clear, I'm not in any hurry, I'm just curious...

Also, any technical updates on how you made this possible? (other than obviously a good knowledge of ARM and reverse engineering)
- Samsung Galaxy S 4 (SGH-i337) -- Custom i9505 build | KT's latest i337 kernel | Primary Phone
- Samsung Galaxy S II (SGH-I777) -- CM 10.1 | Kernel Varies | Backup Phone

flucks
Old
Thanks Meter 25
Thank you so much!! I will be getting an S4 today because of this.

nakedninja42
Old
Thanks Meter 699

DONATE TO ME
BLUE IS MY FAVORITE TOO!!

Seriously though, GREAT JOB!!
Phone: Nexus 5 stock 4.4 with ART

Tablet: Nexus 7 stock 4.4

Wife: Nexus 5 stock 4.4 / Kindle Fire otter CM 10.1.3 4.2.2

Old: HTC Pure; Samsung SGH-I897; Samsung GT-P7510; Samsung SGH-I777

BaconStep
Old