Update ANY Windows Phone to latest 7.8
Go to the Website for more details + download
This little tool is pretty simple: it just updates any Windows Phone to the latest 7.8 version, through a nice, user friendly wizard that is always responsive and gives a lot of feedback during the process, serving as a frontend for Microsoft's UpdateWP.exe tool. Best of all, you may stop the update chain and continue later and it will remember the languages you selected.
All you should need is:
- Windows Vista, 7 or 8
- .NET Framework 4.5
Thanks to everyone who has reported back their success to update these devices! Hopefully, this will add some confidence to people who want to use this tools!
- Nokia Lumia 800 (lesmo_sft)
- LG Optimus 7 (lesmo_sft)
- HTC HD7 (michael_ta315)
- HTC Titan (wavrunrx)
- Samsung Focus (tekcard, GauharJK)
Before posting or sending a PM, check this:
- Every single Windows Phone is supported, no matter the carrier nor the manufacturer (although there appears to be issues with "Walshed" phones)
- Custom ROMs are not recommended to be updated (it's a custom ROM, it should already have 7.8 right?)
- This tool can update from version 7720 and everything in between, to 8862 (which is WP7.8 with the Tile Update fix)
- This tool uses official Microsoft CAB files, listed here
- It's very unlikely that your phone gets bricked if you follow the wizard
Yes, there's more. I plan to extend this tool to help those guys with phones that had troubles with the updates because of not selecting the right languages, or some package related problems.
I'm not sure how many people would actually use Windows XP to update, but I'll adapt parts of the code to compile under .NET 2.0 or 3.0 so it can be used with XP.
I may even think about supporting deployment of packages to multiple devices, but I think it's just not used.
I've been a major lurker here on XDA (since 2010) and never posted a single thing. I'm passionate for ease of use, nice graphics and responsive user interaction... so I think it's time to share, help and learn! Because of that, I created this little tool inspired on Windows Phone Hacker's seveneigther.
Credits go to Jaxbot (the guy behind Windows Phone Hacker) for inspiration, and all the people posting in this thread keeping the CABs list up to date.
Yes. You can help even if you're not a guy who knows how to write code. Right now, this little tool supports English and Spanish out of the box. If you'd like to help with the localization of this tool in your language, PM me (or call me maybe? :P) and I'll provide you with the file or strings needed so you can translate them, and I'll update the tool.
An easier and faster way to help with the translation, is through Transifex. You can access the project here: https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/sharp7eighter/
- Fixed doublé update causing loss of time and v7720 not be updateable
- Fixed index out of bound because 7720 version had no description in the update chain
v1.0a (removed because ashamed)
- Not working (index out of bound because 7720 version had no description in the update chain)
- Fixed the package chain validation issue that made me look bad
- Added logging to file
- Added progress indicator during updates
v1.0 (removed for safety)
- Not working (package chain validation issue)
- Add a tool to help fixing the language packages issue (very likely to be a separate tool bundled with Sharp7Eighter)
- Add a "Stop Update" button that will stop the update... or maybe just play a funny sound
- Include Italian translation
- Include Dutch translation
- Downgrade the .NET Framework needed from 4.5 to 2.0 if possible