[TOOL] Windows Phone 7.8 Update Wizard (Sharp7Eighter)

Search This thread

lesmo_sft

Jun 12, 2010
Mexico
Sharp7Eigther
Update ANY Windows Phone to latest 7.8
scr001.png

Go to the Website for more details + download

This little tool is pretty simple: it just updates any Windows Phone to the latest 7.8 version, through a nice, user friendly wizard that is always responsive and gives a lot of feedback during the process, serving as a frontend for Microsoft's UpdateWP.exe tool. Best of all, you may stop the update chain and continue later and it will remember the languages you selected.

All you should need is:
  • Windows Vista, 7 or 8
  • .NET Framework 4.5

Phones tested
Thanks to everyone who has reported back their success to update these devices! Hopefully, this will add some confidence to people who want to use this tools!
I could've messed up the name of some phones because I don't know them, but that's what I've read in the post. So if anyone, for example, know that HTC HD7 is the same as the Titan, then please let me know and I'll fix this list!

FAQ
Before posting or sending a PM, check this:
  • Every single Windows Phone is supported, no matter the carrier nor the manufacturer (although there appears to be issues with "Walshed" phones)
  • Custom ROMs are not recommended to be updated (it's a custom ROM, it should already have 7.8 right?)
  • This tool can update from version 7720 and everything in between, to 8862 (which is WP7.8 with the Tile Update fix)
  • This tool uses official Microsoft CAB files, listed here
  • It's very unlikely that your phone gets bricked if you follow the wizard

What's next?
Yes, there's more. I plan to extend this tool to help those guys with phones that had troubles with the updates because of not selecting the right languages, or some package related problems.

I'm not sure how many people would actually use Windows XP to update, but I'll adapt parts of the code to compile under .NET 2.0 or 3.0 so it can be used with XP.

I may even think about supporting deployment of packages to multiple devices, but I think it's just not used.

Why?
I've been a major lurker here on XDA (since 2010) and never posted a single thing. I'm passionate for ease of use, nice graphics and responsive user interaction... so I think it's time to share, help and learn! Because of that, I created this little tool inspired on Windows Phone Hacker's seveneigther.

Credits
Credits go to Jaxbot (the guy behind Windows Phone Hacker) for inspiration, and all the people posting in this thread keeping the CABs list up to date.

Feel free to post problems, bugs you find and suggestions :laugh:

Volunteers
Yes. You can help even if you're not a guy who knows how to write code. Right now, this little tool supports English and Spanish out of the box. If you'd like to help with the localization of this tool in your language, PM me (or call me maybe? :p) and I'll provide you with the file or strings needed so you can translate them, and I'll update the tool.

An easier and faster way to help with the translation, is through Transifex. You can access the project here: https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/sharp7eighter/

Change Log
v1.0c
  • Fixed doublé update causing loss of time and v7720 not be updateable

v1.0b
  • Fixed index out of bound because 7720 version had no description in the update chain

v1.0a (removed because ashamed)
  • Not working (index out of bound because 7720 version had no description in the update chain)
  • Fixed the package chain validation issue that made me look bad
  • Added logging to file
  • Added progress indicator during updates

v1.0 (removed for safety)
  • Not working (package chain validation issue)

Roadmap
v1.2
  • Add a tool to help fixing the language packages issue (very likely to be a separate tool bundled with Sharp7Eighter)

v1.1
  • Add a "Stop Update" button that will stop the update... or maybe just play a funny sound
  • Include Italian translation
  • Include Dutch translation
  • Downgrade the .NET Framework needed from 4.5 to 2.0 if possible

Attachments

• screenshot_00086.png
    screenshot_00086.png
    21.1 KB · Views: 2,242
  • screenshot_00091.png
    screenshot_00091.png
    10.4 KB · Views: 2,036
  • screenshot_00087.png
    screenshot_00087.png
    15.6 KB · Views: 1,995
Last edited:

tracywong

Sep 20, 2007
San Jose
I have T-mobile HTC radar. running windows Phone 7.5 with OS version 7.10.8107.79 and my PC is windows 7 with .net 4.5 installed and phone tool installed.

After choosing the correct language (which is US English), it went to complete screen. Nothing seems to happen. I tried restart the PC and a few times.

Help

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 488

wavrunrx

Jul 14, 2011
so im an android guy and i have never even used a windows phone; but my friend has asked me to upgrade his HTC Titan (the original titan)

i installed all the pre-req's and i get as far as sharp7eighter asking me what language is installed in the titan;

next screen i get this:

shot_130507_111958.png

kiHl0bMu

i see in the OP, version 7740 is required as a base; so im left wondering;
is the ATT HTC Titan one of the phones that cannot be updated ?
are we stuck at v. 7720 ?

Patgt500

Dec 23, 2010
Same issue as tracywong, after language selection, just the completed screen.

michael_ta315

Oct 1, 2012
Mordor
whut? o_O after I chose my language I pressed next and it just said were done. But nothing is happening.. :confused: I'm on HTC HD7 v8107 :(

Hmmm... so no one confirmed this work? hmmmm..... not much reputation with this guy too.... hmmm........ maybe i'm wrong :silly: but i'll hold off until someone confirm it's working.

Last edited:

lufoxe

Nov 22, 2010
I have a Dell Venue Pro running 7.5 v7720. I apparently am a wizard. :p I receive the same error
In all seriousness though, I am excited and willing to test if you could help.

lesmo_sft

Jun 12, 2010
Mexico
Ooops!

Hi folks! Quick update on the issue some of you are reporting. It's a little problem with a thing on the way I parse the update chain, that I've just fixed. I tested on a Lumia 800 (which by the way has some languages not listed on the tool or the XDA thread), and so far it looks good.

I'll upload the fixed version in a couple of hours. I'll check the problem with the very first version of Windows Phone and report back.

Thanks for your patience and reports! :)

Reactions: wavrunrx

wavrunrx

Jul 14, 2011
Hi folks! Quick update on the issue some of you are reporting. It's a little problem with a thing on the way I parse the update chain, that I've just fixed. I tested on a Lumia 800 (which by the way has some languages not listed on the tool or the XDA thread), and so far it looks good.

I'll upload the fixed version in a couple of hours. I'll check the problem with the very first version of Windows Phone and report back.

So, an HTC Titan with windowsOS 7720 will be alright with the update ?

Forjo

Dec 25, 2008
Houston, TX

Just to add -- this did not work on a Verizon HTC Trophy. It went straight to the "we're done" screen with no activity on the phone.

-Forjo

lesmo_sft

Jun 12, 2010
Mexico
So, I'm currently testing with a Nokia Lumia 800 I have in stock. The problem is now mostly solved, I'm just fixing a little problem occurring after the phone reboots from a successful update.

So, an HTC Titan with windowsOS 7720 will be alright with the update ?
I'm rolling an update that will allow those to update too, please be patient!

is this works for samsung focus s with os version 7.10.8858.136?and currently updated to 7.8 using seveneighter and still locked ican't install 3rd party apps:(
Did you miss a language package? Did you run SevenEighter twice on the same phone? Did you run UpdateWP.exe to install other update packages? Is it a custom ROM? Have you tried resetting it? Answer to these questions can help me and many others try to come up with a solution. :)

whut? o_O after I chose my language I pressed next and it just said were done. But nothing is happening.. :confused: I'm on HTC HD7 v8107 :(

Hmmm... so no one confirmed this work? hmmmm..... not much reputation with this guy too.... hmmm........ maybe i'm wrong :silly: but i'll hold off until someone confirm it's working.
Hahahaha don't worry... don't be disappointed yet. I'm new to XDA, I know. You'll see!

Reactions: michael_ta315

michael_ta315

Oct 1, 2012
Mordor
So, I'm currently testing with a Nokia Lumia 800 I have in stock. The problem is now mostly solved, I'm just fixing a little problem occurring after the phone reboots from a successful update.

Hahahaha don't worry... don't be disappointed yet. I'm new to XDA, I know. You'll see!

Okayy :fingers-crossed: It's always great to see new talents :good:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Sharp7Eigther
    Update ANY Windows Phone to latest 7.8
    scr001.png

Go to the Website for more details + download

This little tool is pretty simple: it just updates any Windows Phone to the latest 7.8 version, through a nice, user friendly wizard that is always responsive and gives a lot of feedback during the process, serving as a frontend for Microsoft's UpdateWP.exe tool. Best of all, you may stop the update chain and continue later and it will remember the languages you selected.

All you should need is:
    • Windows Vista, 7 or 8
    • .NET Framework 4.5

Phones tested
    Thanks to everyone who has reported back their success to update these devices! Hopefully, this will add some confidence to people who want to use this tools!
    I could've messed up the name of some phones because I don't know them, but that's what I've read in the post. So if anyone, for example, know that HTC HD7 is the same as the Titan, then please let me know and I'll fix this list!

FAQ
    Before posting or sending a PM, check this:
    • Every single Windows Phone is supported, no matter the carrier nor the manufacturer (although there appears to be issues with "Walshed" phones)
    • Custom ROMs are not recommended to be updated (it's a custom ROM, it should already have 7.8 right?)
    • This tool can update from version 7720 and everything in between, to 8862 (which is WP7.8 with the Tile Update fix)
    • This tool uses official Microsoft CAB files, listed here
    • It's very unlikely that your phone gets bricked if you follow the wizard

What's next?
    Yes, there's more. I plan to extend this tool to help those guys with phones that had troubles with the updates because of not selecting the right languages, or some package related problems.

I'm not sure how many people would actually use Windows XP to update, but I'll adapt parts of the code to compile under .NET 2.0 or 3.0 so it can be used with XP.

I may even think about supporting deployment of packages to multiple devices, but I think it's just not used.

Why?
    I've been a major lurker here on XDA (since 2010) and never posted a single thing. I'm passionate for ease of use, nice graphics and responsive user interaction... so I think it's time to share, help and learn! Because of that, I created this little tool inspired on Windows Phone Hacker's seveneigther.

Credits
    Credits go to Jaxbot (the guy behind Windows Phone Hacker) for inspiration, and all the people posting in this thread keeping the CABs list up to date.

Feel free to post problems, bugs you find and suggestions :laugh:

Volunteers
    Yes. You can help even if you're not a guy who knows how to write code. Right now, this little tool supports English and Spanish out of the box. If you'd like to help with the localization of this tool in your language, PM me (or call me maybe? :p) and I'll provide you with the file or strings needed so you can translate them, and I'll update the tool.

An easier and faster way to help with the translation, is through Transifex. You can access the project here: https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/sharp7eighter/

Change Log
    v1.0c
    • Fixed doublé update causing loss of time and v7720 not be updateable

v1.0b
    • Fixed index out of bound because 7720 version had no description in the update chain

v1.0a (removed because ashamed)
    • Not working (index out of bound because 7720 version had no description in the update chain)
    • Fixed the package chain validation issue that made me look bad
    • Added logging to file
    • Added progress indicator during updates

v1.0 (removed for safety)
    • Not working (package chain validation issue)

Roadmap
    v1.2
    • Add a tool to help fixing the language packages issue (very likely to be a separate tool bundled with Sharp7Eighter)

v1.1
    • Add a "Stop Update" button that will stop the update... or maybe just play a funny sound
    • Include Italian translation
    • Include Dutch translation
    • Downgrade the .NET Framework needed from 4.5 to 2.0 if possible
    I'm starting to wonder about this. Has anyone successfully upgraded?

After language selection, I get:

Unhandled exception has occurred in your application.

Index was outside the bounds of the array.

Clicking details displays the following:

See the end of this message for details on invoking
    just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
    System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
    at Sharp7Eigther.Steps.Step4.LoadUpdateChain()
    at Sharp7Eigther.Steps.Step4.MainCallback()
    at Sharp7Eigther.Main.<>c__DisplayClass4.<.ctor>b__2(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    at Sharp7Eigther.Steps.Step3v.btnContinue_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
    mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.18033 built by: FX45RTMGDR
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
    ----------------------------------------
    Sharp7Eigther
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/78/Sharp7Eigther.exe
    System.Windows.Forms
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.18037 built by: FX45RTMGDR
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
    System.Drawing
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.18022 built by: FX45RTMGDR
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
    System
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
    System.Configuration
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.17929 built by: FX45RTMREL
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
    System.Xml
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
    Microsoft.GeneratedCode
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
    System.Core
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.17929 built by: FX45RTMREL
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
    To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
    application or computer (machine.config) must have the
    jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
    The application must also be compiled with debugging
    enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
    </configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
    will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
    rather than be handled by this dialog box.

:silly: last update... promise. When I added 7720 to the Package Chain, I didn't add a description (which triggers the Index Out of Bounds exception). And as this happened right before the last build (after the Nokia I updated), I didn't notice.

I'm very sorry about this. This is going to work fine. I'll update another Nokia 800 (with the build I uploaded), and take some extra screenshots :)
    v1.0c has failed to update 8779. I have confirmed that the languages are correct. Please advise if disconnecting will brick my phone or if you have a potential solution.

The log file allowed me to discard a possible issue with the tool's code. Now, it appears to be an issue related to the drivers in your PC. You see, your phone has two ways of interacting with your PC: as MTPz (to transfer media, apps and other settings) and "Download Mode" (to transfer updates). Both modes use different drivers, and maybe that's the issue.

First of all, make sure your PC is connected to the Internet and that searching Windows Update for drivers is enabled (check here if you are unsure how). And before going on, try restarting it and running the tool again. If it still has issues, you can try this:
    • Turn off your phone (make sure it's not connected to the PC)
    • Turn on your phone and hold the camera button (before it vibrates)
    • Your phone should show a screen asking you to connect it to your PC. Let's call this the "Download Mode".
    • Now connect it to your PC (make sure the Sharp7Eighter and Zune are not running)
    • Open the Device Manager (instructions here)
    • In the Device Manager, look for the Portable Devices category and right click what should be the name of your device (in my case, LG-E900h). If you can't find your phone under that category, try to look for it under Universal Serial Bus Drivers or anywhere else
    • Right click on your device and choose "Uninstall"
    • When the warning appears, check the box saying "Delete driver software for this device" and click "Uninstall".
    • Disconnect your phone (even if the uninstall is not finished yet)
    • To be safe, restart your PC
    • Once your PC is on, make sure it's connected to the internet and that searching Windows Update for driver is enabled
    • Connect your phone. It's possible that some "Searching for drivers" windows or notification balloons appear.
    • Make sure there's no driver installation is occurring, and proceed to try the tool again

Tell me what happens! :)
    Ooops!

I've been away from XDA for a couple of years (since WP7 came out) and I'd like to know what 7.8 provides over 7.5. Does it have tethering capability? I'm on a mango version Verizon Trophy and will soon move to a new phone but I'm getting the itch to upgrade the old phone first.