Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,471 Members 41,348 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

I am very disappointed in my GS4

Tip us?

sal1311
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20
Default I am very disappointed in my GS4

I'm sorry I've been a galaxy user for a long time and have never been let down until now. I have had the gs2 gs3 note and note 2. I have loved them all and didn't expect anything less out of the new gs4. Well I guess there is a first time for everything. This phone sucks plain and simple! It suffers from terrible lag when scrolling through the web. The pinch to zoom is terrible and slow. Yea the features are cool but who's ever really going to use them? You would think that maybe with all the new software samsung has introduced they would have taken a little time to give us a better keyboard with an auto correct feature. Even while typing the thread my phone is suffering from terrible lag and just can't keep up with me.

Htc one. I have that as well and I'm trying to decide which to keep. Its smooth as silk and works as it should. I'm trying to persuade myself to keep the galaxy s4 hoping that a patch will be issued and alot of these issues will be fixed. I'm having a hard time doing it though because the htc is really perfect aside from button placement and size.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sal1311 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Underground_XI
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 379
If you really have been using those devices you mention then you should know that all the issues you say you are experiencing can be easily solved by update or by rooting the device and getting rid of bloat. S4 is a beast hardware wise.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

ovoxo.
Old
(Last edited by ovoxo.; 3rd May 2013 at 01:05 AM.)
Thanks Meter 23
I'm thinking that when a stable root method is available a custom rom will definitely improve things. The sheer amount of bloatware is ridiculous and is bogging down the performance of the phone. A debloated rom might be the fix.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using xda premium
Device: Nexus 5
Rom: Mahdi ROM 4.4.2

mg2195
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2604

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovoxo. View Post
I'm thinking that when root is available a custom rom will definitely improve things. The sheer amount of bloatware is ridiculous and is bogging down the performance of the phone. A debloated rom might be the fix.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using xda premium
Root is already available and especially since there now appears to be a safe way to return to stock (kies or odin) you should now feel safer when manually debloating because fixing a softbrick is just a few clicks away

And to the op...I couldnt agree more about the keyboard...but as far as lag goes...I have yet to see any lag that so many are claiming to have and I havent even disabled or begun to remove any stock apps...so I guess I got lucky with my device

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
Wanna learn to develop/mod/do cool things? Check out this forum here on xda...its a great starting place full of helpful people! (its where i learned to compile from source :P)
Chef Central > Android
The Following User Says Thank You to mg2195 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

stevehkim
Old
Thanks Meter 751
I came from s2, s3, note, s4 and I love this thing. Root and tibu is your friend. This phone is a beast. Love the feel. The screen. No lag here bro.

S4 rooted. Lmt pied.

JKay Framework
Xposed
S4 Golden Eye Rom
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to stevehkim For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

raqball
Old
Thanks Meter 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by sal1311 View Post
I'm sorry I've been a galaxy user for a long time and have never been let down until now. I have had the gs2 gs3 note and note 2. I have loved them all and didn't expect anything less out of the new gs4. Well I guess there is a first time for everything. This phone sucks plain and simple! It suffers from terrible lag when scrolling through the web. The pinch to zoom is terrible and slow. Yea the features are cool but who's ever really going to use them? You would think that maybe with all the new software samsung has introduced they would have taken a little time to give us a better keyboard with an auto correct feature. Even while typing the thread my phone is suffering from terrible lag and just can't keep up with me.

Htc one. I have that as well and I'm trying to decide which to keep. Its smooth as silk and works as it should. I'm trying to persuade myself to keep the galaxy s4 hoping that a patch will be issued and alot of these issues will be fixed. I'm having a hard time doing it though because the htc is really perfect aside from button placement and size.
I want to love the S4. Nice big 5" screen, I don't really mind TW, decent camera, size and weight are perfect for me but man the lag is horrendous!

I have rooted and froze 73 apps in titanium yet it still has some lag. It's quite sad actually..

I realize part of the lag is 4.2.2 but good grief!

I am actually thinking about returning it for a Nexus 4 or maybe wait a little and see what the Nexus 5 has to offer..
--Google Nexus 5
--Google Glass XE
--Google Chromebook Pixel

sal1311
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Underground_XI View Post
If you really have been using those devices you mention then you should know that all the issues you say you are experiencing can be easily solved by update or by rooting the device and getting rid of bloat. S4 is a beast hardware wise.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium
I know that an update can fix things. My problem is patience and waiting for that update to be released. Its a real shame that a phone with such amazing specs just can't do what its supposed to do without lag and issues. As far as rooting goes in sure that many people on this forum are familiar with it but I'm not. Why can't the device come out of the box working like it should?!?!!! The htc does work and works well. If not for the. 3" and button layout the gs4 would already be back in the box of the way to att return dept.
The Following User Says Thank You to sal1311 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

damon20r
Old
Thanks Meter 6
The same goes for me being very disappointed. I had the Captivate, S2, dad has S3, wife has a Note 2 and all have been good phones. I love my wife's Note 2 but can't deal with a phone that big. My biggest problem with the S4 is the battery life mine is getting. I can barely get more than an hour screen time. Right now my phone is at 15% with 1:20 screen time that accounts for 40% of the battery after 10 hrs unplugged. I'm tired of constantly tweaking roms, I just want a phone that works all day without me having to install a custom rom.
SGH-I337 Galaxy S4
Stock

SGH-I317 Note 2 (Wife's)
Stock

SGH-I897 Captivate Serendipity 6.2 (Son's toy phone)
SGH-I777 SGS2 Rom - AOKP JB Kernel - Siyah (Retired)
Atrix (wife's) (Retired) Stock Rooted

j510
Old
Thanks Meter 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by sal1311 View Post
I know that an update can fix things. My problem is patience and waiting for that update to be released. Its a real shame that a phone with such amazing specs just can't do what its supposed to do without lag and issues. As far as rooting goes in sure that many people on this forum are familiar with it but I'm not. Why can't the device come out of the box working like it should?!?!!! The htc does work and works well. If not for the. 3" and button layout the gs4 would already be back in the box of the way to att return dept.
Sad to say it requires any tampering (root, app disabling, or cfw) to get it running smooth. Hopefully a Very soon update will smooth it out without killing battery life. Another thing that's crazy is this phone is clocked .2 higher than the htc one and optimus g pro but still lags like crazy

corcgaigh
Old
Thanks Meter 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by j510 View Post
Sad to say it requires any tampering (root, app disabling, or cfw) to get it running smooth. Hopefully a Very soon update will smooth it out without killing battery life. Another thing that's crazy is this phone is clocked .2 higher than the htc one and optimus g pro but still lags like crazy
Agreed. There should be no need for disabling apps/removing bloat or installing custom roms to get this phone working smoothly. Its got the hardware no doubt but something is definitely wrong when a flagship phone with these specs doesn't work smoothly out of the box. HTC seem to have got it right software wise. Its clocked lower with the same processor and is buttery smooth and almost benches as high running at 1.5

SENT FROM MY LTEVO

The Following User Says Thank You to corcgaigh For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]