Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,912 Members 40,847 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Jailbreak]Take Note Verizon - Root/Jailbreak/Recovery

Tip us?

AdamOutler
Old
(Last edited by AdamOutler; 23rd January 2014 at 02:12 PM.)
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 9556

DONATE TO ME
Default [Jailbreak]Take Note Verizon - Root/Jailbreak/Recovery

Update: this will not work on the recent firmware updates.

Hey, you can't jailbreak an Android.. yeah, i know, but "Jailbreak" is a protected act under the USA DMCA Exemption of 2012 and "Unlocking" is illegal without carrier permission. There will be no misunderstandings here.

WARNING:
This is not a normal bootloader unlock. This is even higher. It's an IROM unlock. This device went from the most secure Galaxy Note 10.1 to the least secure. After performing the technique in this thread your device will allow you to flash a Justin Beiber MP3 over your bootloaders (that means a hard brick). BE VERY CAREFUL and never flash with Odin or Heimdall unless you're absolutely sure it is intended for a SCH-I925. Odin or Heimdall can easily brick your device.

Introduction
CASUAL will guide you through the process of unlocking your bootloader using exploits developed by Lee Harrison. It works on Windows, Linux, and Mac. Put your device into “Developer Mode>USB Debugging”. Click the do it button. Any problems will be addressed with updates. See the About CASUAL section below.

Overview
You are expected to be STOCK.... Stock anything, but stock. This will install a stock kernel and that may affect non-stock roms. You will need to download and execute the CASUAL application below. Make sure you're connected to the internet. Then click the Do It! button. You need Java. Do you have Java?.

Windows 32/64 Users: CASUAL will put your device into Download Mode. It will automatically flash everything. If drivers are required, jrloper's CADI (CASUAL Automated Driver installer) will handle it. Make sure you're connected to the internet.

Linux 32/64/raspberry pi Users There may be a permission escalation in order to install heimdall, either way sit back and relax. CASUAL automates the entire process.
Please run the following in a terminal first:

Mac Users: Mac works easierr than any other system at the time of this release on 32bit systems. Please report problems.

Download
Take Note Verizon CASUAL(R478b) CASUAL is used to automate the process. The exploit was developed by Elite Recognized Developer Ralekdev and packaged by AdamOutler. To run CASUAL you need Java. Do you have Java?

Note: Please don't mirror this file. Link to this thread for download. d-h.st is a fast server. If I find people mirroring old versions of CASUAL, i will throw the killswitch and their browser will bring them back here to download the new one so they end up downloading it twice, otherwise I have to support multiple versions.

Videos
Demonstration on Linux. It is roughlty the same on Windows and Mac, but if anyone wants to make a video I will put it here.

About CASUAL
CASUAL stands for Cross-platform ADB Scripting, Univeral Android Loader. CASUAL jar files are a wrapper for the CASUAL scripting language. CASUAL allows rapid and accurate deployment of hacks and exploits. CASUAL is an Open Format, meaning, you can find out as much as you need to about how it works because they're easily taken apart and modified with WinZip. CASUAL is also secure. At any time, if a serious problem is detected with any script, the kill-switch will be flipped and you will be brought to a support page (most likely here) so you can download the latest version. Otherwise for minor corrections, new CASUAL scripts can be deployed remotely.

Here's a picture of CASUAL and a Verizon GNote10.1 running Team Win Recovery

Change Log
3May13: Initial Release
6May13: Updated Recovery to support Internal SD. -R478b
Flash with Odin on Windows, Linux and Mac. Use JOdin3, Available in a web browser or offline
Check out my developer pages. Add me to your circles on Google Plus.
Wanna see the longest Linux BASH script ever made? click here.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to AdamOutler For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Ralekdev
Old
Senior Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 380

DONATE TO ME
This unlock was basically identical to the second Galaxy Note 2 unlock except I had to add a few more tweaks because we're shoving a modified N8010 bootloader onto the i925.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ralekdev For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

BeansTown106
Old
Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 17637
Location: Springfield, Ma Likes: AllianceRom :) Dislikes: Kangers

DONATE TO ME
great work guys as usual! you guys never cease to amaze me

My Github: https://github.com/beanstown106
Follow me: @BeansTown106 or +BeansTown106
Current Device's: Verizon Galaxy S5, Note 3, T-Mobile Galaxy S5
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BeansTown106 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

JasonGeiger
Old
Thanks Meter 82
Does this install the same TWRP version as Dees-Troy is working on in this forum? Just curious because that one is pretty rough with touch issues and it would be great to have a more functional one. I have the 8013...

Sent from my note 2

pro_b
Old
Thanks Meter 76
I have the U.S. Cellular i925u. Is there anyway to get this to work. I'm not interested in keeping the 4g capability. I'm ok with using WiFi only. I tried using the Casual install but it failed.

AdamOutler
Old
(Last edited by AdamOutler; 5th May 2013 at 04:14 AM.)
Thanks Meter 9556

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonGeiger View Post
Does this install the same TWRP version as Dees-Troy is working on in this forum? Just curious because that one is pretty rough with touch issues and it would be great to have a more functional one. I have the 8013...

Sent from my note 2
This was packaged from the TWRP nightly released last night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro_b View Post
I have the U.S. Cellular i925u. Is there anyway to get this to work. I'm not interested in keeping the 4g capability. I'm ok with using WiFi only. I tried using the Casual install but it failed.
CASUAL will let you root, but it won't install files that will damage your device. Even if it would, it's a bad idea. This is an IROM unlock, intended for Verizon devices only. IROM unlock means you can flash anything you want including files that destory your device.

You don't need this if you can flash custom kernels and ROMs. We have taken down all defenses here. If the U.S. Cellular version is locked down and you cant flash kernels/ROMs without it, I can release a new, updated version.
Flash with Odin on Windows, Linux and Mac. Use JOdin3, Available in a web browser or offline

Spectredroid
Old
Thanks Meter 93

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanstown106 View Post
great work guys as usual! you guys never cease to amaze me
This is so awesome man. Great stuff, beans is right, you guys really never cease to amaze. Now I need jellybeans Rom on my jail broken note 10.1. Ahem..................... I think we know who I'm talking to.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
Phones:
Moto Startac, Nokia 8290, Motorola Razor (Original Flip Phone),
HTC Touch Pro, Samsung Omnia, HTC Touch Pro 2,
Motorola D1, Motorola Droid X, HTC Thunderbolt,
Droid Charge, LG Revolution, Motorola Droid Bionic,
Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy S3, Motorola Razr, Note 2
Galaxy Note 3 rooted!- current

Tablets:
Vsonic GTab, Nook Color, Xoom,
Kindle Fire, GTab 10.1, GTab 8.9,
Tformer Prime, Sam Ser 7, GNote 10.1, Surface Pro
GNote 10.1 2014- current

None with a valid warranty.
The Following User Says Thank You to Spectredroid For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

pro_b
Old
Thanks Meter 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamOutler View Post
This was packaged from the TWRP nightly released last night.

CASUAL will let you root, but it won't install files that will damage your device. Even if it would, it's a bad idea. This is an IROM unlock, intended for Verizon devices only. IROM unlock means you can flash anything you want including files that destory your device.

You don't need this if you can flash custom kernels and ROMs. We have taken down all defenses here. If the U.S. Cellular version is locked down and you cant flash kernels/ROMs without it, I can release a new, updated version.
Thanks Sir. The U.S. Cellular version is locked down like the Verizon version as far as I can tell. Since the US Carriers decided to do the same crap with the bootloaders. I have root using framaroot but I'm unable to install a recovery or flash a kernel.

AdamOutler
Old
Thanks Meter 9556

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by pro_b View Post
Thanks Sir. The U.S. Cellular version is locked down like the Verizon version as far as I can tell. Since the US Carriers decided to do the same crap with the bootloaders. I have root using framaroot but I'm unable to install a recovery or flash a kernel.
Hit me up on an email with the output of terminal emulator command "cat /system/build.prop"

rspong
Old
(Last edited by rspong; 6th May 2013 at 03:17 PM.)
Thanks Meter 7
Update: rebooted windows 8 and the install went through fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	error casual.jpg
Views:	1138
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	1938499