No registration required

[Info] Rooting will be impossible on newer stock kernels

OP AndreiLux

4th May 2013, 03:01 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 13,913

2,888 posts
Donate to Me
I just noticed when sniffing the new 9500UBUAMDK kernel is that they activated a new "feature" / CONFIG_SEC_RESTRICT_SETUID in the kernel.

This means no more rooting is possible, at least not anymore in the usual methods. Your SuperUser will tell you it will have granted access, but it's neutered on the kernel level.

There is the exception of allowing /system/bin/pppd to gain root access so somebody will want to maybe replace that somehow to gain it as an entry-point. Somebody will want to check that.

This doesn't apply to custom compiled kernels which disable this config option.
Last edited by AndreiLux; 4th May 2013 at 03:13 PM.
The Following 34 Users Say Thank You to AndreiLux For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th May 2013, 03:10 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 87

779 posts
Omg.......hope somebody can bypass that one.......sad news for me.....XXUAMDL now....arghhhh

Sent from my GT-I9500 using xda premium
4th May 2013, 03:23 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 1,000

2,051 posts
Donate to Me
This makes sense cause I flashed MDM for I9505, I used djembey's modfied stock root and apparantley it works, well yeh it works but that because it reverted my kernel back to an older version it didn't actually root the current kernel it reverted back to the older kernel. Because my rom was dated 12th April after i updated the firmware it was 25th april. Then I used the Modified root that is meant to work on all firmwares, I checked the date of the kernel after i rooted and I am now back to the 12th.
4th May 2013, 03:30 PM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor
London, UK
Thanks Meter: 6,415

3,235 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreiLux

I just noticed when sniffing the new 9500UBUAMDK kernel is that they activated a new "feature" / CONFIG_SEC_RESTRICT_SETUID in the kernel.

This means no more rooting is possible, at least not anymore in the usual methods. Your SuperUser will tell you it will have granted access, but it's neutered on the kernel level.

There is the exception of allowing /system/bin/pppd to gain root access so somebody will want to maybe replace that somehow to gain it as an entry-point. Somebody will want to check that.

CORRECT!!
I've tested it and it's true.... I9505 STOCK Kernel for new builds MDM/MDN has been LOCKED as well....
My solution is to use Kernel from builds up to MDF and include it into CF-AutoRoot package and it WORKS like charm... (Future proof..)
BTW, they have changed something in system.img.ext4 as well!! Checksum added or something like this, if you re-build it, whole integrity is broken... SYSTEM IS LOCKED!!
CSC is impossible to apply usual way, I've implanted it into system and modified to achieve HD Voice support on all networks.. NOTHING can be added to it afterwards..
Last edited by DjeMBeY; 4th May 2013 at 03:43 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DjeMBeY For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th May 2013, 03:38 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 784

3,267 posts
More
Ahhh, this is why I'm getting the following error, damnit!

"BusyBox works but the "su" command does not elevate to root. There's something wrong with your "su" binary and/or "Superuser" app."
The Following User Says Thank You to cmd512 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th May 2013, 03:55 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 35

159 posts
I am sure other methods will be found soon. u know u can count on the good folks here at xda.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vdhawwan For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th May 2013, 05:19 PM   |  #7  
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 135

207 posts
More
removed
4th May 2013, 05:22 PM   |  #8  
Flag Riyadh
Thanks Meter: 1,888

4,675 posts
More
WOW

great work Samsung
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yahyoh For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th May 2013, 05:48 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 53

51 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreiLux

Damn!.. I updated my GS4 from UBUAMDE to UBUAMDK and was just now planning to root it when i saw this post.. *sigh*... Nonetheless,thank you for the information and insight kind sir, and I hope there will be a workaround soon for root access *fingers crossed*
Last edited by yonoshiro; 4th May 2013 at 05:59 PM.
4th May 2013, 05:53 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 239

1,001 posts
Well can we just flash a rooted rom from recovery?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread