[GUIDE] How to root Samsung Galaxy S4 (GT-I9505 and GT-I9500)
Let's move on!
There is several methods of achieving root access on SGS 4 and several guides on this subject, but for sake of simplicity we
will use here easiest and simplest way.
Recognized xda developer Dan Rosenberg (@djrbliss
) has recently published his exploit for
series of Motorola devices but it's obvious that this exploit works on wide range devices including SGS 4 by exploiting vulnerability in /dev/graphics/fb0.
For more detailed information about how motochopper works please read post from SW686 here on xda forum
I'v tested this method on SGS 4 (GT-I9505) with Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 but it should work on GT-I9500 with Samsung Exynos processor.
Software build on which exploit was tested is XXUAMDF.
Advantages of this method to achieve root access on SGS4 are following:
No need to flash trough ODIN.
Simple one click method.
1. First make sure that You have samsung adb drivers installed! If not please download and install them from here
or install Samsung Kies
application which will also install adb drivers.
Senior xda member daerragh has provided very nice tutorial how to do it.
2. Download motochopper exploit from here
and place it on Your Desktop.
3. Unzip motochopper with Your favorit archiving program or simply by using windows bulit in funcionality (Extract all)
4. Enable on Your phone USB development mode
Open up your device’s “Settings->Click on More as shown on picture 1 and then select About device”.
At the “About” screen, scroll to the bottom and tap on “Build number” seven (7) times.
Make sure you tap seven times. If you see a “You are now a developer!” message pop up, then you know you have done it correctly.
By tapping on “Build number” seven times, you have unlocked USB debugging mode on Android 4.2 and higher.
You can now enable/disable it whenever you desire by going to “Settings” -> “Developer Options” -> “Debugging” ->” USB debugging”.
5. Connect Your SGS4 to computer via USB cable.
6. Verify that Your USB drivers are installed correctly by opening command prompt (press windows key + r) and navigate to the folder in which
You extracted motochopper.
In cmd prompt type
If Your cmd prompts looks like this then You may proceed with next step.
If you don't have output from command adb devices which shows Your device check Your Samsung driver installation, check connectivity (try replacing cable) etc.
7. Time for grand finale, type in cmd prompt
and follow instructions on the screen.
Feel free to post any suggestion or updates on this thread.