Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,247 Members 47,607 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Overclocking XDA2 to 796 Mhz!

Tip us?

mamaich
Old
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 214

DONATE TO ME
Default Overclocking XDA2 to 796 Mhz!

After playing with PocketHackMaster, XCPUScalar I've found that noone of them was able to overclock my device reliably. So I've wrote my own program that uses undocummented OEMSetCpuFrequency IOCTL of NK.EXE. Program can be downloaded from http://mamaich.kasone.com/imate/Overclock.rar
I can send source code on request. Use this program at your own risk and backup before running it.
Program allows to manually adjust L, M, N parameters for Imate running 1.72 ROM (I have not tested older ROMs). The L parameter modifies SDRAM frequency (36 is a maximal value for my device), M - is a CPU frequency multiplier (shoul be left as a 4), N is a turbo mode for a normal mode multiplier. Setting its value to 1.5 makes the device work slower (though reported speed by PocketHackMaster and other tools is 796Mhz). My best results are 36/4/1 (530 Mhz) as shown on screenshots:

You may try other values. The smaller values may give the higher speed.

azbro
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Cool..I'm trying it out...seems faster...but is it my mind playing tricks?
I'm using 1.66 and i set the overclock same as above.

I tried it many times and most of the benchmarks readings differ a bit.
Anyhow Checkout my test results....

Standard XDAII___________________After Overclock

Hmm...seems like the Standard XDAII is giving better results...but then again, I really dunno what all this mean....

Can someone explain it to me...errr in simple english please?

And one more thing,seems like the settings will change back everytime it is closed (by clicking 'OK' on top). Is the oveclock still running then?
All OS's are playwrights and all PDA are lousy actors.

unapproachable2kx
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Very thankful Mamaich! ..You are a good man..respect you.

Ser

mamaich
Old
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 214

DONATE TO ME
I have not tested old ROMs like 1.66, but in my 1.72 overclocking is kept after the program is closed. Overclocking may reset after device goes into sleep state or when inserted into cradle. This is not tested.
Overclocking to 796 Mhs makes the device work slower than on 530 Mhz, I don't know why.

draxos
Old
Thanks Meter 0
mamaich ..

Does it Work "Reliably" on the XDA-1, Running ROM Ver 3.17.03 ??

Thanx
A man said to the universe:
"Sir I exist!"..
"However," replied the universe,
"The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation."

unapproachable2kx
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Yeah,it takes the speed you choosed when you tep OK on 1.72 ROM.
My problem is that on 530Mhz my XDA2 freezes on Hard Processing Applications..like Windows Media Player,Pocket Quake,Etc..
Do you think is related to applications I have in background like: Spb Pocket Plus-MultIE and Caller ID monitor?
Someone can confirm that your ppc runs with no problems on 530mhz and more? if yes,what app do you have in background?
thanx

WeatherB
Old
Thanks Meter 3
I think it is the same with overclocking computers... has to do with the fact that every processor is a different grade, all can run the 400mhz no problem, but only a few can do 530 without crashing.

Crashing or resetting is a sign that you've gone too far; usually you can overcome this by increasing the voltage of the CPU, but don't have that option in PPC.

unapproachable2kx
Old
Thanks Meter 9
I've asked this because many users runs 530mhz and more frequencies without problems.
That annoing me..I've removed all the background progs.. Tested many times with GX Benchmark whitout probs but when I run Windows Media Player it freezes after 30-40 sec.
Note: Only if I play a video file,like 300kbps..
Or if I play Quake,it freezes instantly.
In Os menu it runs very fast,but ..who want that if u can't run great games with this Clock.. :?
Let me know if your XDA2 supports this,maybe try also play a videofile about 300kbps for a minute..and let me know..

thanx

sleepnow
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Using XCPUScalar I can run most things including games very well @472 and 530, but at neither Windows Media Player nor Pocket Player seem to like it. They'll often go to the next song 10-seconds to 1 minutes into it, and sometimes it will shut itself down. I would seriosuly recommend against overclocking to 700+ Mhz though unless you enjoy buying new phones.

WeatherB
Old
Thanks Meter 3
I had the same problem with overclocking my Audiovox PPC 5050 to 530MHz. It would freeze after a few minutes of playing MP3s.