5,598,542 Members 44,759 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[KERNEL] Stock Touchwiz MDB - SetUID Restriction Removed

Tip us?

mattlgroff
Old
(Last edited by mattlgroff; 12th May 2013 at 03:13 AM.)
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 2339

DONATE TO ME
Default [KERNEL] Stock Touchwiz MDB - SetUID Restriction Removed

I am not responsible for anything you do with your device. Anything you or someone else flashes or modifies on your device or someone else's device is not my fault or responsibility to fix (or break).

What is this?
SGH-M919V_JB_Opensource.zip [MDB Version] compiled with the defconfig grabbed from May 7th OTA - M919UVUAMDL. You can grab the source like I did, from opensource.samsung.com. Defconfig was the only change, since CONFIG_SEC_RESTRICT_SETUID was already commented out from the source linked previously. Modules are also included from this kernel source, same link as previously as well.
Flash this if you want to have a non-SetUID restricted kernel compatible with the May 7th OTA - M919UVUAMDL and you don't want to flash the old boot.img which is done in my root thread.

Downloads
Mirror 1 - Dev-Host
Mirror 2 - Batakang

Source
Github

Instructions
  1. Flash in the Custom Recovery of your choice.
  2. If you aren't already rooted, flash a Root.zip such as SuperuSu by Chainfire or Superuser by Koush.
  3. Reboot and enjoy.

Tested On
  • M919UVUAMDB
  • M919UVUAMDL

Be Advised
SDCard's using exFat will not work with this kernel.
Flasher updated, now will not remove all modules in system, but will just overwrite the ones made by Samsung Open Source. This way you don't need to flash exFat modules separately. You can still do so if you want.
The exFat kernel module is not open source and thus is not included in this. You can flash this to get exFat working if it is not..

Screenshots

Thanks to Shabbypenguin for advice on defconfig and modules. Hope this helps someone, and if it did, use the Thanks button.

Please do not Personal Message me for help or troubleshooting. They will be ignored.
Owner of Batakang. Recognized Developer at XDA
You can find forum sections for the T-Mobile Prism II over at Droid-Hive under The Batcave.
The Following 39 Users Say Thank You to mattlgroff For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

youngwake
Old
(Last edited by youngwake; 10th May 2013 at 03:43 AM.)
Thanks Meter 18
This will work if you didn't OTA?

mattlgroff
Old
(Last edited by mattlgroff; 10th May 2013 at 04:31 AM.)
Thanks Meter 2339

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngwake View Post
This will work if you didn't OTA?
(Please don't quote the entire OP...)

Haven't tested on original firmware, only the OTA. Would be nice to have someone try it out and see.

EDIT: Original firmware now tested.

Please do not Personal Message me for help or troubleshooting. They will be ignored.
You can find forum sections for the T-Mobile Prism II over at Droid-Hive under The Batcave.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mattlgroff For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

djfreaq
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattlgroff View Post
Flash this if you want to have a non-SetUID restricted kernel compatible with the May 7th OTA - M919UVUAMDL and you don't want to flash the old boot.img
This is greek to me.

I know you're busy. But could you explain the advantage of having a "non-SetUID restricted kernel" and "don't want to flash the old boot.img"?
The Following User Says Thank You to djfreaq For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mattlgroff
Old
Thanks Meter 2339

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by djfreaq View Post
This is greek to me.

I know you're busy. But could you explain the advantage of having a "non-SetUID restricted kernel" and "don't want to flash the old boot.img"?
"non-SetUID restricted kernel"
Being able to have root on the latest firmware.

"don't want to flash the old boot.img"
You can already root the latest firmware by running the ORIGINAL kernel that came with the phone.

Also, just updated OP tested on original firmware.

The Following User Says Thank You to mattlgroff For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

joemagistro
Old
Thanks Meter 348
nice work man...

just curious if you ever tried to mee with clock speed on our s4s????

mattlgroff
Old
Thanks Meter 2339

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemagistro View Post
nice work man...

just curious if you ever tried to mee with clock speed on our s4s????
It's already overclocked to 1.9 Ghz... I wouldn't be one to push it further.

The Following User Says Thank You to mattlgroff For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

djfreaq
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattlgroff View Post
"non-SetUID restricted kernel"
Being able to have root on the latest firmware.

"don't want to flash the old boot.img"
You can already root the latest firmware by running the ORIGINAL kernel that came with the phone.

Also, just updated OP tested on original firmware.

Nice. This is wonderful. Flashing now. Thank you for the clarification!

negerhab
Old
Thanks Meter 50
Confirmed working with M919UVUAMDL kernel, thank you!! It's good to be back in root land!!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using xda premium
The Following User Says Thank You to negerhab For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

The Root
Old
Thanks Meter 1712
Any improvement on old firmware? Haven't upgraded.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using xda app-developers app
Before blaming the dev consider that it might have been you. They probably know more and make fewer mistakes.

SGS4
Wicked