When I got the GS4, those same settings didn't work. I did some tinkering with the settings with this app on my GS4, and I've managed to get it working again.
In order for it to work, I highly recommend using a VPN on your phone so that all data is encrypted, hiding it from T-Mobile's sniffing to see if you're using a desktop browser. I use Private Internet Access to accomplish this, and have had no problems using their app running on my phone while tethering. I'm sure you can use other free alternatives, such as Hotspot Shield VPN, but I prefer PIA.
The settings I'm using are as follows:
- Device-Profile: Samsung Galaxy S3
- Setup-Method: Hostapd (master)
- Wifi Encryption Enabled
- Wireless Channel 1
- MSS clamping enabled
- Routing fix enabled
- Disable Wake-Lock enabled (aka, check the box)
You need root access for this to work
I've attached the version of the mod I'm using, I'm using Version 3.2-beta2-modv5 ***Synergized***, which I pulled straight from my Note 2 and installed on my GS4. If you want to download it yourself, the Note 2 post I mentioned above directs here as the place to get the mod.
Step by step instructions:
- BE ROOTED.
If you have not updated to the May 7th OTA update, rooting takes about 5 minutes and just a couple clicks. Follow the steps in this post.
If you have updated to the OTA, it's a few more steps. Root the OTA update using the steps here
- Install and configure Hotspot Shield VPN, or your VPN service of choice
- Download and install the tether mod (either download attached file in OP, or follow the link to download from the other post)
- Open tether mod, press menu, settings
- Configure the options mentioned in original post
- Run your VPN app before starting the tether.
- Start tethering