Post Reply

[REVIEW] Urban Armor Gear for the HTC One

OP _MetalHead_

11th May 2013, 05:31 PM   |  #1  
_MetalHead_'s Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Chicagoland
Thanks Meter: 2,220
 
5,391 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
More





Those who know me from the One X forums here know that I have a bit of a problem when it comes to purchasing cases- I can’t stop. I held a bunch of giveaways for the cases I didn’t use, and I still have about 20 of them sitting in a box. My problem was that I just couldn’t find the perfect case. I loved a lot of them, but I wouldn’t call any of them “perfect”. The same thing happened to me when I switched to the iPhone 5. My problem was compounded by the fact that there are just so many iPhone cases to choose from and I just had to have them all. I had purchased roughly 30 different cases before I came across the Urban Armor Gear case and it was quite literally the last case I ever bought. Well, maybe not literally because after purchasing my black UAG case I had to have one in white and moss as well. Not only that, I bought one for each of the guys that I work with and it became the official unofficial case of our company. I generally prefer my phones naked, but in the case of the iPhone, it felt incomplete without the UAG case on it. Once I put my UAG case on the iPhone, I NEVER took it off. Fast forward to present time and much to my excitement, Urban Armor Gear has a case for the HTC One and I must say- it’s every bit as good as the iPhone version and then some.

The UAG is a composite case with a hard outer shell fused to an impact resistant soft core, and has an awesome body armor pattern to it that makes it look and feel like a military device. There is also a faux bolt pattern that further adds to its rugged looks. The corners have added bumpers for extra protection. The designers of this case definitely deserve some props. While that look may not be everyone's cup of tea, it is EXACTLY what I am looking for in a case. It's badass.

Holding it in your hand, you can just feel the quality of this thing, it is the most well designed case I have ever come across, for ANY phone. As far as protection is concerned, I would group it with other composite cases like the OtterBox Commuter, Incipio DualPro (which I own for the One), and CaseMate Tough. Unlike those cases which are all two pieces, the UAG is a single piece allowing it to be much slimmer and less bulky than any of the others, without sacrificing durability or protection at all. In fact, I actually feel more comfortable with my phone in the UAG case than any of the others. I work a rough job and the potential to damage my phone lurks around every corner. I have zero concerns about the safety of my phone when it is protected with the UAG case.

A major problem that I have come across with cases for the One so far is the way that the power button/IR flasher is handled. Some cases block it completely, others have a complete cutout leaving the button fully exposed and making it uncomfortable to press. Neither is acceptable to me. The UAG case has no such problem. The design team really put their heads together with this one, and came out with an incredibly simple, yet ingenious design- they gave the case a raised power button for easy use, but cut a hole in it so the IR signal can still get through. Whoulda thunk it?? There is literally no decreased IR functionality and the power button is easier to press than without the case. Again, it’s brilliant.

There really isn’t much else to say about it, it’s hands down my favorite case ever (which says an AWFUL lot) and since it became available so soon after the phone’s launch it will probably save me a great deal of money and headaches because I’m not even searching for another case now. Crazy, right? There is not a single thing I would change about this case. It is currently available in 4 color varieties- Navigator (white), Scout (black), Outland (rust), and Aero (slate). I currently have the Navigator and have a Scout on its way.

The UAG strikes the perfect balance between design, comfort, functionality, and protection. It earns a PERFECT 10/10 stars and a wholehearted recommendation from your friendly neighborhood MetalHead. \m/

Get the UAG case from Urban Armor Gear’s website- http://www.urbanarmorgear.com/collections/htc-one
Last edited by _MetalHead_; 11th May 2013 at 05:43 PM.
The Following 28 Users Say Thank You to _MetalHead_ For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th May 2013, 06:18 PM   |  #2  
Senior Member
Flag Zürich
Thanks Meter: 47
 
329 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2011
Donate to Me
More
could you please post photos of your one with the cover on?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium
11th May 2013, 06:21 PM   |  #3  
_MetalHead_'s Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Chicagoland
Thanks Meter: 2,220
 
5,391 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by b3ndech0

could you please post photos of your one with the cover on?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

Here ya go. The last one shows how they handled the power button/IR flasher.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	8760
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	1954302   Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpg
Views:	8870
Size:	202.5 KB
ID:	1954303   Click image for larger version

Name:	image2.jpg
Views:	8883
Size:	197.0 KB
ID:	1954304   Click image for larger version

Name:	image4.jpg
Views:	9498
Size:	195.7 KB
ID:	1954305  
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to _MetalHead_ For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th May 2013, 06:45 PM   |  #4  
Senior Member
Flag Singapore
Thanks Meter: 46
 
280 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2010
More
i happen to love the industrial look too ordered the Navigator a few days back! Thanks for your review!
11th May 2013, 07:00 PM   |  #5  
_MetalHead_'s Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Chicagoland
Thanks Meter: 2,220
 
5,391 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelong87

i happen to love the industrial look too ordered the Navigator a few days back! Thanks for your review!

Industrial was the word I was looking for haha. Glad you have good taste in cases!

Sent from my HTC One using xda premium
11th May 2013, 07:13 PM   |  #6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 27
 
212 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2008
More
I had a UAG Aero case for my GS3 and absolutely loved it. Glad to see they're starting to ship for the HTC One. I will be ordering on as soon as they show up on Amazon. Can't say enough good things about this case. Love the finish and the way the buttons are easier to press.
11th May 2013, 07:20 PM   |  #7  
Eapolis's Avatar
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
12 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2013
More
Great review! I actually dig the look of the case it compliments the phone very well! It reminds me of a crazy PC case in some way.
11th May 2013, 07:20 PM   |  #8  
_MetalHead_'s Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Chicagoland
Thanks Meter: 2,220
 
5,391 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmm5157

I had a UAG Aero case for my GS3 and absolutely loved it. Glad to see they're starting to ship for the HTC One. I will be ordering on as soon as they show up on Amazon. Can't say enough good things about this case. Love the finish and the way the buttons are easier to press.

This is literally the only case I've ever bought that I have ZERO bad things to say about. If you loved it for the GS3 you'll definitely love it for the One.

Sent from my HTC One using xda premium
11th May 2013, 07:47 PM   |  #9  
ant78's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Manchester
Thanks Meter: 103
 
711 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2008
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by _MetalHead_






Those who know me from the One X forums here know that I have a bit of a problem when it comes to purchasing cases- I can’t stop. I held a bunch of giveaways for the cases I didn’t use, and I still have about 20 of them sitting in a box. My problem was that I just couldn’t find the perfect case. I loved a lot of them, but I wouldn’t call any of them “perfect”. The same thing happened to me when I switched to the iPhone 5. My problem was compounded by the fact that there are just so many iPhone cases to choose from and I just had to have them all. I had purchased roughly 30 different cases before I came across the Urban Armor Gear case and it was quite literally the last case I ever bought. Well, maybe not literally because after purchasing my black UAG case I had to have one in white and moss as well. Not only that, I bought one for each of the guys that I work with and it became the official unofficial case of our company. I generally prefer my phones naked, but in the case of the iPhone, it felt incomplete without the UAG case on it. Once I put my UAG case on the iPhone, I NEVER took it off. Fast forward to present time and much to my excitement, Urban Armor Gear has a case for the HTC One and I must say- it’s every bit as good as the iPhone version and then some.

The UAG is a composite case with a hard outer shell fused to an impact resistant soft core, and has an awesome body armor pattern to it that makes it look and feel like a military device. There is also a faux bolt pattern that further adds to its rugged looks. The corners have added bumpers for extra protection. The designers of this case definitely deserve some props. While that look may not be everyone's cup of tea, it is EXACTLY what I am looking for in a case. It's badass.

Holding it in your hand, you can just feel the quality of this thing, it is the most well designed case I have ever come across, for ANY phone. As far as protection is concerned, I would group it with other composite cases like the OtterBox Commuter, Incipio DualPro (which I own for the One), and CaseMate Tough. Unlike those cases which are all two pieces, the UAG is a single piece allowing it to be much slimmer and less bulky than any of the others, without sacrificing durability or protection at all. In fact, I actually feel more comfortable with my phone in the UAG case than any of the others. I work a rough job and the potential to damage my phone lurks around every corner. I have zero concerns about the safety of my phone when it is protected with the UAG case.

A major problem that I have come across with cases for the One so far is the way that the power button/IR flasher is handled. Some cases block it completely, others have a complete cutout leaving the button fully exposed and making it uncomfortable to press. Neither is acceptable to me. The UAG case has no such problem. The design team really put their heads together with this one, and came out with an incredibly simple, yet ingenious design- they gave the case a raised power button for easy use, but cut a hole in it so the IR signal can still get through. Whoulda thunk it?? There is literally no decreased IR functionality and the power button is easier to press than without the case. Again, it’s brilliant.

There really isn’t much else to say about it, it’s hands down my favorite case ever (which says an AWFUL lot) and since it became available so soon after the phone’s launch it will probably save me a great deal of money and headaches because I’m not even searching for another case now. Crazy, right? There is not a single thing I would change about this case. It is currently available in 4 color varieties- Navigator (white), Scout (black), Outland (rust), and Aero (slate). I currently have the Navigator and have a Scout on its way.

The UAG strikes the perfect balance between design, comfort, functionality, and protection. It earns a PERFECT 10/10 stars and a wholehearted recommendation from your friendly neighborhood MetalHead. \m/

Get the UAG case from Urban Armor Gear’s website- http://www.urbanarmorgear.com/collections/htc-one

you just sold it to me free int. shipping too
11th May 2013, 11:44 PM   |  #10  
_MetalHead_'s Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Chicagoland
Thanks Meter: 2,220
 
5,391 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ant78

you just sold it to me free int. shipping too

Sweet man! Happy to help!

The Following User Says Thank You to _MetalHead_ For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes