I love Sense... Confessions of a AOSP lover

12th May 2013, 07:07 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Mulberry, Florida
Thanks Meter: 446

1,701 posts
More
I've been a die hard AOSP guy. Came from a OG Droid then went to the Tbolt and helped port AOSP/Miui with that RIL but I hated it because it wasn't a full AOSP supported device. I got the Galaxy Nexus then a N7, N10 and finally a GSM Galaxy Nexus.

I swore I would be on AOSP the moment I got the device, but I held out. I tried it and I love it. There are some things I hate like the lack of quick notifications (4.2.2 issue more than anything) and a few quirks here and there. But I am in l am in love with the beautiful interface, perfect keyboard (AOSP, Swype, & Swiftkey had a three way and this is it's baby) and most of all I am in love with the gallery and camera app. It's a very intuitive interface on the camera although autofocus can be wonky. BUT that's all made up for by the gallery.... The events (initially annoying) is fantastic. I love Zoe because it adds just that little bit to the memory and I am loving the way highlights creates a montage of images to music. I wish the music had more choices but it is almost perfect. I have a 10 month old and it makes the memories that much more special...

Thanks HTC for putting your heart and soul into this device and coming out with the best smartphone I have ever used

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to altimax98 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th May 2013, 07:40 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 231

1,905 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by altimax98

There are some things I hate like the lack of quick notifications (4.2.2 issue more than anything)

you can expand some notifications in sense by zooming (pinching) out, there are no toggles though (altough older versions of sense used to have quick toggles before anyone else got them but somehow htc decided to ditch them in sense 4...)
12th May 2013, 08:12 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 8

58 posts
Until we get 4.2... I have WidgetLocker and NiLS that gives me notifications on the lock screen.
12th May 2013, 12:17 PM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer
Flag Timisoara
Thanks Meter: 667

878 posts
Donate to Me
More
Honestly, i am also an AOSP lover and i was pleasently surprised by sense 5, the only things that i miss now is the notification panel for my shortcuts, but i can get by pretty easy.

Also, hi there One community
12th May 2013, 12:46 PM   |  #5  
Flag Murcia
Thanks Meter: 235

749 posts
More
There is messing a lot of things on this unfortunate and basic sense 5. Widgets, most practical sense widgets gone, skins (there are not any) only three different a kinds of unlock, application list never gone, always there. If you close your phone and open it, application list is there. Like blink feed but useless if you cannot add more feeds... So sense is very nice but there is munch things that missing...
12th May 2013, 01:30 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 40

74 posts
Lightbulb
Quote:
Originally Posted by godutch

you can expand some notifications in sense by zooming (pinching) out, there are no toggles though (altough older versions of sense used to have quick toggles before anyone else got them but somehow htc decided to ditch them in sense 4...)

Use Power Toggles or Notification Toggles apps... download from PlayShop
12th May 2013, 01:38 PM   |  #7  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 14

82 posts
More
I agree, Sense 5 is much better than previous versions of sense, but the app drawer really doesn't do it for me, still prefer almost everything about AOSP
12th May 2013, 03:46 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 530

1,071 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by altimax98

I've been a die hard AOSP guy. Came from a OG Droid then went to the Tbolt and helped port AOSP/Miui with that RIL but I hated it because it wasn't a full AOSP supported device. I got the Galaxy Nexus then a N7, N10 and finally a GSM Galaxy Nexus.

I swore I would be on AOSP the moment I got the device, but I held out. I tried it and I love it. There are some things I hate like the lack of quick notifications (4.2.2 issue more than anything) and a few quirks here and there. But I am in l am in love with the beautiful interface, perfect keyboard (AOSP, Swype, & Swiftkey had a three way and this is it's baby) and most of all I am in love with the gallery and camera app. It's a very intuitive interface on the camera although autofocus can be wonky. BUT that's all made up for by the gallery.... The events (initially annoying) is fantastic. I love Zoe because it adds just that little bit to the memory and I am loving the way highlights creates a montage of images to music. I wish the music had more choices but it is almost perfect. I have a 10 month old and it makes the memories that much more special...

Thanks HTC for putting your heart and soul into this device and coming out with the best smartphone I have ever used

I'm right there with you. I usually prefer the look and feel of AOSP - I couldn't stand Sense 4 or Sense 4+ - but Sense 5 is surprisingly good. It's almost as coheisve of a user experience as AOSP, if not more so.

I prefer a few things about Sense to AOSP Ė most notably the camera and the e-mail app. It also has some nice widgets, though nothing I couldnít live without. Iíve actually come to kind-of like Blinkfeed when I have a few minutes to kill, but again, itís nothing I couldnít live without.

Occasionally, it even feels more cohesive than AOSP Ė for example, you can swipe left and right through e-mails in the e-mail app, the same way you can in the Gmail app. The last time I tried the AOSP Android mail client, it still didnít support that, which was mildly infuriating.

Finally, Sense 5 is at least polite enough to try and compliment the Holo theme of AOSP Ė TouchWiz and Sense 4, on the other hand, look and feel like someone glued Gingerbread to Jellybean.

(I will still be SwiftKey 4 Life, though :P)
12th May 2013, 04:27 PM   |  #9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Mulberry, Florida
Thanks Meter: 446

1,701 posts
More
I never even setup Blink Feed... Thought it was stupid from the get go.

I installed Nova and have been loving the drawer and all the other great features.. the stock app drawer is lame though

13th May 2013, 06:25 AM   |  #10  
Flag Essex
Thanks Meter: 34

282 posts
More
Yeah I'm not a fan of Sense and put another launcher on pretty quickly. I would love to move to something like CM10 but until I hear things like the camera has no loss in quality or the IR sender is working then it's a no go. I just hope that HTC at some point change the layout and allow the notification panels. Also their lockscreen is like arse!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread

Top Threads in One General by ThreadRank