Gmail 5.0: Material Design and Multiple Account Support

Google started to materialize many of its applications right after announcing the … more

Some of Our Favorite Features in Android 5.0 Lollipop

Android 5.0 Lollipop is the latest major revision to Google’s mobile operating … more

Sony SmartEyeglass SDK Developer Preview Released

A little over a month ago in Tokyo, Japan, Sony unveiled its new SmartEyeglasstechnology. … more

XDA and Leaseweb: Server Trial/Moto 360 Contest (Winners!)

About a month ago, we held a contest along with XDA’s host, Leaseweb, to … more

Should I root my S4? Looking for advice

OP OnSugarHill

16th May 2013, 08:34 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 6

68 posts
Ok so this S4 is pretty much the first real smart phone I've ever owned. I've often heard that rooting a device is a great way to go for an android phone. Now could someone explain exactly what rooting it does? It is supposed to basically format the phone and install a stock android OS, right? It will get rid of all the bloatware from Samsung/AT&T?

Are there any disadvantages to rooting it? Am I in any danger of my phone losing functionality? Will I still be able to use all the same settings like the eye detection, or the motion gestures, and the camera will still be the same?
16th May 2013, 08:51 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 12

90 posts
More
Root is like admin access in Windows. It will not format your phone if you root. It also voids the warranty.

There's tons of info out there about the pros and cons of rooting. When I got my Captivate all I did was read because most of the time... The question i wanted to ask had already been answered. Read as much as you can on here and Google. It will help a lot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using xda app-developers app
16th May 2013, 09:14 AM   |  #3  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 6

68 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAID Xero

Root is like admin access in Windows. It will not format your phone if you root. It also voids the warranty.

There's tons of info out there about the pros and cons of rooting. When I got my Captivate all I did was read because most of the time... The question i wanted to ask had already been answered. Read as much as you can on here and Google. It will help a lot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using xda app-developers app

I've read up on it a bit, but not a whole lot. Honestly the main reason I was hoping to root is to free up some space. Do you know approximately how much space I would have if I rooted my S4? Currently have about 8 out of 16 GB being used by the OS/Software
16th May 2013, 12:08 PM   |  #4  
Flag Boston, MA
Thanks Meter: 615

1,462 posts
Donate to Me
More
You've got a lot of reading to do. And when you think you've read enough, read some more.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to plwalsh88 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th May 2013, 12:28 PM   |  #5  
RC-RT Committee / Senior Moderator / Spider-Mod
Flag Right behind you!
Thanks Meter: 26,536

28,367 posts
Donate to Me
More
Please read forum rules before posting
Questions and help issues go in Q&A
Thread moved
Thank you for your cooperation
Friendly Neighborhood Moderator
16th May 2013, 03:15 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 12

90 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnSugarHill

I've read up on it a bit, but not a whole lot. Honestly the main reason I was hoping to root is to free up some space. Do you know approximately how much space I would have if I rooted my S4? Currently have about 8 out of 16 GB being used by the OS/Software

Your free space depends on how many (and the size) of the apps you remove. It's not like you're going to get root then more space just appears.
I can't find the other thread, but here's a good place to start on what apps on be removed.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2254143

BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING... read. With root access you can really screw up your phone if you don't know what you're doing or what you're removing.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread