[Q] Signal issues with Samsung Galaxy S4

OP ujameel@hotmail.com

21st May 2013, 10:35 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

6 posts
Hello Everyone,

I recently purchased a Samsung Galaxy S4, but instead of enjoying my new toy , I have been busy troubleshooting a weird problem.

I am using a lyca mobile sim in my phone (lyca mobile here in Australia uses telstra as the provider) . Well the issue here is I get proper signals for a while and when I lose connectivity or lost signal usually all mobiles re-register themselves over the network. In my case I have to either re start my phone or turn my aeroplane mode on and disable it again to get back my signals.

Have tried everything I could

1. Force reboot
2. enable data roaming
3. Manually selecting Network
4.Changed my SIM card( though havent tried another provider as telstra has very good coverage here)

Appreciate if anyone can help me here or sud it be a problem with handset then will proceed with replace ment

Thanks
21st May 2013, 10:43 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 36

321 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ujameel@hotmail.com

Hello Everyone,

I recently purchased a Samsung Galaxy S4, but instead of enjoying my new toy , I have been busy troubleshooting a weird problem.

I am using a lyca mobile sim in my phone (lyca mobile here in Australia uses telstra as the provider) . Well the issue here is I get proper signals for a while and when I lose connectivity or lost signal usually all mobiles re-register themselves over the network. In my case I have to either re start my phone or turn my aeroplane mode on and disable it again to get back my signals.

Have tried everything I could

1. Force reboot
2. enable data roaming
3. Manually selecting Network
4.Changed my SIM card( though havent tried another provider as telstra has very good coverage here)

Appreciate if anyone can help me here or sud it be a problem with handset then will proceed with replace ment

Thanks

I have the S4 on the UK "3" network and comparing the signal with that I enjoyed on the S3 it is unfortunately worse.
For example I have noticed that at least 20 % more of the time I get the dreaded circle with line through saying no service and it seems very slow to reconnect, although it does.
Of course when i do get a decent signal the data speed is way better and yet to experience 4g for a few months at least.
Hope that helps a bit
21st May 2013, 10:48 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

6 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBB823151

I have the S4 on the UK "3" network and comparing the signal with that I enjoyed on the S3 it is unfortunately worse.
For example I have noticed that at least 20 % more of the time I get the dreaded circle with line through saying no service and it seems very slow to reconnect, although it does.
Of course when i do get a decent signal the data speed is way better and yet to experience 4g for a few months at least.
Hope that helps a bit

Atleast you get back your signals with out constantly having to monitor and re start ur phone. I have to restart my phone once I see the dreaded circle.
21st May 2013, 10:49 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 1

11 posts
Battery Full
What version of Galaxy S4 are you using the 4G (i9505) or the 3G (i9500)?
If i9505, then is it the Australian version? or you import it, if you're using either the i9500 try setting up the appropriate APN from here.

http://ausdroid.net/apns/
21st May 2013, 10:55 AM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

6 posts
Question
[QUOTE=cold22;41666036]What version of Galaxy S4 are you using the 4G (i9505) or the 3G (i9500)?
If i9505, then is it the Australian version? or you import it, if you're using either the i9500 try setting up the appropriate APN from here.

Well its GT-I9500 model bought from kogan I am sure this must have been imported from Hong Kong. Will the APN still work?
21st May 2013, 10:59 AM   |  #6  

11 posts
Battery Full
[QUOTE=ujameel@hotmail.com;41666154]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cold22

What version of Galaxy S4 are you using the 4G (i9505) or the 3G (i9500)?

Well its GT-I9500 model bought from kogan I am sure this must have been imported from Hong Kong. Will the APN still work?

Actually try this one instead.

In the Menu go to Settings -> Wireless & networks-> Mobile networks -> Access Point Names -> add New APN and key the following settings

Internet APN Settings:
Name : Lyca AU
APN : data.lycamobile.com.au
Proxy : <Not Set>
Port : <Not Set>
Username : lmau
Password : plus
Server : <Not Set>
MMSC : <Not Set>
MMS Proxy : <Not Set>
MMS Port : <Not Set>
MCC : 505
MNC : 19
Authentication type : <Not Set>
APN Type : <Not Set>
The Following User Says Thank You to cold22 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st May 2013, 11:11 AM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member

6 posts
Red face
[QUOTE=cold22;41666231]
Quote:

In the Menu go to Settings -> Wireless & networks-> Mobile networks -> Access Point Names -> add New APN and key the following settings

Internet APN Settings:

Well as soon as I added the APN my internet data activated by itself, this was another problem I was facing where I was not able to get mobile dta even after turning on the data services. for my signal to be trust worthy sud I keep the data services turned on always?
21st May 2013, 11:39 AM   |  #8  
OP Junior Member

6 posts
[QUOTE=cold22;41666231]
Quote:

Internet APN Settings:

Unfortunately even after adding the APN the signal issue not resolved. Lost my connectivity and still waiting for the signals to get back. Looks like have to restart it again. Though adding APN resolved my packet data issue
23rd May 2013, 03:02 PM   |  #9  

9 posts
I have a similar issue

I've switched my phone to GSM only and its been working ever since.. Not Ideal but it may help trace the issue
The Following User Says Thank You to mattyg2004 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd May 2013, 06:51 PM   |  #10  

6 posts
I had a similar issue the other day when roaming in a different country in Europe. In my home network, I've never had that issue so far.

When roaming on a particular foreign network (Orange SK), the circle would show up and stay there until reboot (30+ mins), despite being in a very well-covered area (major city center). This has happened consistently over the course of 3 days. Manual selection of the network didn't help at that point, only reboot seems to cure the issue.

Not sure what the deal is, but it seems I'll have to keep an eye on the phone when roaming.

G.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread