Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,576 Members 43,853 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Galaxy S4 APNs for AT&T

Tip us?

jedinegotiator
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Default [Q] Galaxy S4 APNs for AT&T

I just got my Galaxy S4 yesterday and I am working on optimising it for speed and performance. One of the things that I noticed in the network settings is that I think I APN is set incorrectly.

I have a Nexus 4 and in order to get the best data speed I had to use the AT&T LTE APN or (PTA). I am assuming this should be the same on the Galaxy S4 yet when I go into my APN settings I have the AT&T PHONE APN.

It is my understanding that the Phone APN can only get HSPA+ and not LTE. Since this is an LTE phone shouldn't we use the PTA LTE APN?

daraj
Old
Thanks Meter 159

DONATE TO ME
I have ATT Phone as APN and I get LTE. Not sure about the other one you mentioned.
The Following User Says Thank You to daraj For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jedinegotiator
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by daraj View Post
I have ATT Phone as APN and I get LTE. Not sure about the other one you mentioned.
Maybe the PHONE APN is capable of receiving LTE but I am curious if the PTA APN would get faster data speeds.

RootzWiki http://rootzwiki.com/topic/31135-att...r-custom-roms/

This post indicates that the PTA APN gets (All the Mbps)

KroniK187
Old
Thanks Meter 28
Mine is using the PHONE APN and i have no problems getting LTE. Just did a speed test and i'm getting speeds of 50+Mbps over LTE so it seems to be working fine for me.

Jragyn
Old
Thanks Meter 25
PHONE is an APN that AT&T umbrella'd all types of data connectivity under. PHONE will automatically choose to connect to the fastest available network in your area. PTA is what they were putting on phones when LTE phones were first being released, but since then, PHONE is the primary APN one should be using. Using PTA won't hurt anything, and should work fine, but why bother if PHONE is already programmed in there.

At least, that's what they the us at my AT&T Data Support call center I work at :/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using xda premium
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jragyn For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

hyelton
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,420

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jragyn View Post
PHONE is an APN that AT&T umbrella'd all types of data connectivity under. PHONE will automatically choose to connect to the fastest available network in your area. PTA is what they were putting on phones when LTE phones were first being released, but since then, PHONE is the primary APN one should be using. Using PTA won't hurt anything, and should work fine, but why bother if PHONE is already programmed in there.

At least, that's what they the us at my AT&T Data Support call center I work at :/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using xda premium
And which is true.
My Build: ASRock 970 Extreme4 | Amd FX-6300 OC to 4.5Ghz | Nvidia GTX-650-Ti | 8GB 1600 | 120GB Samsung 840 SSD | 500GB Hard Drive | Windows 7 Pro | NZXT 810 White Case.
Current Phone: Sony Xperia Z1 (White)

Check out my Personal site and Photography www.hunterspad.com

Please Click Thanks If I helped you in any way!
If you need anything Hosted Or mirrored: Send a PM my Way
My Server Specs: 24X Intel Xeon E5-2620 2.1Ghz,32GB Ram,2TB HD

henrybravo
Old
Thanks Meter 615
Just FYI, on the HTC One there is absolutely no speed difference between the pta and phone apn's.
HTC One M8 s-off (U.S. AT&T version) running ViperOneM8 2.3.0 (2.22.401.5)
HTC One M7 s-off (U.S. AT&T version) running MaximusHD 44.0.0 (6.09.401.5)
Previous phones that have passed down to the kids:

Samsung Galaxy S III GT-i9300 running Omega 43.3 (XXEMC3) with Perseus kernel, JKay Deluxe framework and orangerot JKay AOSP theme
Samsung Galaxy S II GT-i9100 running WanamLite v13 LSJ
The Following User Says Thank You to henrybravo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sharpxia
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Can anyone post the PHONE APN setting, I am T-Mobile unlocked on AT&T need to enter that APN manually. Thanks!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using xda app-developers app

pakxelaos
Old
(Last edited by pakxelaos; 30th August 2013 at 05:52 PM.)
Thanks Meter 47
Here:
Name: ATT Phone
APN: phone
Proxy: Not set
Port : Not set
User name: Not set
Password: Not set
Server: Not set
MMSC: http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
MMS proxy: proxy.mobile.att.net
MMS port: 80
MCC: 310
MNC: 410
Authentication type: None
APN type: default,mms,supl,hipri
APN protocol: IPv4
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
Enable/disable APN: APN enabled
Bearer: Unspecified
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to pakxelaos For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rugmankc
Old
Thanks Meter 1,804
Thanks, that's what i got. wasn't sure if there is an issue as i never see hspa+ in dayton. at least not yet. it is an hspa+ area. so wondering what the issue is--

only hspa 11 and hspap 15

NOT 4g speeds as advertised
ATT Samsung Galaxy S4/Rooted/TWRP 2.5.0.2/Wanam Xposed, or Gravity Box/Long Time MultiRom Flasher/Waiting For The Note 4--The Game Changer