OP Senior Member
Flag New York City
Thanks Meter: 3,367

2,278 posts
Donate to Me
More
How to Root your Verizon Galaxy S4

***VRUAMDK Build Only! - Look for this***

Description: This is a simple guide that will allow you to easily root your Verizon Galaxy S4 device without having to wipe your device or flash a full prerooted factory image. This method works using a leaked prerelease kernel (provided by user sextape) and root method (provided by user djrbliss). Only change is I have modified the Motochopper root method to use the latest SuperSU instead.

Video Demo of the Full Process (Courtesy of DroidModd3rX)

Quote:

Quote:

***WARNING: DOES NOT WORK ON THE VRUAME7 BUILD***

If you have already updated to VRUAME7 BUILD please see link below for the NEW root method

Link to Thread

Step 1 - Preparation

Quote:

1. Download and Install Samsung Official USB Drivers - Link
  2. Download and extract ODIN v3.07 - Link
  3. Download the VRUAMD2 Prerelease Kernel - Link
  4. Download the Stock VRUAMDK Kernel for your phone - Link
  5. Download and extract the Motochopper Root Exploit Tool - Link

Step 2 - Flashing VRUAMD2 Prerelease Kernel to remove Root block

Quote:

• Boot phone into ODIN mode (See here for how-to)
  • Flash the VRUAMD2 Prerelease Kernel using ODIN v3.07 ***in PDA section only*** (See here for guide on flashing)
  • Boot back to Android and verifying everything is still working and kernel has flashed successfully

Step 3 - Rooting Your Device

Quote:

• Go into Settings > More > About phone > tap "Build number" about 7 times until it unlocks Developer options
  • Verify in Developer options setting on your device that you have "USB debugging" checked
  • Verify in Developer options setting on your device that you have "Verify apps via USB" unchecked
  • Verify in Security setting on your device that you have "Unknown sources" checked
  • Verify in Security setting on your device that you have "Verify apps" unchecked
  • Connect your phone to your computer and open "Run.bat" file from the location you have extracted motochopper to
  • You will see a message on the phone asking you to accept the new computer connection (select to always allow and select OK)
  • After motochopper runs and your phone reboots on its own, check if SuperSU has any update in the Play Store
  • Open SuperSU app and let the binary update itself to the latest ***VERY IMPORTANT OR YOU WILL LOSE ROOT ON STEP 4***
  • Once complete, just open a root application and verify that is able to access root properly

Step 4 - Restoring Stock Kernel

Quote:

• Boot phone into ODIN mode (See here for how-to)
  • Flash the Stock VRUAMDK Kernel using ODIN v3.07 ***in PDA section only*** (See here for guide on flashing)
  • Boot back to Android and verifying everything is still working and kernel has flashed successfully
  • After your phone boots back to Android, you should now be fully rooted and on the fully stock original firmware that came on your device

Step 5 - Restoring Custom Recovery (Optional)

Quote:

• Make sure you are rooted first using the above 4 steps first
  • For official TWRP Recovery follow the steps in this thread (or download from Goomanager): Link Here
  • For official ClockworkMod Recovery just download ROM Manager app and install from there
  • For CWM-based Recovery follow the steps in this thread: Link Here
  • For OUDHS Gesture Touch CWM-based Recovery follow the steps in this thread: Link Here

Credits

Credit goes to sextape for providing the VRUAMD2 Prerelease Kernel (Original Source)
Credit goes to sextape for providing the VRUAMDK Stock Firmware and Kernel (Original Source)
Credit goes to djrbliss for creating Motochopper Root Exploit Tool (Original Post)
Credit goes to cnlson for providing ftp filehosting (via PM)
Credit goes to ChainsDD for creating Superuser (Original Source)

Please note: Credit for this method goes entirely to the users who have created these tools and provided the files. I am only bringing together all these files and creating a simple guide for everyone to follow.
Last edited by open1your1eyes0; 27th July 2013 at 06:07 AM. Reason: Added bounty link
The Following 220 Users Say Thank You to open1your1eyes0 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd May 2013, 07:36 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 25

147 posts
Thank you for doing this! However, all of your links are making my Antivirus go nuts (which isnt normal, using Bit Defender)
The Following User Says Thank You to Proweedsmoker For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd May 2013, 07:50 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 0

33 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proweedsmoker

Thank you for doing this! However, all of your links are making my Antivirus go nuts (which isnt normal, using Bit Defender)

The motochopper link triggered mine. Followed the instructions and I had to run the motochopper run.bat twice, first time it installed Superuser.apk but it wasn't rooted. Second time everything worked perfectly, I am now rooted. Thanks!

--FCOD

Edit: Every reboot now, I get this notification "Detection information: The device has detected an application attempting unpermitted actions. To protect your devices, it is recommended you reboot". See attached screenshot. I can clear the notification without any issues, seemingly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-05-22-13-55-18.jpg
Views:	9015
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	1982879  
Last edited by flyingcowofdoom; 22nd May 2013 at 07:58 PM.
22nd May 2013, 07:52 PM   |  #4  
Flag California
Thanks Meter: 161

1,844 posts
More
sweet. will give it a whirl once i get off work!
22nd May 2013, 07:59 PM   |  #5  
Flag Schnecksville, PA
Thanks Meter: 119

1,098 posts
More
This worked for me this afternoon. As I mentioned in other threads if you're getting stuck at boot.img in Odin try using a USB port on the back of your PC. That was what did it for me (to get the kernel installed.) I did everything else from the back USB port as well and it went great.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cubs2008 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd May 2013, 08:00 PM   |  #6  

33 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubs2008

This worked for me this afternoon. As I mentioned in other threads if you're getting stuck at boot.img in Odin try using a USB port on the back of your PC. That was what did it for me (to get the kernel installed.) I did everything else from the back USB port as well and it went great.

I've found this to be true for many different phones. I ALWAYS use the back USB port!

--FCOD
22nd May 2013, 08:02 PM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member
Flag New York City
Thanks Meter: 3,367

2,278 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcowofdoom

Every reboot now, I get this notification "Detection information: The device has detected an application attempting unpermitted actions. To protect your devices, it is recommended you reboot". See attached screenshot. I can clear the notification without any issues, seemingly.

This message is actually related to SEAndroid. If you freeze the apk using an app like Titanium Backup, it should remove the message.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to open1your1eyes0 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd May 2013, 08:04 PM   |  #8  

33 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by open1your1eyes0

This message is actually related to SEAndroid. If you freeze the apk using an app like Titanium Backup, it should remove the message.

Sweet. Frozen, looks like the messages stopped. Thanks!

--FCOD
22nd May 2013, 08:56 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 25

147 posts
I know I have read somewhere about the "Boot unlock- Custom" message that appears when you boot the phone, could somebody point me in the right direction on how to fix this please? (Running stock softwear, no ROM yet)

Also, how would I go about switching the Superuser app to SuperSU? (I have the paid SuperSU I use from my tablet and want to use it with my new S4)- NVM- Chainfire made it all to easy for beginners like myself. SuperSU will overwrite and remove superuser automaticly for anybody else with this!
Last edited by Proweedsmoker; 22nd May 2013 at 09:12 PM.
22nd May 2013, 08:58 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 144

549 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by open1your1eyes0

I can confirm that freezing SEAndroid 1.0 removes the warning instantly

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
galaxy s4, motochopper, root, verizon, vruamd2
Previous Thread Next Thread