Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,856 Members 46,527 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Updated] List of major problems in S4

Tip us?

plasmastate
Old
(Last edited by plasmastate; 31st May 2013 at 08:53 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 107
Default [Updated] List of major problems in S4

Hi guys.
I am going to list the common issues with my i9500.
Got it 2 weeks back and have been testing it thoroughly. Currently on latest ME1 firmware.

1.Overheating

2.Camera Crash
2b. New crash issue: open camera, go to settings, press the mic (sound) button and the camera crashes.

3.Phone turns off all by itself.
(Hapenned twice in two weeks)

4.When the phone is turned on again, the battery levels jumps down to 10-15 percent less of what it was before. It is also displayed in the settings battery status graph.

5.When the volume is set to max during a call through earpiece, the slight vibration made because of the sound emission is felt on the back of the device (in a cheap way) every s4 has this issue.

6.Launcher redraw (Even after updated ME1 firmware but its improved and only seen when doing heavy muktitasking)

7. Screen smearing issue.

8. Slight pinkinsh/purple tone on the lower right half of the screen when the brightness is set to lowest.

9. Flash light less bright than other phones eg nexus or s3

10. Camera Lag when opening
10a. Shutter lag when taking photos

11. Gallery lag when opening

12. Dialer lag

13. Contact app lag

14. When the keyboard is popped out on say a white web page, the screen does a slight brightness adjustment that it almost feels like a screen flicker on low brightness. Then it changes colour tone from reddish to greenish.

15. Notification bar ocassionally stutters when pulled down or pushed back up.

Whoever gets any of these issues please keep confirming or adding any more issues I missed. All these issues are currently present in alot of brand new s4 units worldwide.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to plasmastate For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

DesertHawk
Old
Thanks Meter 5046

DONATE TO ME
Erm, I have come across any of these. Try this to reduce 'lag'

- Open S voice and go in to the S Voice settings and untick 'open via home button'

- Go to developer options and change all the animation/window/transition scales to 0.5x

See how that works. Also exchange it for a different S4 if you have those problems. Are you rooted? If so try stock rooted and see if that was a software issue

~ Taylor_Swift

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II GT-N7100 using XDA Premium HD
View My Threads

CM10.2 Official for LG G2 and Samsung Tablet UI for Galaxy Note II

Excelsus for Xperia Z

And LOTS MORE

Retired Developer | Ex-Recognized Developer | Xperia Z2 & Galaxy S5
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DesertHawk For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jim1h
Old
(Last edited by jim1h; 24th May 2013 at 11:01 AM.)
Thanks Meter 25
Shouldn't this thread be called "problems with my s4" I have none of these issues to date.

Oops sorry just realised you are talking about the i9500, if that makes any difference.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Vadrieldur
Old
Thanks Meter 58
The only problem i have so far is camera crash sometimes. Try to update your firmware to ME1.

azeter
Old
Thanks Meter 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vadrieldur View Post
The only problem i have so far is camera crash sometimes. Try to update your firmware to ME1.
Cant wait too do that but dont wanna root ME1 has resolved these issues for good.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 .

plasmastate
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1h View Post
Shouldn't this thread be called "problems with my s4" I have none of these issues to date.

Oops sorry just realised you are talking about the i9500, if that makes any difference.
Yes, problems numbered 1,2,3,6,7,8,10,11,12 and 13 are very common here on xda. I wanted to summarize everything in a single thread.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using xda premium

Dean-xXx
Old
Thanks Meter 124

DONATE TO ME
On my i9505 is only 6 and 7.
I'm on the fw which the phone came with (MDM).
Waiting for the next BTU release to flash.
Don't Forget To Press Thanks If Helped You.

Galaxy S4 i9505 Black Mist
Galaxy S3 i9300 Pebble Blue
Galaxy S3 i9300 Pebble Blue > Stolen

G-XtremE
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmastate View Post
Hi guys.
I am going to list the common issues with my i9500.
Got it 2 weeks back and have been testing it thoroughly. Currently on latest ME1 firmware.

1.Overheating

2.Camera Crash

7. Screen smearing issue

10. Camera Lag when opening

11. Gallery lag when opening

Whoever gets any of these issues please keep confirming or adding any more issues I missed. All these issues are currently present in alot of brand new s4 units worldwide.
In the quote section is the list of the issues I'm encountering on my S4 9500 vers. I have to mention that my phone reboots when the camera crashes. Another issue would be the battery life (10-12 hrs with 2 hrs screen time on).

I believe all of these issues are easily solvable via a firmware update. Hurry up Sammy.

Black Galaxy S4 GT-I9505
All Stock 4.2.2 XXUBMGA

azeter
Old
Thanks Meter 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-XtremE View Post
In the quote section is the list of the issues I'm encountering on my S4 9500 vers. I have to mention that my phone reboots when the camera crashes. Another issue would be the battery life (10-12 hrs with 2 hrs screen time on).

I believe all of these issues are easily solvable via a firmware update. Hurry up Sammy.
Camera crash temporary solution - android booster works for me till now nt a single crash

Sent from my Galaxy S4 .

ipmanwck
Old
Thanks Meter 344
Biggest problem of them all http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2258831

Custom Stock Rom 5.0
Brilliantly Stock