EDIT: Just use Framaroot. Simple. No PC required. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2130276. Just install the App and use one of the exploits.
*You can ignore this* OLD METHOD: (use this if you have a lot of time to waste )
Get "Motochopper, developed by djrbliss" for rooting Motorola devices. It works on most devices running Jelly bean 4.1 and above.
Original post (requires logging in) / Thread on XDA / # Alternate Download (Mirror)#
Here's what you need before you Root.
1. Any Phone with MediaTek MTK6589 Processor and Jelly Bean 4.1+
2. Drivers for ADB (connects the pc with the phone through USB Debugging) - there are many sources to get these drivers. If you're running the stock micromax firmware, it's found onboard when you connect the usb. For others running custom firmware, you could download from moulnisky.com. Even windows update might automatically install these drivers for you, but it's time consuming. After you've installed this, proceed to the next step to find out if you've established a proper connection between phone and pc.
3. Connect the phone to PC via USB cable and run the motochopper (run.bat file). press ok. then connect the phone to pc and enable USB debugging from the developer tools. Now the tool should push the exploit and root your phone. if no device is detected, go back to step two and install the correct drivers. if it's done, you're a superuser.
Note: In Android 4.2, Developer Tools will be hidden by default. You'll have to enable it first. For that, Go to Settings > About Phone > Build Number > Tap 7 Times.
Wanna Unroot and go back to Normal user?
SuperSu > Settings > Full Cleanup and Manually Reboot.
Installing Custom Recovery:-
This is a Must-if you have a rooted phone. Install a custom recovery before you start changing any system files. this will come in handy in case you mess up your phone and stuck in bootloop. It is commonly used for installing unofficial firmwares and also for backing up your perfectly working firmware.
To install a Custom Recovery, follow these steps. ( Root permissions needed )
1. Root the phone (refer above).
2. Download Mobileuncle MTK Tools from the Play Store.
. Download a Custom Recovery of your choice and place it on your external SD card without any folders. the recovery image file must have the word recovery in it for the app to detect it. i.e twrprecovery,recovery-twrp,etc.. so whatever sources you get the recovery image from, rename it accordingly.
Clockworkmod and TWRP are the most commonly used custom recoveries. It's up to you to decide which one you're installing. TWRP vs Clockworkmod: Which custom recovery is the best?
3. Now run Mobileuncle Tool. Recovery Update > You'll find the recovery image there. Select and confirm to install. Done.
More info: Backups taken with clockworkmod don't work with twrp. so choose your family wisely.
Re-installing the Stock Recovery:-
If you want to revert to the Stock Recovery at some point due to some reason, HERE is the stock recovery taken from the stock firmware. You can flash it through Mobileuncle just like you flashed custom recovery.
Launching the Phone in Recovery mode:-
Switch off the Phone and wait till it's completely off. Pressing Volume Up + Power will enter the Recovery mode.
Wanna Upgrade to a Newer version of Android ? or Have you just messed up your Phone ? Worry-Not. Here's the solution for all your problems. As the saying goes " A MediaTek Phone can never be Hard-bricked ". It can only be Soft-bricked and then it's easy to resurrect it back from the Dead with SmartPhone Flash Tool.
Here's what you need:
1. Micromax Micromax Canvas HD (I'm not sure if this firmware will work with any variants of this Device.)
2. The Latest Firmware for Micromax Canvas HD: S9201_4.2_MP_F3F8_B1_IN_MMX_14_FLASHER_USER (Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean, Released on 18-October-2013)
3. Download the latest version of Smart Phone Flash Tools: Download v3.1312.0.139
4. MediaTek PreLoader USB VCOM Port Drivers - (Download) - This is the most important part. If you don't install these drivers, SP Flash Tools will not work.
Note: these aren't the same drivers that comes with the Phone or those Unsigned Drivers provided by many sources. These are signed drivers and works with all versions of Windows (includes 7,8 x64 versions)
How to install: Don't download the first file (it's just an installer). Get the two other files which are the Drivers. Keep them in a folder and extract them. You will have two .inf files. Right click on both of them and install. Simple.
5. After downloading all the required files and installing the drivers, power off your phone completely and remove the USB cable. Now remove the battery from the phone.
6. Extract the zip file containing the micromax firmware to some folder and then run SP Flash Tools. Now select the Scatter-Loading File which is inside the extracted folder named as "MT6589_Android_scatter_emmc". Press Download and connect the USB cable to the phone (without battery). It takes around two minutes to complete. Removing it mid-way will only mess-up the phone. After a Green circle is shown on screen, you can remove the cable and turn on the phone. That's all.
Note: If you're upgrading from Android 4.1 to 4.2, for the first time, You might enter an app called TP Upgrade that will run on the first boot. It's a Nice app. It upgrades your TouchPad drivers to the latest version and will ask for confirmation.but the thing is "DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING ON YOUR SCREEN WHILE IT'S THERE (NOT EVEN THE OK BUTTON)". It will start by it's own and completes in around 5 minutes approximately. If you accidentally touch the screen, your TouchPad will stop working. Now, Don't Panic. Welcome to the League. Now remove the battery from the phone and restart. You should see the same TP Upgrade coming up again. Have some snacks and don't do what you did last time. It'll be fine.
djrbliss for motochopper
suhas.holla for the clockworkmod recovery
kumar abhishek for the twrp recovery port.
Don't forget to hit that thank button.