Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,783,010 Members 44,761 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Cracking Open - Hisense Sero 7 Pro

Tip us?

sammysp
Old
(Last edited by sammysp; 28th May 2013 at 07:56 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 21
Default Cracking Open - Hisense Sero 7 Pro

Since there isn't a category for this new budget android tablet yet, I'm posing these images here for now. This device was exceptionally easy to open, and could be done using a plastic tool. I started at the top, near the HDMI / USB ports, and just worked my way around the outer edge of the glass bezel until all of the tabs popped free.

Hisense Sero 7 Pro:

Back Cover Removed:

Back Cover, NFC antenna:

Ports, Micro SD slot - note how these are all on the main board:

Speakers, NFC connection, GPS:

I hope this helps anyone who is like me, and just wants to know how things have been designed on this budget tablet vs the Nexus 7 .
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to sammysp For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sammysp
Old
(Last edited by sammysp; 29th May 2013 at 07:23 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 21
Default More Pics

I wonder if there are any compatible cameras that could be dropped-in to replace the somewhat mediocre rear camera on this tablet?

Front and Rear Cameras.
Notice the mystery connector on the left. What that might have been used for?

Rear Camera Connection:

Nvidia Processor:

Be careful not to touch the surrounding material when cleaning the inside lens of the rear camera before reassembly, or this will happen to you:
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sammysp For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

RoundSparrow
Old
Thanks Meter 11
is this entire tablet just 3 chips or something Seems pretty sparse.

Thank you for posting.

sammysp
Old
(Last edited by sammysp; 29th May 2013 at 10:49 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundSparrow View Post
is this entire tablet just 3 chips or something Seems pretty sparse.

Thank you for posting.
The chip that counts is that shiny nvidia tegra 3! Not bad for a $149 tablet. The strange part of this product launch is that none of the walmart employees seem to have been informed of it, it's not on display, and as of today it has been listed as unavailable in all stores, even though most stores still have some of these 'in the back' or most likely in the under-display cabinet. Also, there is no documentation or support (aside from the efforts of the xda-developers community ).

It is a bit scary having all of the ports on the main board, but given the space constraints with having the microsd and hdmi, in addition to micro usb, it makes sense. I personally won't buy a laptop with a power jack soldered directly onto the main board, because it's just nice to know that I can replace a power board if needed - the Nexus 7 is the same in this regard with having the USB port on a separate (easily replaceable) board. I'll be using this as a remote OTG host pc (assuming it can fully support OTG- still waiting for OTG cable), so breaking the USB port doesn't worry me much.

michrech
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default Walmart display units

My local Walmart had the LT and the Pro in their display case, though both were in their boxes. They had lots of LT's on the shelf, but all the PRO's were 'in the back' (they had 15 total).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammysp View Post
The chip that counts is that shiny nvidia tegra 3! Not bad for a $149 tablet. The strange part of this product launch is that none of the walmart employees seem to have been informed of it, it's not on display, and as of today it has been listed as unavailable in all stores, even though most stores still have some of these 'in the back' or most likely in the under-display cabinet. Also, there is no documentation or support (aside from the efforts of the xda-developers community ).

It is a bit scary having all of the ports on the main board, but given the space constraints with having the microsd and hdmi, in addition to micro usb, it makes sense. I personally won't buy a laptop with a power jack soldered directly onto the main board, because it's just nice to know that I can replace a power board if needed - the Nexus 7 is the same in this regard with having the USB port on a separate (easily replaceable) board. I'll be using this as a remote OTG host pc (assuming it can fully support OTG- still waiting for OTG cable), so breaking the USB port doesn't worry me much.

danyal241
Old
Thanks Meter 65
I am not in the states and had to have some bring it for me from there. I was a previous owner of asus 300t but the screen stop responding to touches and since i had rooted it and unlocked the bootloader its out of warranty. I was low on money so I bought this lets see how it works out for me. Hope its as good as a nexus 7. And hope to see a place for this budget tab on xda....

Nomad692000
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by danyal241 View Post
I am not in the states and had to have some bring it for me from there. I was a previous owner of asus 300t but the screen stop responding to touches and since i had rooted it and unlocked the bootloader its out of warranty. I was low on money so I bought this lets see how it works out for me. Hope its as good as a nexus 7. And hope to see a place for this budget tab on xda....
Same happened to me and the 300t, grabbed a N7 nice tab but was missing some features I thought I could do without, well I couldn't. Gave it to my 13 yr old son and got me the Hisense Sero 7 Pro love it best 129.00 usd I've spent in a while.
Sent from my TF300F from under a big rock.
or
My Sero 7 Pro from under a small rock.

danyal241
Old
Thanks Meter 65
Well I picked up mine for 159 I love it. But today I saw another China tab for same price with a 1.6ghz CPU the same one in s3 at the same price.... I wonder how good that is...
Sent from my GT-S5830 using xda app-developers app

Angus66
Old
Thanks Meter 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by danyal241 View Post
Well I picked up mine for 159 I love it. But today I saw another China tab for same price with a 1.6ghz CPU the same one in s3 at the same price.... I wonder how good that is...
Sent from my GT-S5830 using xda app-developers app
What Chinese tablet has those specs?

Sent from my Nexus 7 FHD
Nexus 10 32GB
Nexus 7 FHD 32GB
Nexus 7 FHD 16GB (Wife's Tablet)
Asus MeMO Pad ME301T 16GB (Son's Tablet)

danyal241
Old
Thanks Meter 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus66 View Post
What Chinese tablet has those specs?

Sent from my Nexus 7 FHD
CPU
Samsung Exynos 4412 Quad Core 1.6GHz

GPU:
Mali-400 MP4

RAM
1GB DDR

Screen
7inch 1280* 800

Android O/S
Android 4.2 Touching panel capacitive touching screen

Camera
Front 0.3MP + Back 2.0 MP

WIFI
IEEE 802.11b/g/n

Lithium-ion Battery
3000 mAh (Li-Lithium)

Stand by time
2-4 hours

Bluetooth
Yes

Current Language
Multi-language

Memory
8GB

Storage extend
Micro-SD(UP to 32GB)

Video player
AVI(H.264, DIVX, DIVX, XVID, rm, rmvb, MKV(H.264, DIVX, DIVX, XVID),
WMV, MOV, MP4(H.264, MPEG, DIVX, XVID), DAT(VCD), VOB(DVD),
PMP,MPEG, MPG, FLV(H.263,H.264), ASF, TS, TP, 3GP, MPG etc

Audio player
MP3,WMA,MP2,OGG,AAC,M4A,MA4,FLAC,APE,3GP,WAV

Photo
JPG, JPEG, GIF, BMP, PNG

Ebook
TXT, EPUB, PDF,WORD,EXCEL, POWERPOINTS

Other
Google-talk, Youtube, Hand input, video online(YOUTUBE),3D game

Network

WIFI
IEEE 802.11b/g/n

G Sensor
Yes

USB port
Mico 5pin USB port

Micro-SD slot
UP to 32GB

Earphone Jack
1 (3.5mm)

DC IN
1 (2.5mm)

Speaker
built-in stereo

HDMI
Yes

Its available in local market here. Dont know how good it is as china products only have checking warranty in my country. Its called iTek Galaxy s7

Tags
hisense sero 7 pro, opening sero 7 pro, opening up sero 7 pro, sero 7, sero 7 pro