5,593,793 Members 46,573 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[P769][Debloat] JellyBean Safe Apps to Remove

Tip us?
 
tribalartgod
Old
(Last edited by tribalartgod; 3rd June 2013 at 01:27 PM.)
#1  
tribalartgod's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 473
Posts: 941
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Right here

 
DONATE TO ME
Default [P769][Debloat] JellyBean Safe Apps to Remove

ROOTED JellyBean Safe to Remove Apps List

If you have found other apps that are safe to remove with NO adverse effects, please comment, and I will update the OP.

FROM POST 10, by chicguy
+ Update from carriers (OTA updates) will not work after removing even one of the bloatwares. Disabling the apps will not affect OTA updates however.
+ Don't just remove thing because of the sake of removing it. Know your stuff!



The purpose of this is to show you how much junk you can remove from stock rooted. Most of this stuff can be reinstalled from the Play Store if you want it back.
I would suggest removing ANYTHING that can be donwloaded again later. This gives you full reign over the app...Not just it's data and updates.

YOU, not me or anyone else, accepts all risks. You have been warned

Here's the List:


411 and More - com.tmobile.d411
Amazon - com.amazon.mShop.android
Application Manager - com.lge.appbox.client
Bonus Apps - com.tmobile.bonusapps
Browser - com.android.browser
Caller Tunes - com.tmobile.callertunes
Chrome - com.android.chrome
CMAS - com.lge.cmas
Email - com.lge.email
Email Widget - com.lge.sizechangeable.email
Facebook - com.facebook.katana
Favorite Contacts Widget - com.lge.sizechangeable.favoritecontacts
Feather - com.lge.livewallpaper.feather
File Manager - com.lge.filemanager
FileShare - itectokyo.fileshare.ics20
Game Base - com.tmobile.gamebase
Games - com.wildtangent.android
GMail - com.google.android.gm
Google Play Books - com.google.apps.books
Google Play Magazine - com.google.apps.magazine
Google Play Movies/TV - com.google.android.videos
Google Play Music - com.google.android.music
Google Plus - com.google.android.apps.plus
Home (Only if you have another installed first)
Home Chooser
Home Theme (3 of them) - Leave these alone. Your experience may vary, but whenever these are
removed, the HOME app is auto installed again for some reason


LG MLT - com.lge.mlt (Feature in secret menu 3845#*!!!#) (!!! = Your model number)
NOTE: I personally remove this. Most will opt to simply disable it.
Additional Notes: "MLT", per default is enabled, and probably serves purpose to help LG with
remote support, but it tries to track all your activity and logs GPS position together with the
details gathered, and that includes calls, apps starting, removing etc...
This information is stored on the /mpt partition, in the MPT_MainData.db file. This file only
logs what is in 4.1.2 for some reason.

Final Notes: Some users have reported faster response, and in some cases more free RAM. Your
results may vary. Remove/Disable at your own risk.


Lookout Security - com.lookout
Maps - com.google.android.apps.maps
Mobile Life - com.tmobile.highlight
Photo Album - com.lge.sizechangeable.photoalbum
Picasa Uploader - com.google.android.apps.uploader
Polar Bear - com.lge.livewallpaper.polarbear
Polaris Office - com.infraware.polarisoffice
Scout - com.telenav.app.android.scout_us
Slacker Radio - com.slacker.radio
SmartShare - com.lge.smartshare
Sticky Note - com.lge.android.stickynotes.widget
T-Mobile My Account - com.tmobile.pr.mytmobile
T-Mobile Name ID - com.cequint.ecid
T-Mobile TV - com.mobitv.client.tmobiletvhd
Tags - com.google.android.tag
Talk - com.google.android.talk
TalkBack - com.google.marvin.talkback
The Little Prince - com.lge.livewallpaper.prince
Visual Voicemail - com.tmobile.vvm.application
Weather - com.lge.sizechangeable.weather
YouTube - com.google.android.youtube
Zynga Games - com.zynga.msc.widget.tmobile

Need an Alpha or Beta tester? Inbox me!
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to tribalartgod For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
kevev
Old
#2  
kevev's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 218
Posts: 1,132
Join Date: May 2006
Thanks Man! This needs a to be stickied.
 
Tablechair
Old
#3  
Tablechair's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 114
Posts: 263
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Naugatuck CT
Hey good post man.

I just wanna add 2 things I've experienced removing bloatware from this phone. After removing all this an OTA update will most likely fail. Also if you for any reason perform a hard reset it will hang during phone setup and you will need to KDZ flash to make the phone usable again. So to be safe I recommend backing up system/app so you can replace missing APKs if you need to get an OTA update or if you're stuck on initial setup following a hard reset.

Sent from my LG-P769 using xda premium
Always happy to help.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tablechair For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
tribalartgod
Old
(Last edited by tribalartgod; 29th May 2013 at 01:44 AM.)
#4  
tribalartgod's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 473
Posts: 941
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Right here

 
DONATE TO ME
I've had my fair share of trial and ERROR with this phone, so I can now recover from Damn near anything. Lol. However...

I'm glad this info is on the first page. When I'm on a pc tomorrow, I'll link yours and other useful posts in the op. ...if that's cool with you..

Need an Alpha or Beta tester? Inbox me!
 
chicguy
Old
#5  
Member
Thanks Meter 12
Posts: 58
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tablechair View Post
Hey good post man.

I just wanna add 2 things I've experienced removing bloatware from this phone. After removing all this an OTA update will most likely fail. Also if you for any reason perform a hard reset it will hang during phone setup and you will need to KDZ flash to make the phone usable again. So to be safe I recommend backing up system/app so you can replace missing APKs if you need to get an OTA update or if you're stuck on initial setup following a hard reset.

Sent from my LG-P769 using xda premium
Good one here!
In my opinion, best advice is to disable apps. Removing and disabling apps is not different except for disk space and aesthetic. You will not gain much space from remove system stuff, but introduce a whole new troubles of reinstalling stuffs when you want to get OTA updates. Frankly, just buy a bigger SD card (few $ different), use an SD swapper script or program and be with disabling all those unwanted.
Again, my point is: "unable to do OTA updates" shouldn't mean "safe apps to remove".
 
tribalartgod
Old
#6  
tribalartgod's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 473
Posts: 941
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Right here

 
DONATE TO ME
One might argue... If you are rooted and go to all the trouble to remove these apps, why would you want an OTA?

This list is made under the assumption, this is the Rom you are keeping for a while. If you got this far, then getting to an OTA, if that's what's wanted, "should" require you to do a bit of work. And since there is currently no OTA from this point, it shouldn't matter... yet.

Need an Alpha or Beta tester? Inbox me!
 
fcinterbgd
Old
#7  
fcinterbgd's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 7
Posts: 101
Join Date: Jul 2010
Good job
 
chicguy
Old
#8  
Member
Thanks Meter 12
Posts: 58
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalartgod View Post
One might argue... If you are rooted and go to all the trouble to remove these apps, why would you want an OTA?

This list is made under the assumption, this is the Rom you are keeping for a while. If you got this far, then getting to an OTA, if that's what's wanted, "should" require you to do a bit of work. And since there is currently no OTA from this point, it shouldn't matter... yet.
First, for a newly released phone, OTA is expected to be regularly, so why not OTA?
Second, unless you rely on very popular ROMs, the chance you got updates on customized ROM are rare. So you might miss out security updates (and I know I am paranoid ).
Third, again, disabling apps is not different from removing apps except for little disk space and the aesthetic of a setting page. But disable apps will save you from troubles in case of anything happen (not just only OTA), you can always revert it back in a few clicks.
So, I would say "ROOTED JellyBean Safe to Disable Apps List" is better for the sake of whoever use the list
 
tribalartgod
Old
#9  
tribalartgod's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 473
Posts: 941
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Right here

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicguy View Post
First, for a newly released phone, OTA is expected to be regularly, so why not OTA?
Second, unless you rely on very popular ROMs, the chance you got updates on customized ROM are rare. So you might miss out security updates (and I know I am paranoid ).
Third, again, disabling apps is not different from removing apps except for little disk space and the aesthetic of a setting page. But disable apps will save you from troubles in case of anything happen (not just only OTA), you can always revert it back in a few clicks.
So, I would say "ROOTED JellyBean Safe to Disable Apps List" is better for the sake of whoever use the list
Might I draw your attention to the second item in red, on the OP...

Need an Alpha or Beta tester? Inbox me!
 
chicguy
Old
#10  
Member
Thanks Meter 12
Posts: 58
Join Date: May 2011
Oh yeah, now I notice two things:
Quote:
NOTE: I personally remove this. Most will opt to simply disable it. ... Remove/Disable at your own risk.
Good one, gave you a Thank
Quote:
YOU, not me or anyone else, accepts all risks. You have been warned
This one ... should be accomplished with a "known risks" section, like a "bug" or "not working" section in almost any comprehensive posts in XDA. Otherwise people just think it is totally safe, with the 0.0001% chance of breaking thing. A few thing to consider:
+ Update from carriers (OTA updates) will not work after removing even one of the bloatwares. Disabling the apps will not affect OTA updates however.
+ Don't just remove thing because of the sake of removing it. Know your stuff!

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes