While flashing roms, many times we get a "status 7 error". While searching in many threads, we do not get how to resolve it. I will tell you each and every thing step by step. Make sure you read all the cases mentioned below, even if you are sure about any particular case listed below.
Rules to be followed
1. Points marked in BLUE are to be read CAREFULLY
2. Points marked in RED are to be read EXTRA CAREFULLY
The cases are discussed as below.
Case 1- (Status 7 error while flashing kitkat roms)
This can be referred as a general checking step. Check that you are using the latest version of TWRP/CWM. The older versions of these recoveries pop out the status 7 error while flashing kitkat roms.
Latest TWRP version= 2.7 (220.127.116.11 also works)
Latest CWM version=6.0.3 up
Case 2- (Status 7 error while flashing Kitkat roms and Mods)
While moving to any kitkat rom from previous android versions (..,..., 4.0,....,4.3)
Make sure that the rom you have downloaded matches your phone model, if you flashed some other rom, you may hard brick your device.
(For the reference of this step, check the images in the next post)
1. First extract your rom (for example using 7-zip)
2. Go to the folder META_INF > COM > GOOGLE > ANDROID
3. Here you will find a file "updater-script"
4. Rename this file as updater-script.doc (microsoft word format) or use notepad++ (preferably)
(in some pc, extensions are nor visible. to make them visible, follow these steps)
Open Folder Options by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, and then clicking
Click the View tab, and then, under Advanced settings, do one of the following:
To display file extensions, clear the Hide extensions for known file types check box, and then click OK.
5. Double click to open it( microsoft word preferred)
6. delete text, starting from "assert ....... till the semicolon( of the last getprop command. (see image in attached file-lines to delete)
7. Now save the file
8. Again rename the file, and delete the .doc extention
9. now go back to the main rom folder where you extracted the 3 files. zip these files again. and you will get a zipped rom.
Case 3- (If case 1,2 fails and you are SURE that you are flashing the right file)
Double check that the Rom/Mod you are flashing matches your phone model.
In TWRP there is a provision to skip the checking of the assert lines due to which status 7 error pops out.
1. After you select the zip to be flashed, it prompts you for the "signature verification".
2. Uncheck it.
3. Proceed further as normal.
And the status 7 error has now been removed!
Feel free to ask any kind of question in the comments section.