[HOWTO] Enable Hidden Menus for Verizon Galaxy S4

Search This thread

zdanman

Feb 28, 2015
Doesnt work. Ive successfully changed HiddenMenu contents from OFF to ON and *#2663# still doesnt work or any code for that matter

ryanallaire

Dec 18, 2012
RANCHO CUCAMONGA
OnePlus 10 Pro
I added hiddenmenu to build.prop, changed it from off to on in efs/carrier/hiddenmenu, visually saw that the smsc number was right, and I still can't send SMS.. oh and I can't access the 4636 hidden menu either... The only thing I see weird is when I change the smsc number (I'm using an app called advanced signal) it won't stick..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Since VZW and Samsung Level 2 support didn't know the answer, here is how to enable the hidden menus on the dialer screen for the Verizon GS4. Previously, there was a 'master' code that enabled the hidden menus. Now it is a filesystem based check. Boo!

Due to editing /system/build.prop and /efs/carrier/HiddenMenu you MUST be rooted. Also, you must be on a stock TouchWiz-based ROM. This will not work on CM builds/etc. At a very minimum, hiddenmenu.apk must be present on your stock device for this to work, but possibly others, so beware of ROMs that remove 'bloat' APKs.

1) Add the following line* to /system/build.prop
    Code:
    sys.hiddenmenu.enable=1

Edit: I noticed that after I hosed build.prop, it was replaced when I loaded the default system image, so in fact, step 1 above is not necessary, at least for the Verizon variant. This means that once you do step #2 below, the changes made to /efs/carrier/HiddenMenu will persist after an Odin restore of the NoWipe Factory Image posted here. What this means is that root is only required to make the modification, and one could revert to stock afterwards with the hidden menus enabled.

2) Change the contents of /efs/carrier/HiddenMenu from OFF to ON

3) Reboot.

4) Try it out! Go to the phone dialer and enter *#06# (show MEID) as a test.

For more codes that worked on the S3 that (may) also work on the S4, see below:
    http://androidforums.com/samsung-ga...unlocking-jelly-bean-service-modes-found.html

Having the hidden menus enabled is particularly useful for those who want to disable WiFi Power Saving mode -- I was having issues with an access point at work, but sadly disabling it didn't fix the problem. Otherwise, the hidden menus are useful to test your sensors/display/etc or just looking around in general. Enjoy!

For those that are NOT rooted, there is an alternative to get to SOME of these menus, but it is not a free app (currently $1.99). It's called "Sammy S Mode". Note that I am not affiliated with the developer, I just bought it to test if the menus were present before I dug deeper into finding out how to fully enable the hidden menus on my Verizon Galaxy S4. When I have time in the next day or so, I'll try to figure out how the app calls the menus, and update the post if I find a free solution for those that are not rooted.
    ---

* Note: I added the "sys.hiddenmenu.enable=1" line right after the "persist.cne.feature=0" one, but I don't think it matters where you add it. Just be careful editing this file. I managed to get my phone boot-looping, probably because I used notepad to edit the file and it added Windows CR/LFs to it, and had to use the NoWipe Factory Image posted here to restore my phone. The second time around I used Root Explorer's built in text editor and it worked fine.

In case anyone is curious how I figured this out, click here.
    Mods: Thanks for moving this to the development section since it fits better here. :)

---

I wanted to compile a list of the ones that seem useful or new in general and working for me:

*#197328640# Service Mode
    *#0228# BatteryStatus
    *#0*# Screen/Sensor/Vibration/Touch/Speaker/LED/etc testing -- even gives out raw values for light sensor, barometer, etc in real time :)
    *#2263 RF Band Selection
    *#66336 MDM Randump Mode (defaults to OFF)
    To anyone That's Having Issues With This.. I Have The Newest Firmware and I Have it Rooted With The Bootloader Still Locked.. all You Have to Do is:
    Download ES Explorer Which is Free on The Market.
    Open it Then Click The Menu
    Click on Root Explorer and Make Sure It's Enabled.
    Then Click on Top Right corner Where it Says sdcard and Select Device
    Now Click efs Then carrier Then hidden Menu It'll Prompt you to Select then Select text
    click on Es Note Editor
    Click Menu Edit
    Change it to ON Then Click Back
    It'll Ask you if you want to Save
    Say Yes and Then Get out of There and Reboot

:)

Worked Great For Me :)
    I figured this out and built an app to do it about a week ago. I also have all the dialer codes for the s4, pulled them from the phone. If people want it I guess I could release it. I would need to clean it up a bit first though.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
    In the same boat here, can't get to band selection.

*#27663368378#

Umts -> Debug Screen -> Phone Control -> Network Control -> Band Selection -> LTE Band Preference

(on Verizon GS4 w/Hyperdrive 10)
    The Service Mode Main Menu code is: *#197328640#.

Working for me.

Interesting choice of code sequence. 1973, 286 (intel), 40 (your age this year if born in 73)

Sent from my SGS4 using one opposable thumb.