Planning to take xda IIs apart.

OP Anonymous

wertert
6th December 2004, 05:23 PM   |  #1  
Thanks Meter: 0

n/a posts
I want to take my XDA IIs apart to see if it's possible to;

1) tighten up the keyboard slider mechanism.
2) make the 'stops' that hold the screen in the open position a little stronger. ie screen will not no easilly drop onto my thumbs while typing in bed.

Before I start I thought I'd open the idea up to the forum....Any advice please ?

There seem to be two sets of screws to play with, two T6? on the sides and two smaller screws on the back of the screen ( when opened ) which seem smaller. There are also three screws in the battery bay which I think are not related.

I'll take a few photos while I'm inside and post.

Jeff
6th December 2004, 07:14 PM   |  #2  

26 posts
That would be really useful as i am thinking of doing the same, mine is starting to loosen (tho o2 are being very nice to me at the moment and offering me a new one!)
10th December 2004, 02:48 PM   |  #3  

35 posts
dismantled my XDA IIs
ok the phone has been dismantled. You can see a few pics at the following URL.

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/1081010

They will load full size if you click on them a few times.

I will update the pics later with some text. Some initial observations.

1) The slider 'rail' system is spot/heat welded to the phone body - pict 2291 - does leave alot of room for adjustment.
2) The mic is actually quite large - if the mic hole in the casing was larger I think the people-ask-me-to-speak-louder problem would be improved.
3) The clip that holds the phone in the open/closed position is rubbish - pict 2295 - I would say that if this clip was stiffer the slider mechanism would function much better.
10th December 2004, 04:02 PM   |  #4  

35 posts
sorry. point 1 should read...

1) The slider 'rail' system is spot/heat welded to the phone body - pict 2291 - does NOT leave alot of room for adjustment.
10th December 2004, 04:13 PM   |  #5  

18 posts
Hi, if it's not too much trouble, could you enlarge the part where the volume slider is? Mine don't seems to have any latch where the silver button can catch onto (i.e when i fixed back the casing, the button is very loose and unable to adjust the volume no matter how much i slide it up or down). TIA!
10th December 2004, 07:36 PM   |  #6  

n/a posts
Hi - if you click on the thumbnail you get a slightly larger version, if you then click on this you get a new browser windows which gives you the full 4 Megapixel size of 2304 x 1704 pixels which gives alot of detail. These are all the ( in focus ) pictures that I have. The phone has now been put back together.
10th December 2004, 09:05 PM   |  #7  
PA

36 posts
When I click on a thumbnail I get a medium-sized image, but clicking on that does nothing. Is there another way for us to get the fullsize images?

Thanks!
13th December 2004, 09:44 AM   |  #8  
Flag Nottingham
Thanks Meter: 5

60 posts
Replace the screen
Now the IIs is open, have you considered replacing the screen with an ordinary II? Do the connectors look the same?
Ive been reading, and can now observe for myself that the IIs screen is more 'yellow' than the II.
Thoughts?
14th December 2004, 12:38 PM   |  #9  

n/a posts
sorry about the delay. Download the full size pics here

www.perfectmotion.co.uk/xda2s.zip

They're 4.5Mb !

No plans to swap the screen. Quite happy with mine.
15th December 2004, 12:47 AM   |  #10  

21 posts
Kudos for your bravery! Please post your solution to tightening the slider. You will undoubtedly ascend to PPC demi-god status if you find a way.Excellent work! Keep us updated please.

Cheers!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread